1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The council gets it right (IMO)!

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Samtheman1k, 14 Jul 2006.

1. Samtheman1k

Wise Guy

A teaching union says:
    Whereas, the council says:
    Now, I don't want to get into the ins and outs of the BNP or their [racist] policies, but, as the council says, the BNP is a legitimate political party and thus you should not be banned from working purely because you are a member of a legitimate party, this is a democracy after all. If that was the case, then ALL political party memberships should be banned.

Linky

2. loopstah

Mobster

Sounds right to me.

As long as they keep their political views out of the classroom then there shouldn't be a problem. But that applies to whatever party a teacher might support or be a member of, so singling out the BNP seems a bit unfair.

3. afraser2k

Sgarrista

The only problem that'll come out of this is when the parents start to take children out of school because of this teacher, though I agree that even if it is the BNP he shouldn't be sacked because of it.

Unfortunately education doesn't exactly have a good track record when it comes to parent power where teachers are involved. The parents will easily find an excuse that this teacher was the cause of their childs poor performance in the class rather than the child not working.

4. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

It's all good in the hood.

5. anarchist

PermaBanned

How is that defined? Any party that has paid the fee (whatever that is) and signed the register? If so, are there limits to who can sign the register?

6. starscream

PermaBanned

The problem isn't so much whether he is a member of the BNP or not. If during his lessons, he is bringing in racist or homophobic ideas as acceptable, or in any other way using his position to bring across his personal political agenda to children, clearly there is a problem. This could happen with someone who isn't a member of the BNP though, so I think it is fairer to judge him on his ability as a teacher.

7. Samtheman1k

Wise Guy

I quite agree. But that should be true of anyone who tries to teach certain political views. That is not what the union is saying, they are saying he should be banned purely because he is BNP.

8. starscream

PermaBanned

Yeah, I disagree with the union in this case. I think people are entitled to belong to political groups or organisations as long as it doesn't interfear with their work :)

9. robmiller

Capodecina

If there is, there damn well shouldn't be.

10. anarchist

PermaBanned

I agree, but really I was testing the logic "if you are in a legitimate political party then you should be allowed to be a teacher", because that means I could start a Ku Klux Klan party, be classed as legimate because I had paid my fee and signed the register, and therefore be allowed to teach - and I wouldn't like the idea of my kids being taught by members of the KKK. Ok they should follow the national curriculum, and have safeguards in place, but would you really trust them to?

11. Samtheman1k

Wise Guy

Well, I see your point, but i don't see the difference between this and a teacher (belonging to Labour, for example) saying that it is ok to invade Iraq.

12. starscream

PermaBanned

Who should be the judge of which parties it is OK to be a member of, and which are not though?

13. Tommy B

Sgarrista

How does the fact the teacher supports the BNP affect his ability to teach? More PC nonsense.

14. The Running Man

Caporegime

new rule - no one of any religion should be able to become a teacher

what if they bust out their religious chimes in class and indoctronate the youths?!

what if they have religious prejudice!?

where will it end?

15. fini

Sgarrista

Aren't the KKK an illegal organisation though - I know they are in America - so it wouldn't be a legitimate party at all.

Whilst I do find it troubling that someone with those beliefs is molding the minds of little kids one has to wonder how many teachers there are out there with worse views who didn't happen to make them public.

Until he does or says anything racist/homophobic nothing should be done. The school headmaster would be wise to keep an eye on him though. It does leave the door open for pupils with a grudge to make false claims though...

fini

16. starscream

PermaBanned

Someone with potentially racist and homophobic views in a position of authority with children could be very influential. Now I said above that I don't think teacher should be thrown out purely because of alligiences to a political party, but there would need to be assurences that the teachers position wasn't used to impose a political agenda on the kids.

17. Borris

Caporegime

The party itself is ultimately irrelevant - It's not for the council to judge people for their political affiliations, and their only consideration is if the teacher, as an elected representative, could adequately execute their responsibilities.

Part of that responsibility is in teaching children racial equality. If he can't do that, and there is no suggestion that he can't, he should face censure.

For the OP: Have some sauce.

18. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

Personally I think this statement is a fine example of how our political and social understanding has improved recently - many people still have a poor grasp of Nationalism and racial issues but the above is a very even handed and fair appraisal of the situation from someone, despite the fact that the forumite is distasteful of the BNP (IIRC).

19. Samtheman1k

Wise Guy

Yes, but you can be equally as racist, without being involved, or voting for, the BNP. Why should membership affect his job?

20. starscream

PermaBanned

But that is exactly the point I made. I don't believe you should be automatically sacked from a position becuase of your membership of a political party. It is the conduct within the classroom that a teacher should be judged on.