The Climbing Thread

Soldato
OP
You realise how much general fatigue and niggles you climb with when you have a break! Well, unless you are a yoot and can recover in 6 hours.

Do you find antihydral that quick acting? I thought that it was something that you apply over weeks to reduce the sweating in your fingers slowly?

Antihydral does work straight away to an extent. I'll normally apply it on my finger tips and leave it on overnight. That'll be immediately a bit stronger, drier skin the next day....but it's peak effectiveness is in 3-6 days....depends how much skin you get through though.

You need to climb if you use it, or sandpaper your hands otherwise it'll callus up.

I have particularly sweaty hands (like leaving big wet handprints on volumes)....and it's a godsend. I can climb a good grade or two higher on slopers when I've used it.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Antihydral does work straight away to an extent. I'll normally apply it on my finger tips and leave it on overnight. That'll be immediately a bit stronger, drier skin the next day....but it's peak effectiveness is in 3-6 days....depends how much skin you get through though.

You need to climb if you use it, or sandpaper your hands otherwise it'll callus up.

I have particularly sweaty hands (like leaving big wet handprints on volumes)....and it's a godsend. I can climb a good grade or two higher on slopers when I've used it.

I have used it in the past a bit but I am using the rhino skin solutions stuff which is much milder at the moment. Honestly I have lost a bit of motivation for climbing lately with the hot weather and the walls being closed until recently. Not all my mates are back at it yet, my local wall is generally poorly set and I have been really enjoying mountain biking. Hopefully the psych will return once it cools down a bit and we can plan some trips to Font again.

Soldato
OP
I have used it in the past a bit but I am using the rhino skin solutions stuff which is much milder at the moment. Honestly I have lost a bit of motivation for climbing lately with the hot weather and the walls being closed until recently. Not all my mates are back at it yet, my local wall is generally poorly set and I have been really enjoying mountain biking. Hopefully the psych will return once it cools down a bit and we can plan some trips to Font again.

I was intending to go to Font in October but it's impossible to plan anything at the moment with the flux in travel restrictions. I'm just happy to be back on the walls.

I only just got settled back into the country before lockdown, joined a mountaineering club in January to try and find some climbing buddies....ha.

Resigned myself to solo bouldering for the forseeable. Maybe I will get to Font, at least you can just drive there easy enough and not have to deal with airports etc.

Associate
Bouldering gym opened last Tuesday and I'm still feeling the pain.

The evening time slot was nice and quiet though number wise. I think everyone was groaning in pain with the, mind is willing but the flesh is weak. :)

Trying to slowly ramp back up without killing my fingers.

Soldato
fascinating autobiographical film -
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000hp3m/final-ascent-the-legend-of-hamish-macinnes
wealth of experiences , skills, acquantainces, incredible.
Black, Willans,Bonington, Eastwood, Haston, ....
- best thing, that's been on, for ages.

That was a really good film! Crazy when you think he's done so much and invented so many devices and systems and most people would have never heard of him. I loved the ending, Belford Hospital, VS (4a). :D

Soldato
OP
Back to the Climbing Unit in Derby this afternoon, can't wait, hopefully my form has held up reasonably well as it did last time. Will be easing in for a session, then going for it to get back to where I was ASAP.

Soldato
Back to the Climbing Unit in Derby this afternoon, can't wait, hopefully my form has held up reasonably well as it did last time. Will be easing in for a session, then going for it to get back to where I was ASAP.

I'm booked in for my first session tomorrow! :D

I was back out on the grit on Saturday. After not climbing for three months everything felt nails and I only just about managed to haul myself up a couple f6Bs! I'm definitely not used it anymore and my fingers are so soft again.. I felt like an old man yesterday!

Soldato
OP
I'm booked in for my first session tomorrow! :D

I was back out on the grit on Saturday. After not climbing for three months everything felt nails and I only just about managed to haul myself up a couple f6Bs! I'm definitely not used it anymore and my fingers are so soft again.. I felt like an old man yesterday!

It's been a really frustrating year for me, I moved back to the UK end of 2019, joined a mountaineering club with plans to get back into ropes and onto trad....but I've basically been stuck bouldering on my own for a year, when the gyms are open. No organised group stuff indoors still.

Hopefully this summer I'll be able to crack on, finally.

fez

fez

Caporegime
First session back tonight and I'm sure I will be awful. If I can scrape up a soft 7A I will be very happy. Gained a few lbs over lockdown and gave up on any sort of fingerboarding etc about a month or so ago. Been mountain biking a lot instead and have been really enjoying that so i don't know what capacity I will get back into climbing at the moment.

Soldato
OP
Session on Monday was surprisingly good for me. Flashed a few V5/6C ish...but my fingers were feeling a bit tweaky so didn't push onto my max which is V6/7A ish on a good day.

Should be going again tonight, but I am stiff as hell from going rugby training last night too! See how I loosen up over the day.

Soldato
Went bouldering today - first time climbing in a little over 4 months. Strength doesn't seem to be effected much by the long downtime, finger strength for crimps as well as general arm/shoulder/core strength still feels good. Endurance is much lower as well as skin toughness - didn't take long on the rough sandstone to rip my fingertips up.
Still a great day to be out climbing. Our gyms don't open until next week but I can't wait to get back to the climbing wall now.
o08s9YR.jpg
8ZbooRV.jpg
KZWH7TJ.jpg

Soldato
I've rejoined Citybloc in Leeds after not climbing there since 2013. The past couple of years i've been to different indoor bouldering places but only once every few months. Now i'm back at it 3 times a week i'm improving again and am at around 6B+ / 6C grade, think thats around V5

Citybloc has been renovated over lockdown so has a new comp room, new chillout area, gym, showers, lockers, bike rack and reception with coffee beers and snacks. Certainly worth the £40/month membership - https://citybloc.co.uk/facilities/

If anyones in or around Leeds, let me know. Usually there tue, thur and sun at 12:30. Some great problems, especially on the comp circuit. All problems are on the Griptonite app too so you can see your progress, grade and other info

Soldato
OP
Still waiting for my MCL tear to heal....two months off already. It is starting to get there at least. Sucks ass to have lockdown then this injury, I feel really out of shape :(

Think maybe next week I can get to the gym and just campus the roof sections or one-leg easier routes.

Soldato
Still waiting for my MCL tear to heal....two months off already. It is starting to get there at least. Sucks ass to have lockdown then this injury, I feel really out of shape :(

Think maybe next week I can get to the gym and just campus the roof sections or one-leg easier routes.
MCL is a ligament in the knee isnt it that connect the shin and thigh bone... sounds painful.
I was so out of shape after lockdown but back into it now and starting to feel and look better. My back changed shape over lockdown and looked all sloughy, now it's more upright. Climbing, swimming and a couple of cardio sessions a week plus better diet and not as much drinking.
Lockdown I would be in the house most of the day sat down then went for a walk to the shops. Takeaways / semi healthy food but also too many beers / gins out of boredom

Back
Top Bottom