1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Big Fight Live: Calzaghe v Lacy

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by vanpeebles, 3 Mar 2006.

1. vanpeebles

Sgarrista

The Big Fight Live: Calzaghe v Lacy

live coverage from 11.10pm i think, saturday night on ITV. anyone else looking forward to it? im just reading the prefight reports and buzzing already :)

2. fozzybear

Sgarrista

Is this on ITV? I didn't think it was. :confused:

edit//

It is on ITV. What a pleasant surprise. The programme starts at 11.10pm and runs until 3.10am. I presumed it was a SKY fight as it won't be on until around 2.00am.

Last edited: 3 Mar 2006
  3. vanpeebles

Sgarrista

yeah! frank warren, bad thing is its live but because its for US too its on very early in the morning, coverage starts 11.10 then ends like 3 am or something :)

From itvs listings website

Big Fight Live
    Joe Calzaghe v Jeff Lacy

23:10 - 03:10

Saturday, 4 March
    Joe Calzaghe v Jeff Lacy. Coverage of the WBO and IBF Super Middleweight title bout at the MEN Arena in Manchester, where both fighters put their unbeaten records on the line. Welsh boxer Calzaghe has won all 40 of his contests and is defending his WBO belt for the 18th time after first winning it in 1997. Plus, Enzo Maccarinelli v Mark Hobson and Wayne Alexander v Thomas McDonagh

4. Gooner14

Mobster

It's also repeated on Sunday night at 11.25. I hope I won't be too drunk on Saturday night to be able to see whats happening!

5. G|mp

PermaBanned

Dont you watch every big, late fight like that?

I do, best way to watch them cuz you can tell all your mates how
    you would knock ten shades of **** out of whoevers fighting :D

6. Rotty

Don

Maybe it's the times this is on but it seems that they are really struggling to shift tickets for this one , I had am email from Warren saying that if you sign up for frankwarren.tv ( cost £10 ) you get a 75 quid ticket for free :eek:

7. Gooner14

Mobster

I normally fall asleep :( :eek:

8. G|mp

PermaBanned

Southeners :rolleyes:

9. Psycho Ned

Sgarrista

Could be a defining night in Calzaghes career this one he's been all talk about big fights for years and years never quite getting them well here it is the chance to unify 2 titles.

This must be the biggest televised terrestrial boxing fight in years (Lewis fought on the BBC once didnt he? that was probably the last big one) Though the 2am fight start isnt gonna get ITV many viewers!

10. Gooner14

Mobster

:mad: Pah, northern Monkey :p :D

11. Smit

Soldato

Can't wait for this one... got my money on a Lacy KO :D

12. johnnyb

PermaBanned

ill be there @ manchester for this.

Pay per view and sky have killed boxing interest in britain.

13. Big Kev

Capodecina

I've been a fan of Joe's for years now and really wished this career defining fight had happened 3 or 4 years ago, because he hasn't been in the ring much over the last couple of years and his inactivity may prove his undoing.

He'll be up for this alright, but I feel that Lacy wants this as much as Joe does and it could go either way, my heart obviously says Joe, but my head leans the other way.

14. vanpeebles

Sgarrista

just as well its on itv. i think they are doing a good job with frank warren to try and bring boxing back to the public :)

15. Smit

Soldato

Sky didn't kill the boxing interest it was the constant mismatches that Warren and Co put on every week.

Ever since Warren went to ITV there has been more good fights shown on Sky than the few years previous (with a few exceptions of course)

16. vanpeebles

Sgarrista

restricted access has helped to kill boxing purely because they just arnt household names anymore

17. Smit

Soldato

Audley Harrison was a household name and there was no restricted access... look what happened there.

Also the likes of Froch and Witter were shown on BBC if I recall ... not often enough though

18. vanpeebles

Sgarrista

harrison was a big head before he didnt anything :p

19. Psycho Ned

Sgarrista

Yeah but how many of those fights were any good? By good I mean world title matches (proper world titles WBA, IBF, WBA etc not alphabet soup titles) The public turned on Audley because of who he was fighting.

Guys like Benn & Eubank were household names because they actually had big fights (with eachother & with other guys) on terrestrial. Hatton would be a big household name if he wasnt fighting on sky.

20. Smit

Soldato

Hatton wouldn't have got away with holding the pointless WBU title for years and fighting poor opposition