The death of the Universe and Life

Soldato
I just watched Brian Cox's Wonders of the Universe and had my mind blown by the profound stuff he had to say. And my jaw dropped at the unbelievable numbers he reeled off. I've written verbatim the most interesting bits, which are a good read.

"The matter in black dwarves, the last matter in the universe, will eventually evaporate away and be carried off into the void as radiation, leaving absolutely nothing behind. With the black dwarves gone, there won't be a single atom of matter left. All that will remain of our once rich cosmos will be particles of light and black holes.

After an unimaginable length of time, even the black holes will have evaporated and the universe will be nothing but a sea of photons, gradually tending towards the same temperature as the expansion of the universe cools them towards absolute zero.

And when I say 'unimaginable period of time' I really mean it. It's 10,000 trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion years. How big's that number? Well if I were to start counting with a single atom representing one year, then there wouldn't be enough atoms in the entire universe to get anywhere near that number.

Once the very last remnants of the very last stars have finally decayed away to nothing, and everything reaches the same temperature, the universe finally comes to an end. The universe will become permanent and unchanging. Nothing happens and it keeps not happening. Forever.

It's what's known as the heat death of the universe. An era when the cosmos will remain vast and cold and desolate for the rest of time. The arrow of time ceases to exist. It's an inescapable fact of the universe and fundamental laws of physics, that the entire cosmos will die. Every single one of the 200 billion stars on our galaxy will go out.

And just as the death of the sun means the end of life on our planet, so the death of every star will extinguish any possibility of life in the universe.

As a fraction of the lifespan of the universe, life as we know it is only possible for one thousandth of a billion billion billionth billion billion billionth billion billion billionth of a per cent."

It's of course a very very long way off, but it seems incomprehensible to think the universe, and life, will eventually die completely and for eternity, never to return. Does anyone here think life will never be sparked again after the demise of the cosmos?

Soldato
I just watched Brian Cox's Wonders of the Universe and had my mind blown by the profound stuff he had to say. And my jaw dropped at the unbelievable numbers he reeled off. I've written verbatim the most interesting bits, which are a good read.

"The matter in black dwarves, the last matter in the universe, will eventually evaporate away and be carried off into the void as radiation, leaving absolutely nothing behind. With the black dwarves gone, there won't be a single atom of matter left. All that will remain of our once rich cosmos will be particles of light and black holes.

After an unimaginable length of time, even the black holes will have evaporated and the universe will be nothing but a sea of photons, gradually tending towards the same temperature as the expansion of the universe cools them towards absolute zero.

And when I say 'unimaginable period of time' I really mean it. It's 10,000 trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion years. How big's that number? Well if I were to start counting with a single atom representing one year, then there wouldn't be enough atoms in the entire universe to get anywhere near that number.

Once the very last remnants of the very last stars have finally decayed away to nothing, and everything reaches the same temperature, the universe finally comes to an end. The universe will become permanent and unchanging. Nothing happens and it keeps not happening. Forever.

It's what's known as the heat death of the universe. An era when the cosmos wil remain vast and cold and desolate for the rest of time. The arrow of time ceases to exist. It's an inescapable fact of the universe and fundamental laws of physics, that the entire cosmos will die. Every single one of the 200 billion stars on our galaxy will go out.

And just as the death of the sun means the end of life on our planet, so the death of every star will extinguish any possibility of life in the universe.

As a fraction of the lifespan of the universe, life as we know it is only possible for one thousandth of a billion billion billionth billion billion billionth billion billion billionth of a per cent."

It's of course a very very long way off, but it seems incomprehensible to think the universe, and life, will eventually die completely and for eternity, never to return. Does anyone here think life will never be sparked again after the demise of the cosmos?

Cosmology only even begins to make sense in that brief moment of lucidity that exists between the eighth tin of Spesh and total oblivion! :p :D

Don't worry about it. Cosmology is a wonderful thing to debate, but it is utterly and totally beyond our monkey brains to be even begin to comprehend! :/

Really, dont worry about it!

But talking about it is fun! :cool:

Soldato
the problem with Brian Cox is that he often talks as if what he is saying are proven facts, and a lot of the time they aren't.

Yeh I get that, it's like he's reading from a school textbook, memorising then repeating, he's a pop scientist like Hawking, says a lot but a lot not proven or even near proven.

Soldato

It's what's known as the heat death of the universe. An era when the cosmos will remain vast and cold and desolate for the rest of time. The arrow of time ceases to exist. It's an inescapable fact of the universe and fundamental laws of physics, that the entire cosmos will die. Every single one of the 200 billion stars on our galaxy will go out.

Seeing as we still don't understand how the universe began, we can have no knowledge that it wont happen again. We have no knowledge that it might not happen again whilst our current universe is still running along nicely. We still don't fully understand what matter is. We still don't know whether Dark Matter is a real thing or if we just need far more complex equations to describe gravity than we think. Our measurements are not precise enough to say that the universe will expand forever into nothingness. We could be wrong and it will eventually start contracting into The Big Crunch (getting pretty darn hot in the process). We don't understand why there is an imbalance between matter and anti-matter so far as I'm aware. There's an apparently plausible explanation of the universe that it's a hologram created between two opposing dimension-force-wave-thingies. It's mathematically possible that other universes can be created within our own universe and exist, pinched off, where we can't get at them but nonetheless exist.

I'd say, mind-boggling though it is, it's too early to say if everything will end forever. Nothing else ever seems to have ended that we have encountered yet, only changes into something else.

Soldato
Agreed. But he, along with many other scientists, have enough knowledge and studied enough data to predict quite accurately, no?

some things yes, other things no.
Of course they have to say some of the outrageous things to capture the imagination of the public and generate more interest in science, but don't assume that what he says is true - i mean a lot of it is, the fundamental stuff, but some of the more crazy things are conjecture at best.

Soldato
OP
Did Hawking ever say anything similar about the death of the universe? It's quite depressing, albeit zillions and zillions of years into the future, that life might end for the rest of time.

Soldato
the problem with Brian Cox is that he often talks as if what he is saying are proven facts, and a lot of the time they aren't.

Yeh I get that, it's like he's reading from a school textbook, memorising then repeating, he's a pop scientist like Hawking, says a lot but a lot not proven or even near proven.

As a (Lady) friend of mine said

Brian Cox=Billions and Billions! (And Billions)

:p

He does present it reasonably well though!

(PS Calling Hawking out as a "Pop Scientist" is a bit harsh. I am going to want you to justify that!)

Soldato
Did Hawking ever say anything similar about the death of the universe? It's quite depressing, albeit zillions and zillions of years into the future, that life might end for the rest of time.

its a rather odd thought... however remember there may be countless universes...

Soldato
anyone interested in this should youtube PBS space time, the first video i watched of their main guy bored the hell out of me... now i love their videos.. and i think i have watched them all

Soldato
Brian Cox's best guess it should be called. Cosmologists haven't even found any dark matter yet they just assume it exists because it fits the theory. Big bang theory? They have no idea why or how it happened or even if it happened at all. Science doesn't know how the double slit experiment works. My point is science still has a lot to learn today's best theory is tomorrows hogwash.

Back
Top Bottom