The best songs ever?

Associate
Members of OCUK, I've been listening recently to some old songs that, whilst they aren't on my regular Spotify playlists, are timeless to me and it got me thinking, what is everyone's "greatest" songs ever?

I don't mean what you're necessarily listening to now as tastes change, but that one piece of music that over the years you listen to and it takes you to a great time or memory, or perhaps a song so catchy you can never get bored of it.

I was just browsing Spotify and re-discovered Nothing Else Matters by Metallica, a band I'm not a huge fan or a genre I don't generally listen to, but a song I deem to be one of the greatest ever after first hearing it probably 15+ years ago.

Another vote for me would be for William Orbit Barber's Adagio for Strings. Polar opposites to above but that intro is just incredible.

And finally from the second album I ever bought back in 2002

So, members of OCUK, what is your favorite song or piece of music ever? Could be a good way to discover some new music to update my aging playlists.

Associate
Thanks for reminding me about the William Orbit song, had completely forgotten about it and love it.

A few of mine would be:

The Chain - Fleetwood Mac
Cliffs of Dover - Eric johnson
Fade to Black - Metallica
A Tout Le Monde - Megadeth
All of Reanimation & Hybrid Theory

I could go on a lot longer, all songs that whilst I don't listen to on a regular basis, I don't think I could ever get bored of.

Associate
In before Rick Astley and some other notoriously annoying tune like Agadoo.

Too late for in before cherry-picking four individual songs from celebrated artists then lumping in a whole two albums by one single artist... :p (Sorry fella, no harm meant, each to their own and all that - I like the songs you picked :) ).

When I'm drunk there's a 78% chance I'll put on Down By The River by Neil Young in order to jam out for 8 minutes. I'm not saying it's THE best, but it's the fave that comes to mind at the mo. (I'm not drunk).

Soldato
Another Girl, Another Planet - The only Ones

Considered by many as one of the greatest rock singles of all time, and an inspiration to many of the artists already listed in this thread, I've enjoyed listening to it all my adult life.

Soldato
Another Girl, Another Planet - The only Ones

Considered by many as one of the greatest rock singles of all time, and an inspiration to many of the artists already listed in this thread, I've enjoyed listening to it all my adult life.

Ha i heard the Blink 182 cover and for along tie assumed it was there song until i come across the original.

Soldato
Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd
Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin
Master of Puppets, The Unforgiven, by Metallica
Hallowed Be Thy Name - Iron Maiden
Burn, Child in Time by Deep Purple
Bird of Paradise - Snowy White

Oh, this list can keep on going but I don't have the time....

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Tere Bin

Michael Jackson - Beat It

Dobie Gray - Drift Away

The Drifters - Save the Last Dance for Me

Chi-Lites - Oh Girl

Associate
The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset

Probably may favourite song. The music seems to conjour up exactly what the words are expressing, which is a rare songwriting gift.

Associate
I spend most of my time listening to Black Metal these days, which may make my pick slightly unexpected, but subjectively I feel that Everlong is possibly the greatest song ever written -

Soldato
The Chain - Fleetwood Mac

I've been listening to the song quite a lot recently (really I only listen for the last part to sate the F1 Drought) but Fleetwood Mac are one of those bands that I say I don't know any of their songs and it turns out I know loads of them!

Thunder - Love Walked in- greatest power ballad ever made.
Cypress Hill - Hits from the bong
Eminem - Lose Yourself
Ganja Kru - Super Sharp Shooter
Mumford & Sons - Wilder mind - entire album

That Cypress Hill song came on the other day whilst there was a bit of a drought. Was not ideal! :p
Good shout on Super Sharp Shooting shooting super sharp shots!

I'm too fickle to pick a favourite song. I guess if it's the song that consistently stays in my favourites it would be Michael Jackson - Rock with you but I have such a varied taste of music that I like that it depends on my mood.

Today my favourites Have been

Earth, Wind & Fire - Boogie wonderland

and this...

Back
Top Bottom