Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Yesterday I found this forum/thread. I did start reading it but at 858 pages and 17000+ posts it must be some sort of world record!
I made a valiant effort but after a few hundred posts my head hurt, however I did pick up a lot of useful information, but, regarding products these have changed considerably over the lifetime of this thread so I am here seeking tips/advice/recommendations. I realise that with many products it is each to their own neverless always good to see the various recommendations.
I have recently purchased a 2019 Honda Civic VTEC SR in White Orchid Pearl. I already have a lot of product but I would welcome recommendations for Shampoo and Snow Foam.
I have Bilberry wheel cleaner and Rimwax for the wheels and Fast Glass and RainX for the glass.
What I specifically need is advice on how to show the paintwork at it's best. I would like to know what procedure I should use after claying/rinsing, specifically what glaze and sealant to use. From what I have read, a wax is not recommended for a pearl finish. The car is kept outside on the driveway and spends more time parked than being driven. I did 13100 miles over a period of 6 years in my last car and neighbours always commented that I spent more time polishing it than driving it!
All advice welcome.
Many thanks.

Associate
Welcome!
Unsure of wax on a pearl finish not being suitable, sure someone else will chime in. But really any wax suited to light finishes will be okay, everyone has their preference. Fusso light might work well, or the old collinite 845.

claying should not be done regularly, only if your paint is particularly contaminated and really only before you break out the polisher since it can introduce marring. There should be no need to polish on the reg unless you are regularly introducing swirls, at which point you should reevaluate your washing procedure.

After rinsing you should be drying, and if you want to adding a sealant such as gyeon wet coat which will add to the protection of the wax.

Soldato
I would ditch the rain X, and go for something better. I have had success with the Gtechniq G1 glass range. A bit more involved to apply, but lasts up to a couple years, so definitely worth it.

Underboss
Just disconnect battery, and if you're mega paranoid cover the alternator. The key is to keep the pressure washer moving and use it only for rinsing away the dirt. If you're trying to use it to blast away grime then you're using the wrong degreaser. Your cleaning agents should be breaking the dirt down, the water is just there to carry it away.

If my 27 year old engine bay with distributor, king coil, and dozens of other sensors just chilling unprotected in the open air can manage multiple pressure washings then anything can. There's so much scaremongering around cleaning engine bays, its ridiculous.

thanks Cookeh

saw a video on YT, and thats basically what he said "key is , water is only used as a rinse aid, dont use a high pressure water like a Karcher" he used a portable pressure washer (worx Hydroshot, as its only max 22 bar) to "rinse" the degreaser off

another video i watched, seemed ok too, but he took couple of hours LONGER to clean, and he insisted that no water should be used , but he used a water hose to do the outer part of the engine bay, cover up the engine itself, and took out the battery and the air inlet out, and covered up the Alternator

Soldato
Depends on how minging your bay is. If its not too oily then APCs worth perfectly. If its got lots of oily residues and build ups then use a degreaser. HGs Barbeque and Grill cleaner is the best Ive ever used, or No Nonsense Degreaser (a close second).

Caporegime
ah so its an APC ?
I have some Demon Clean APC in a spay bottle, do you guys think i can use that under the bonnet ?

Gave my 16 year old Saab a hose down today as it was filthy from airport runs over the past month and I just replaced all the PCV system so had my greasy prints all over the engine bay. Just G101 with a brush. Hosed down and Carpro pearl sprayed and wiped down. Need to do something with the cam cover though.

IgNBZiG.jpg

Associate
Any tips for drying out car?

Unfortunately found my car with windows wide open yesterday morning in the midst of heavy rain.

Can only presume I was lying on my keys and the unlock button was held down thus opening windows.

Didn’t realise extent of how wet until today when I checked my car.

Was busy yesterday and literally put windows up and threw towels on the seat and carried on with my day and completely forget by evening.

Went in today everything was soaked as far as the doors and seats and part of dash, wiped everything down to remove excess water - really should have done this yesterday but thankfully electrics seem to be still working although window button seems a bit temperamental but will see how it is when it fully drys.

Main concern is seats, concerned about Mold growing in them.

Unfortunately I don’t have a garage where I can leave my windows open and put some fans on, as some things online have suggested.

So wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

Soldato
Same happened to my dad @Mr_Cool

we ended up putting a dehumidifier in the passengers seat, left the window open a small amount to put the extension cable through.

We left it in for the day and it dried the car out very well. But it was on a warm day so we could sort it with the car on the driveway.

Caporegime
Drive it with the heaters on full and open the window every now and then.

Bag of rice will also help absorb some moisture from the air whilst its not being using

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom