Poll: The Beginners Guide To Guitars, Other Musical Instruments And Equipment Sticky

Which First Guitar

• Yamaha Pacifica 112

Votes: 90 37.7%
  • Squier Standard Stra

Votes: 59 24.7%
  • Ibanez GRG170

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Epiphone Les Paul Special II

Votes: 36 15.1%
  • Ibanez RG321

Votes: 24 10.0%
  • Epiphone G400

Votes: 19 7.9%

• Total voters
Associate
Strings are strings, there isn't a massive difference between different brands tbh. I use D'Addarios, because that's what the local shop stocks, and I haven't tried many other brands. Tried some Slinkys once, didn't think they lasted as long as the D'Addario's, plus they're more difficult to get locally.

It's been said that strings react differently to different people, which is probaly quite true, dependant on how much you sweat etc. The only thing that really matters is the gauge of strings, imo, but that's also personal preference.

Soldato
The Vintage V300 has been recommended to me as a very good beginners acoustic guitar. Does anyone have one of these? I've read quite a few glowing reviews about them, and it's won "Best Guitar Under £1000". Budget is about £100, and I can get this for £101 delivered. Obviously, I'll give it a try before any money is handed over, but I just wondered if anyone here has an opinion on this.

Cheers :)

[EDIT] I NOW HAVE A GUITAR, I DON'T NEED ANY MORE ADVICE. CHEERS :)

Soldato
Thanks :) I'm not expecting it to compare to a £250+ acoustic. I just want something that will be good for learning on, and that I can start to practice some fingerpicking when I'm good enough. Will definitely be trying before I buy too.

[EDIT] I NOW HAVE A GUITAR, I DON'T NEED ANY MORE ADVICE. CHEERS :)

Associate
Hey LostKat, i too am looking for an acoustic guitar to learn on and the vintage V300 looks great and ive heard good things about it, so anyway did you get chance to try one? any impressions? probably looking to order one in the next few days just wondering what other people thought of it?

thanks

Soldato
i think your first guitar should be any cheap acoustic. obviously this is just my personal view.

but when i got taught guitar playing at school there were 3 of us, for the 3year i had lessons i only ever practiced on a classical acoustic (nylon) the other 2 players had electrics for practice and playing.

i couldnt afford an electric straight away, but for 2years practicing and using an acoustic when it came to the electric it was a doddle, still is. i dont mean to blow my own trumpet but i was well ahead of the other two people cos its a lot harder to learn playing full size acoustic with the wider neck.

so yeh, i recommend wait a bit for an electric

Associate
I would recommend buy whatever guitar suits the music you want to play. If you're playing high gain rock stuff, don't buy an accoustic. True, starting on an accoustic makes playing electric seem easier in comparison, but I don't think it makes you any better long term than starting an electric.

There's a myth, that I fell foul of, that your first guitar has to be an accoustic. Rubbish! Buy what you want to buy. If you want an accoustic, buy an accoustic. If you want an electric, buy an electric.

And that's my personal view. ;)

Soldato
I would definately recommend a Fender Stratacoustic as a decent first guitar.

They have recieved a lot of mixed reviews, but I've had mine for a while and it sounds lovely.
Plus it's and electro accoustic and its light if you need to take it on planes like i do...
But it costs around 200...

Associate
I'd disagree with the whole starting on an accoustic thing. Don't get me wrong i adimantly believe you should play both. But if your planning to play electric from the outset you need to start on an electric.
Prime example is my brother. Simple things like releasing strings on hi gain without getting an open tone, setting EQs, setting tone - he can't do any of these because he's played accoustic. He's grade 8 Classical on technical ability and at least grade 6 on theory, he is quite astoundingly good. However i'm self taught for 3 years and he's had lessons for nearly 10 years and on electric i completely kick his ass hands down because accoustic tends to be far more tolerant to minor inaccuracies in your technique than electric. For instance brushing low E with your thumb accidentally on accoustic would be soo quiet no one would notice. On electric od channel would pick it up and start feeding back and getting louder and louder, overlapping with your other playing.

