The best washing machine and dryer

Caporegime
When I worked at a certain shop that has just replaced Dixons with their 'digital' branches, it was always a case of Dyson > Miele > *.

Candy - don't touch with a barge pole. Real cheap and nasty.

Zanussi - 'mid range' average applicances.

Bosch - reliable but not the best performers.

AEG - pap, but not quite on the scale of Candy papness.

Hotpoint - same as Zanussi.

This was 5 years ago, however :)

Soldato
While Dyson may be highly innovative, in terms of build quality and longevity, Miele are peerless.

You're FAR better off going for a low-end Miele than the top end of ANY other brand. They really are built to a completely different standard.

Did loads of research when we were looking for a new washing machine and every recommendation from engineers who work on washing machines was for Miele.

dmpoole - did AEG merge/get taken over by Electrolux. Think I heard someone mention that AEG build quality isn't what it used to be?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Von Luck said:
dmpoole - did AEG merge/get taken over by Electrolux. Think I heard someone mention that AEG build quality isn't what it used to be?

I don't know a lot about AEG (except for testing the competition) but I can tell you that Electrolux's after sales are excellent.

Soldato
Electrolux own both Zanussi and AEG.

Having worked for them for a couple of years would say that AEG is still the best of their stuff though.

A lot of the Zanussi stuff is now made in Poland and Romania. They still make pretty good kit mind you.

It was a couple of years back but AEG was still being made in Germany.

Worked for Bosch before that. Bought my mum a Bosch washing machine and Condenser dryer while I was there... 5 years ago. It has done 5 or 6 loads a week since then and not had a fault.

Option would be Either AEG L16830 / Bosch WFR3269GB dun know a lot about Miele...

7KG drums are very nice, Generally speaking once you are over 1600 spin you are in silly territory. And even if capable of it would normally recommend not using the highest settings as they are the ones that cause by far the most stress.

Associate

Carlsberg don't do washing machines but if they did......

Associate
CaSh_MoNeY said:
Zannussi washing machine and dish washer here, both have worked flawlessly for years.

Go for a Zannussi :)
the parents zanussi washing machine turned 20 a week after i did
still works amazingly
not fancy- but hey - my clothes are clean :p

Associate
Don't buy Bosch. They used to be a reliable, quality build.
Now they are just trading on their name, almost all their products are made in China.
Miele is probably the way to go.

Soldato
I work for Hoover/Candy and their high end washing machines are spot on.
I only seem to be getting reported problems with the lower end models.
Hoover/Candy offer a 1yr parts and labour guarantee then after your inital 1yr, the parts are covered for a further 4 years but labour is chargable.
I guess its the same for this in that 'you get what you pay for' but definately Miele i'd go for or Dyson or Electrolux.

Soldato
Perplexed said:
Don't buy Bosch. They used to be a reliable, quality build.
Now they are just trading on their name, almost all their products are made in China.
Miele is probably the way to go.

I have had mine for 3 years and now the drum isnt spinning. Typical eh! Not had a problem before that.

Any ideas on what things i can check before the service visit? If i can get it working before monday that should save me a few poundage! :(

Soldato
squiffy said:
Check the belt

lol, first thing i did. So far i have emptied it out and checked that the pump is moving freely. Thats okay. I have removed the back and set it to spin and checked out the motor, and it appears not to be going.

I am gonna have another look at it tonight to see if the brushes need changing but i doubt that because its only 3 years old and brushes last for ages!

Soldato
squiffy said:
Check the belt

Agreed. We thought the motor had died on our dryer, but it turns out the belt has snapped. If we'd known first, we wouldn't need a second visit next week because the first guy to come didn't have any belts with him :(.

Man of Honour
basmic said:
I heard Zanussi are going downhill. They weren't making enough cash from repairs, so decided to use cheaper parts, and cash in on repairs.
Sad but probably true. My 13-year-old Zanussi is still just about hanging in there. I had to have the power switch replaced a few years ago, and earlier this year I had an engineer out because I got a shock from the drum. It turned out the washing machine was fine - it was my house electrics that broke. :eek:

I wish I had room for both, but I don't, so I have to live with a Washer Dryer. Here's hoping that when mine does finally go pop, I can find something decent to replace it. The Which consensus is don't bother, but that's not really very helpful. :(

Soldato
Spie - most washers now days only designed to last 4-5 years max! So Id either get el cheepo one and replace it every 4-5 years or go with a Bosch and see how long it lasts for lol

My Bocsh is still going strong at 5 years old +

Man of Honour
Vegetarian said:
Spie - most washers now days only designed to last 4-5 years max! So Id either get el cheepo one and replace it every 4-5 years or go with a Bosch and see how long it lasts for lol

Probably a lot of truth in that because most things have a shelf life.
We have a warehouse full of parts no longer than ten years old and parts regulary get deleted and every manufacturer does the same.
I reckon Miele have parts for longer but I can't confirm it.

Man of Honour
We got an AEG and teased out neighbours as they had a Miele, but 10 years down the line we've been through two AEGs and their 16-year-old Miele is still going strong...

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Yup the Dyson had a 2 year OR 2000 cycle warranty. Basically the machine needed serious work after 2000 cycles so the first of the casualties were coming in after about 6 months. We did redesign it to cope but I don't think any of those changes actually made it to market as I believe the product was pulled.

I think Mieles on the other hand come with a 25 year warranty.

Back
Top Bottom