The Boys (Amazon Prime)

Soldato
Well that got a bit ****** up at the end :eek:

I genuinely thought we were going to see him "doing himself". I'm sort of glad it went the other way!

Another slow(ish) episode.

Soldato
Loving the second season I'm not a fan of super hero in general but this is such a good take on it and add to that the gore and violence plus homelanders character and it makes for great entertainment

Associate
Whilst it's not a patch on the comics (I really miss seeing The Boys keeping the supes in check, and the often humorous ways in which they do it) I'm still enjoying it - the drip feed is slightly annoying however with a multitude of other things to catch up with I'm not too bothered.

Soldato
Whilst it's not a patch on the comics (I really miss seeing The Boys keeping the supes in check, and the often humorous ways in which they do it) I'm still enjoying it - the drip feed is slightly annoying however with a multitude of other things to catch up with I'm not too bothered.

I agree the production of the TV show is great,, they be improved many of the characters and the actors are doing a great job but having read the comics it feels like they’ve made a few missteps with characters motivations and plot devices available to them. What they’ve added has been good, they’ve cut lots of stuff that wouldn’t translate well but a few really key plot items have been lost too.

Associate
Just finished the entire 12 volume comics of the original The Boys saga and it's quite the ride, read the two Dear Becky followups but not as much as a fan of those so far, might not bother getting the other 4 issues of it that didn't come with the bundle.

The TV show is so different that neither is going spoil the other, so I recommend getting the comics Humble Bundle while it's around. The comic is very dark in places, too dark for the TV series, I think I've got a good idea of what parts they will use and what parts they won't. Though the TV show has been still highly creative in its own right.

It reminded me a lot of the Martial Law comics by Pat Mills and Kevin O'Neill, pretty much the original 'superheroes are bad' concept, extremely ripe for TV adaption itself. Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure Garth Ennis took Martial Law as his primary inspiration. Especially Homelander being influenced by Public Spirit in Martial Law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshal_Law_(comics)

Soldato
OP
Producers on this went vocal on why it's weekly and I absolutely agree with them. I detest binge watch mentality, it's akin to junk food and not really taking in anything you watch.

Shame there are so many idiots who review bombed it for a weekly release instead of all in one go.

Our feeling is that when it airs all eight at once, it becomes a sugar rush of a binge. People burn through it in a week or two. There’s an intense amount of activity and then it sort of fades. There’s so many great moments in season 2, we want to give it time to marinate so people can reflect on it and talk about it before they move on to the next thing and be in the conversation a little longer. I think a little anticipation for the fans is healthy.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/kripke-explains-the-boys-s2-release-change/

SPG

SPG

Soldato
What a load of rubbish.

No one forces you to watch it all in one go... Its the generation of me me me that is the problem. Its no different to waiting 8-10 weeks then watching them all in one go or is that not allowed either, or watching season x,y,z back to back after 4 or 5 years.

Soldato
OP
I thought people were joking when I heard about there being controversy over the decision to release it every week.

Nope, idiots genuinely review bombed based on that decision.

No one forces you to watch it all in one go.

Agreed but we have a younger generation with increasing limited attention span and dropping shows in one go doesn't help that mentality. If it's there, folks will binge it. It's similar to the whole social media/likes dopamine response and wanting instant gratification without spending any time investing in anything.

I generally find if I really like a show and i'm invested in it, I absent mindedly limit my watching of it, maybe 2 episodes maximum per day. The lower in quality a show is, the faster I tend to binge watch it. I'm probably just weird though :p Same as good food, don't just wolf it down, take time, savour it, enjoy the experience.

Soldato
Tis the woke generation - the world should bend to my every demand and every problem is someone else’s fault. Me me me.

Although it’s ultimately down to the creators of shows and their decisions, I think from a viewer standpoint it depends on the structure of a series as to how it’s released. Stuff that’s written to be episodic, have cliff-hangers and be chopped up neatly as has been the case historically is probably more enjoyable with gaps (they don’t necessarily need to be 7 days) because of hype, drama, theorising etc. The flip side is where you have something that’s essentially an 8 hour movie and dispenses with the classic series structure a bit, where you’re left talking about the thing as a whole, so lends itself to being gobbled up rapidly and then digested slowly after.

The Boys is obviously more the former and they’ve clearly got the early episodes out in one go because they’re the slower set-the-tone/story-for-this-season ones, then moving onto weekly now things are going to get more (hopefully) interesting, which is an okay way to do it as far as I’m concerned.

Man of Honour
I generally agree that this series doesn’t feel as compelling but it’s nevertheless a great show for its satire and comedy.

I think The Deep is one of the most amusing characters I have ever seen. Just the idea of a sex pest alcoholic celebrity, struggling to find himself (something we can all identify with, celebrity or not) who also has a crappy super power of being able to speak to fish.... that is really ****ing funny. It’s just so ridiculous yet played so dry at the same time. That ultra-straight / insanely silly sort of humour really hits my sweet spot.

Oh god, that bit where he was reminiscing the trauma of the goldfish begging for their lives.... It’s kept me chuckling for days :D

Soldato
So far I think this season has been really weak in every aspect except one - the satire of current culture personified by Stormfront - outside of that it's way worse than season 1 for me, so much so that, had I seen season 2 first I'd have never made it past episode 1!

Man of Honour
So far I think this season has been really weak in every aspect except one - the satire of current culture personified by Stormfront - outside of that it's way worse than season 1 for me, so much so that, had I seen season 2 first I'd have never made it past episode 1!
I do think the satire of the movie industry and woke culture within it, as per episode 5, was also excellent :D

As an aside, coincidence that Stormfront shares the name with an unsavoury white supremacy forum?

Another random thought.... Homelander is absolutely terrifying!! Great acting and script. Really just... spot on. His daydream in episode 5.... jeez! :eek:

All over the place with this post.. apologies!

Soldato
I thought people were joking when I heard about there being controversy over the decision to release it every week.
The funny thing is the lead producer has now started publicly attacking the shows fans for "not understanding" his "creative choice". Great idea mate, because attacking your fans (AKA customers) for calling you out when you make a mistake always works well lol.

What's next? Netflix announce that season 3 of Cobra Kai will not be streamable and fans will have to request mail order rental DVDs (for the kids reading this is how Netflix worked before they added streaming). Obsolete distribution methods need to stay in the past.

Back
Top Bottom