Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Follow up question gents, where should I be buying this kit from? Is there a better value/service website?

I've got enough to have a go on the weekend but will stock up properly.
  • Polished Bliss
  • Cleanyourcar
  • Autobrite Direct
  • Amazon
Those are my go-to but I'll be honest, it's been a while since I bought any cleaning gear. There might be better sites out there since I last stocked up.

Soldato
Don't paint the bit your wheels make contact with either.
In future get discs with a coating on, it wears off on the braking surface and protects everything else.

Man of Honour
Thought I better do a post winter clean. Can’t beat a pressure washer for getting all the gunk out of nooks.

Hadn’t used polar blast, wash and seal for a while. Broke one of my guns, so down to two, but that still works, will just make up the wash while the blast does its job.

Noticed autoglym do a ceramic coat spray now, so figured I’d give it a go. Super resin polished the car (couldn’t be bothered to clay, although a couple of the lower areas need it, but only if you look close - also, I can’t find my clay, absolute fail) then used the spray. Leaves a lovely glossy finish and effortless to use. Easy to use as spray on wax, but leaves a finish that looks as good and should last longer too.

Need to stay on top of car cleaning this year. I start with good intentions, but 5-6 day weeks finish me off.

Edit: found the clay, those lower panels are getting it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thought I better do a post winter clean. Can’t beat a pressure washer for getting all the gunk out of nooks.

Hadn’t used polar blast, wash and seal for a while. Broke one of my guns, so down to two, but that still works, will just make up the wash while the blast does its job.

Noticed autoglym do a ceramic coat spray now, so figured I’d give it a go. Super resin polished the car (couldn’t be bothered to clay, although a couple of the lower areas need it, but only if you look close - also, I can’t find my clay, absolute fail) then used the spray. Leaves a lovely glossy finish and effortless to use. Easy to use as spray on wax, but leaves a finish that looks as good and should last longer too.

Need to stay on top of car cleaning this year. I start with good intentions, but 5-6 day weeks finish me off.

Edit: found the clay, those lower panels are getting it tomorrow.
Your routine sounds about where I want to land. I've just chucked a load of AutoGlym stuff I bought about 10 years ago (mostly dirty clay, old HD Wax). What's a good starter now I've got my snow foam nailed? Some clay, wax, sealer, ceramic? Things seem significantly more complex than they used to :p

Man of Honour
Your routine sounds about where I want to land. I've just chucked a load of AutoGlym stuff I bought about 10 years ago (mostly dirty clay, old HD Wax). What's a good starter now I've got my snow foam nailed? Some clay, wax, sealer, ceramic? Things seem significantly more complex than they used to :p

There are lots of options. These days I go for most effective vs time to apply.

I still find polar wash followed by polar seal to be incredibly effective. That said, my car has been neglected for ages. Being white I can see where most of the contamination is located. Super resin polish is still excellent after claying. I used to use spray on ‘wet’ waxes, but the ceramic style seals on the budget end seem to be very effective (and can be used before or after drying), so either polar seal if I’m just doing a quick wash and seal or AGs ceramic spray if I’m sealing panels that I’ve just clayed/polished on an individual pane-by-panel basis. I wouldn’t seal after every wash, so I have some aqua wax for topping up during interim washes (previously used Sonax, but fancied a change).

You could spend a lot longer on the paintwork, but you won’t achieve a huge amount more than the above without a considerable time/effort investment. My car will be covered in pollen by tomorrow anyway :p

Last edited:
Underboss
when you apply your sealant / wax (not spray) what cloth do you use ?
anything specific ?
i use Autoglym wax sealant which is leave on for like an hour then buff off, so any recommendations for applying and which one to buff off ?
i normally use cheap microfibre ones, but they are a but naff for this

Soldato
anything specific ?
i use Autoglym wax sealant which is leave on for like an hour then buff off, so any recommendations for applying and which one to buff off ?
I'm properly in the "all the gear no idea camp" and have just ordered a load of south Korean microfibres if that helps :cry::p I remember having a go a decade or so ago and I was given some clothes that looked like mesh netting...

