The best washing machine and dryer

Permabanned
I heard Zanussi are going downhill. They weren't making enough cash from repairs, so decided to use cheaper parts, and cash in on repairs.

Bosch I've heard are quite good. Although if I had the money, I'd sooner buy a Miele. I've seen Bosch washing machines, and they look very basic for the money you pay.

I can't really say anything bad about Hotpoint washing machines. Had a WMA48S for over 4 years, and still ticking over without so much as a splutter. :eek: /crosses fingers

Soldato
basmic said:
I've seen Bosch washing machines, and they look very basic for the money you pay.

What do you want them do do? I've got a Bosch that was recommended from the Which? guide and it is fairly basic in that it washes clothes and not a lot else.

You choose a setting, choose a spin speed and press go.

However, it's quick, quiet, extremely efficient and effective which is what you want.

If I could have affored it I would have gone for the Miele becuase it had a slightly better recommendation, but it was a lot more expensive. For white goods like fridges and freezers then I'll take just about any brand because they have aren't as stressed day to day, but for things with moving parts like dishwashers or washing mashines I'd always go for Boshe or Miele.

Man of Honour
Mr Mag00 said:
yeah thats right, £400 washing machines with a 5 year guarantee, thats low end market stuff :rolleyes:

Oooh a roll eyes.
If theres one thing I am an expert at and thats Domestic Appliances.
For the last 25 years I check these buggers out in laboratories putting them through extended life testing and way way way more than WHICH magazine will ever do.
I have to constantly attend meetings to do with this crap and I know who the best and the worst are.
If I tell you something then believe it.
The only two companies that worry the company I work for are Miele and Bosch and all my tests confirm that.
At the end of the day they are all basically the same except for the quality of parts that go into them (obvious).
Companies like Miele and Bosch have a customer base that want quality first and don't mind paying for it and tailor their products thus.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
dmpoole said:
Oooh a roll eyes.
If theres one thing I am an expert at and thats Domestic Appliances.
For the last 25 years I check these buggers out in laboratories putting them through extended life testing and way way way more than WHICH magazine will ever do.
I have to constantly attend meetings to do with this crap and I know who the best and the worst are.
If I tell you something then believe it.
The only two companies that worry the company I work for are Miele and Bosch and all my tests confirm that.
At the end of the day they are all basically the same except for the quality of parts that go into them (obvious).
Companies like Miele and Bosch have a customer base that want quality first and don't mind paying for it and tailor their products thus.

Have you got to mix Concrete up in one before :D
What is your Company anyway?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Spie in my opinion the lower model Dyson did the best and quickest job out of all of them and this was from the washroom tests we did when I was on the design team. It was simply a far superior machine technologically and did the Miele's top wash (which took 3 hours) in 40 minutes. The massive door on it makes it by far the easiest to use and the giant tub means you can really load it up. Basically you can do 2 or 3 loads instead of 5 and you can fit a double duvet in it too. The only thing is because I haven't seen inside the machine for some time I don't know if they addressed some of the longevity problems it had so unless you can talk to someone in the know I might be inclined to avoid it. Also bear in mind the machine is about 4" deeper than most other washers so the fascia will stick out if it's under a worktop.

If you have money to burn and want a conventional washer then the Miele washer is your best bet. It WILL last 25 years and still be going strong and the enamel on the case won't chip off. It is quiet and strong and doesn't vibrate and they have years and years of testimonials to back this up.

If you can't face paying £1K for a washer then the Bosch Maxx at £500 offers probably the best washer per £1. It'll never go wrong on you and it's got a big door which really helps use.

Above that if you have the space there are the freestanding Maytag top-loading machines which are the real top end of the market. If you do a lot of washing they can be more efficient but for smaller loads they are a bit expensive to run.

There was also a Swiss machine that we used to pore over which was *completely* silent but I've forgotten the brand. That was about £4K though :eek:

Caporegime
Spie said:
I'm in the market for a quality washing machine, in fact a dryer too. Got to be seperate. Quality and performance important. In fact I want the best :)

Bosch, AEG or Miele? Or something else?

Id go for the american ones ie Admiral, maytag brands if you can find them. Mind you need quite a bit of space as they tend to be very very large compared to the crap british/european ones.
I bought a dryer and washing machine 7 yrs ago for my mum, both american admiral range and they have served us extremely well with no breakdowns whatsoever.
Whereas the bosch washing machine and bosch dryer kept breaking down every few months, utter crap they were tbh. Wouldnt waste my money on any european/british washing machine/drier.

Soldato
Spawn said:
Wouldnt waste my money on any european/british washing machine/drier.

Most of the Americans I lived with in Germany were shocked at how dirty their clothes were before they came to live in Europe. The couldn't believe how poor their washers at home were compared to our units. I have no idea what manufacturers they used at home though.

Reliability is a different issue, although I've never know anyone else have reliability problems with Bosch or Miele.

Back
Top Bottom