Other points - get a decent amp. If your serious, commit to buying a good amp because cheap 10Ws in starter packs don't sound anything like the tracks your trying to learn and it's very dishartening and i know a few people who believed they were poor players till i let them use my JCM and even sometimes just my plastic multiFX box. Then it started to sound like the real thing and they realised they were playing it right afterall. Also even if you can't afford a good guitar, get a good amp first cos a mediocre guitar+a good amp sounds far better than a good guitar + a crap amp.
When buying guitars and amps, ALWAYS try before you buy. If you don;t know what your looking for, take a mate who knows something or ask the shop staff if it'll suit the sound you want, but try it anyway. Small shops are best for this as they will let you try every guitar and amp in the shop if they think you might buy some stuff. Get to know them by poping in regularly and looking at stuff/buying plectrums. If he knows what you want you might just walk in one day and he'll say "i've got just the thing for you". If not they're still more likely to recomend what's best for you not what your more likely to buy from him.
That's the best advice i have.

Associate
I'm looking for an electric guitar setup for a beginner and I'm in need of names of a few good retailers

I'd like the setup to be less than £200 ideally so I'm hoping to find something good in the sales

TIA
C

Man of Honour
chrisstevens said:
I'm looking for an electric guitar setup for a beginner and I'm in need of names of a few good retailers

I'd like the setup to be less than £200 ideally so I'm hoping to find something good in the sales

TIA
C

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/p.php?n=97

There are packs or you could pick & mix.
On that page is a Yamaha guitar which you could combine with an amp from here -

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/p.php?n=129

Check out the Behringer V Tone.

The choice is yours.

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
Can anyone learn guitar? I mean do you have to have any latent musical talent or be able to sing? Cos I can do neither. Or is it just patience, enthusiasm and time thats required? I realise that some people have a natural ability to play guitar but would it just take me longer to learn or is it like football where no matter how hard I try I am always gonna be crap?

Man of Honour
VonClinkerhofen said:
Can anyone learn guitar? I mean do you have to have any latent musical talent or be able to sing? Cos I can do neither. Or is it just patience, enthusiasm and time thats required? I realise that some people have a natural ability to play guitar but would it just take me longer to learn or is it like football where no matter how hard I try I am always gonna be crap?

You have to have enthusiasm for the instrument or else you won't get anywhere.
However, like my cousin, you can be enthusiastic but have no sense of rhythm.
He can play all his chords but no way on this planet can he strum in time or change the chord in time and you can't teach it.
So everybody can learn chords but timing is in-built.
If you are the type of person that claps out of time and thinks everybody at the karaoke is great then don't bother.

Associate
dmpoole said:
He can play all his chords but no way on this planet can he strum in time or change the chord in time .

So does that mean he couldn't actually play an entire song or write a new one? I can spot a good singer from a really bad one but I couldn't emulate them and the shades of grey are hard to spot (ie whos best from 2 average singers)

Man of Honour
VonClinkerhofen said:
So does that mean he couldn't actually play an entire song or write a new one? I can spot a good singer from a really bad one but I couldn't emulate them and the shades of grey are hard to spot (ie whos best from 2 average singers)

He actually played in a rock n roll band has a rhythm guitarist but because there were a few of them (3 guitarists) you couldn't hear his miss-timing but you could see it. If he played on his own he'd be hitting the next chord two seconds early or late.

Associate
dmpoole said:
He actually played in a rock n roll band has a rhythm guitarist but because there were a few of them (3 guitarists) you couldn't hear his miss-timing but you could see it. If he played on his own he'd be hitting the next chord two seconds early or late.

Sounds like he's having fun which is the most important thing. Thanks for answering my dumb questions

Associate
GAK - Superb online guitar shop.

Okey, I highly praise them as there non-online sister company is litterly on my doorstep and *** staff in there are great and really helpful.

Anyway, GAK which stands for Guitar Amp Keyboard Centre sells everything musicy including:

Mixers
Keyboards
Guitars
Basses
Amps
Digital Recorders
Drum Kits
Microphones

and much more.

Also, there online prices are preety much not beatable and if you wanted better, try haggling in the shop.

So yer, check them out. www.gak.co.uk

Dave

Back
Top Bottom