There are lots of options. These days I go for most effective vs time to apply.

I still find polar wash followed by polar seal to be incredibly effective. That said, my car has been neglected for ages. Being white I can see where most of the contamination is located. Super resin polish is still excellent after claying. I used to use spray on ‘wet’ waxes, but the ceramic style seals on the budget end seem to be very effective (and can be used before or after drying), so either polar seal if I’m just doing a quick wash and seal or AGs ceramic spray if I’m sealing panels that I’ve just clayed/polished on an individual pane-by-panel basis. I wouldn’t seal after every wash, so I have some aqua wax for topping up during interim washes (previously used Sonax, but fancied a change).

You could spend a lot longer on the paintwork, but you won’t achieve a huge amount more than the above without a considerable time/effort investment. My car will be covered in pollen by tomorrow anyway :p
So to get me going - I'll do a Bilt Hamber snow foam, contact wash with some pH neutral stuff I got free from Mercedes, and then a wash with Polar Seal? I haven't got any SRP but do have some Ultra Deep Shine which I think is similar?

Man of Honour
anything specific ?

Although I have a load of applicant pads, I apply with a good old fashioned duster usually and spread over the surface. I’ll buff off with a micro fibre.

The length of time depends on the wax. HD wax I used to leave for 30-60 minutes. The ceramic spray I just leave for a few minutes. Which wax exactly are you using?

I'm properly in the "all the gear no idea camp" and have just ordered a load of south Korean microfibres if that helps :cry::p I remember having a go a decade or so ago and I was given some clothes that looked like mesh netting...

So to get me going - I'll do a Bilt Hamber snow foam, contact wash with some pH neutral stuff I got free from Mercedes, and then a wash with Polar Seal? I haven't got any SRP but do have some Ultra Deep Shine which I think is similar?

The BH snow foam is highly rated.

Polar seal is literally a case of spraying over the car while it’s wet, pressure washing off and then drying the car. It’s amazing stuff, you see crazy beading almost as soon as it makes contact and bonds with the paint.

Ultra deep shine is meant for black cars (I think). I’ve never owned a black car, so haven’t used it. Meant to work in a similar fashion I believe.

You can’t beat a cheap microfibre, just make sure it’s reasonable soft and has no rough seems or labels.

Man of Honour
:eek: A Duster ?
ive been using Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection for years
but i want a better cloth

Something like these.

Jantex E943 Dusters, Yellow (Pack of 10) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BM8F4VO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CA2TDXBG4CGAG8BXSGKK

They are perfect for applying substances to the paint. Really soft and not as absorbent as a micro fibre. Obviously not suitable if you have any surface contamination that could get dragged around the paint.

Perfect for EGP application for example.

Then a micro fibre to buff and pick up any dried residue.

I used to use EGP - it’s great stuff and easy to apply, but without a garage it’s tricky leaving it enough time to bond to the paint while being outside. I’ve also never been convinced that it lasts much longer than many of the easier to apply sealants now available or leaves a better finish.

Last edited:
Soldato
Perhaps I should have dabbed the brakes a couple of times before hand but recently washed my car at BP Jet Wash (Temporary measure until I install a outside tap) and applied Gyeon Wet Coat to my wheels but I drove out of the bay, round the corner and down a hill (All without needing to brake) to then almost fail to stop for the junction down to what I can only assume was Wet Coat covered brakes.

Word of warning to anyone as silly as me.

Underboss
Something like these.

Jantex E943 Dusters, Yellow (Pack of 10) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BM8F4VO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CA2TDXBG4CGAG8BXSGKK

They are perfect for applying substances to the paint. Really soft and not as absorbent as a micro fibre. Obviously not suitable if you have any surface contamination that could get dragged around the paint.

I used to use EGP - it’s great stuff and easy to apply, but without a garage it’s tricky leaving it enough time to bond to the paint while being outside. I’ve also never been convinced that it lasts much longer than many of the easier to apply sealants now available or leaves a better finish.

personally i would touch my car with a duster , old or new

Soldato
<snip>

The BH snow foam is highly rated.

Polar seal is literally a case of spraying over the car while it’s wet, pressure washing off and then drying the car. It’s amazing stuff, you see crazy beading almost as soon as it makes contact and bonds with the paint.

Ultra deep shine is meant for black cars (I think). I’ve never owned a black car, so haven’t used it. Meant to work in a similar fashion I believe.

You can’t beat a cheap microfibre, just make sure it’s reasonable soft and has no rough seems or labels.
Thanks fella. Will let you know how I get on.

Plan is to do a BH snow foam, quick contact wash, then a once over with Ultra Deep Shine (car is black). I assume I don't need anything over the top of the UDS?

Future washes I'll just do BH, quick contact wash, and then grab some of that polar seal. Is this daft?

Man of Honour
Thanks fella. Will let you know how I get on.

Plan is to do a BH snow foam, quick contact wash, then a once over with Ultra Deep Shine (car is black). I assume I don't need anything over the top of the UDS?

Future washes I'll just do BH, quick contact wash, and then grab some of that polar seal. Is this daft?

UDS is apparently an ‘all-in-one’, so no need to follow with anything else.

No, not daft for future washes. That’s what I would do.

personally i would touch my car with a duster , old or new

Why not? They are really soft clothes. No different to a polish applicator pad and the advantage being you can change the surface regularly by folding it over.

Associate
Something like these.

Not a chance in high hell I would touch my car with that. I wouldn't even use those for wheels or plastics.

If you're looking for cheap but safe cloths, then pick up a pack of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kirkland-Signature-713160-Microfiber-Towels/dp/B00GARQKII

You can get them a little cheaper from COSTCO. Make sure to tear off the label but these are the bare minimum I would let touch my paint. I always have a pack handy and keep a couple in the boot but rarely use them on paint, aside from door shuts or if I am doing a quick spot removal of bird crap, for example. They are only good for a couple of washes before they get clogged. That said, at 60p per towel, they can just be thrown away after each use.

For buffing off, I am currently using these - https://www.in2detailing.co.uk/products/klin-korea-zero-finish-hd-5pk - which are a bit more expensive but I don't compromise too much when it comes to my paint and these will be good for a good few months, as long as looked after properly.

Anything that is not too long a knap (too long will be quite 'grabby' for buffing) and is around 350-450 GSM is in the sweet spot and will do the job safely and effectively.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got in there just in time yesterday on Cleanyourcar (thanks @Irish_Tom ; from I can understand number 1 on your list was acquired by these guys. I also found my old DW account [last login 27/06/2010, lol] and got a 5% code).

Ended up with:
Bilt Hamber - 16.95
PA Lance - 34.95; this is a fraction heavier than the Amazon one I got but broadly looks the same. It is the one used in the video @VaderDSL linked though, so reassuringly a bit heavier :)). I'll send the Amazon one back.
Korean Drying Towels x2, Small and Large - 12.95 + 6.95

And from Amazon:
Muc-Off Wheel Face Brush - £6.99
Megs Lambswool Mit - £12
Grit Catcher - £5.90
Microfibre Mit - £3.29
Megs Wheel Brush - £13.60
Cheap Draper Arch Brush £5.39

I've already got:
A load of Mercedes valet kit freebies (pH Shampoo will be the bit I use mainly)
Ultra Deep Shine to polish and seal
Microfibre pads to apply

All in all I've spent £115.94 excluding the jet wash which I got for £70.18 from Tool Station. Fingers crossed the weather is reasonable tomorrow :p

Thanks all

Last edited:
Soldato
Enjoy @dLockers — looking forward to seeing the results. :D

You’ve inspired me to dust off the pressure washer and give my two a quick snow foam at the weekend. I won’t have time for a proper clean (I once spent an entire Bank Holiday weekend cleaning my old 5 series :o) but at least it will remove the worst of the dust. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom