The Division 2 - March 2019

Man of Honour
I work in an office with 50+ Win10 installations, no issues. In terms of issues/windows update problems etc

Assumedly with a company that size updates are managed (IT dept./contractor and administrator, etc.) rather than each individual machine updating as it wants and someone is testing the updates prior to them being pushed to "production" machines? which takes away some of the problems with Windows 10 plus pushing updates outside of the normal working day and/or scheduled maintenance window.

Associate
They're tested to a degree, but not in any detail.
They'd take away some problems, but only the ones that cause major issues. We get all the updates during working hours, as that's when everyone's laptops are on.

I don't think Windows 10 would have been so much of a success, if it was still full of bugs. To me, it's the most stable and highly performing platform out of them all. All of my home machines have it and have had very very few issues. Although, I do work in IT, so I'm quick to fix them if there are any.

Man of Honour
I see the pre-order options are out on the Ubi site, anyone tempted? :D

https://store.ubi.com/uk/the-division-2.html#editions

More than tempted, I got several hundred hours out of Division 1 on co-op, I expect to get just as much out of Division 2 co-op. Plus I got enough uplay points when I preordered Assassins Creed Odyssey to enable me to use another dollop of uplay points to get 20% off The Division 2 :)

Man of Honour
Not really tempted though TD is the only game I'm still actively playing right now. Despite doing a lot right there are issues, often quite small but irritating that undo a lot of that and the developer approach I find more concerning the more I play and then there is the untapped potential in TD1 even with the inherent engine issues. I'm increasingly finding it hard to reconcile the attitude that they moved onto TD2 because there were too many things wrong with TD1 to make it worth spending more time on yet in the same breath won't admit their mistakes and generally a bit disconnected from how their game works in reality versus their vision of it and I'm loath to reward that.

Soldato
Loved TD , will be getting TD2. To be frank, the TD thread on here annoyed me way more than the game itself. Soo much moaning.

they moved onto TD2 because there were too many things wrong with TD1 to make it worth spending more time on

TD has an awful lot of work put in to it after release compared to most games, compared to any ubi game. But by end of it the player base was non existent. I can see why they'd rather work on a new game.

Soldato
To be fair on Massive, they reacted much better than most devs to feedback. They have a new game coming out and they're concentrating on that now, thats just the way of it.

I got 100s of hours out of the first and for the most part really enjoyed the game. So will definitely be on board with #2

Man of Honour
To be fair on Massive, they reacted much better than most devs to feedback.

Yet at the same time they remain quite aloof and quite resistant to taking ownership of issues with the game/admitting things aren't working even though as above in the same breath they say they've moved onto TD2 because the issues with the first game make it more worth spending the time building something new.

A lot of it is little things as well - common complaint for instance is the inventory management and limited inventory space but then they continue to work features like bonus weekends that compound that issue instead of rolling with the problem i.e. double field cache drops instead of increasing the items in the cache or increasing the chance of a bonus item drop in the cache so people have less things cluttering up actual inventory space and can manage opening the caches at their leisure.

Then there is for instance that if an NPC nudges up against you it will kick you out of open UI menus and people tend to go into safe houses, etc. to spend time in the UI menus managing things, etc. so what do they do... put loads of wandering NPCs in the newer ones like Camp Clinton who'll constantly nudge you out of menus... sure you can think to position yourself in a spot they are less likely to wander into or use another safe house but that is a bit beside the point.

Then there are the things that they've never addressed or changed - loads of people have complained about the constant audio spam when you go to the The Terminal about Last Stand - some just aren't interested in even trying it for others like me it doesn't go away even if you do a round - it can't be that hard to add a simple option to mute those kind of voice overs.

Quite frustrating as I could sort most of the non-balance, non-netcode related issues in probably not more than an afternoon and if their authoring tools are any good it should be possible to build in 100s of hours of extra content without adding a single new line of code or extra game assets just reusing what is there :( I'm not sure if it is the developer attitude or Ubi shackling them or a mixture of both but the lack of taking ownership of issues and the lack of an agile mindset to working around the ones that aren't easily solved is putting me a lot of spending any more money their way.

EDIT: I'm relatively late to the game - only been playing for a year - I suspect someone who has lived through 1.6 etc. patches probably has a little different perspective.

Last edited:
Soldato
compound that issue
almost everything i collect is instantly destroyed unless its a classified I dont have. So I got to waste time doing that which isnt really gameplay

it can't be that hard to add a simple option to mute those kind of voice overs.
that constantly repeating audio is spam on purpose, not ok. I turn down all dialogue to zero :/

Caporegime
I'll be getting it as I loved the first one. It had a **** ton of issues but the main thing was.... it was fun and no other game provided an experience quite like it, doubt I'll care for the PVP side of things again, all about the PVE, game world for me.

Hopefully it'll run as well as the first one and have way more story/missions.

Man of Honour
almost everything i collect is instantly destroyed unless its a classified I dont have. So I got to waste time doing that which isnt really gameplay

Yeah I'm holding down X as much as I'm playing a mission hah. I'm still looking for 1-2 bits like an extended magazine with 120+% capacity and rate of fire >5.5% - I've seen some people with like 6.8% RoF but not sure if that is still possible.

Man of Honour
The thing is, despite the issues with the first game, I still enjoyed it and have a playtime over 450 hours on it. If I am to assume that I would get the same amount of play and enjoyment from the second one (400+ hours), then even if it didnt improve on anything I would be simply cutting my nose off to spite my face and denying myself of a few hundred hours of co-op fun. So its really a no brainer for me.

If I hadnt enjoyed it, or had only managed to get a few dozen hours of fun out of it, I may think differently, but ultimately Im not going to rob myself of a few hundred hours of laughs with friends, only person that loses out if I do that is me.

Man of Honour
The thing is, despite the issues with the first game, I still enjoyed it and have a playtime over 450 hours on it. If I am to assume that I would get the same amount of play and enjoyment from the second one (400+ hours), then even if it didnt improve on anything I would be simply cutting my nose off to spite my face and denying myself of a few hundred hours of co-op fun. So its really a no brainer for me.

If I hadnt enjoyed it, or had only managed to get a few dozen hours of fun out of it, I may think differently, but ultimately Im not going to rob myself of a few hundred hours of laughs with friends, only person that loses out if I do that is me.

I've put in 1100 hours and a lot of that is in only a few months :s but for all that I'm still loath to reward the developers for the attitude I've seen over the year I'd owned the game for. They will have to knock it out the park for me on release or I simply won't buy the game even if I'm depriving myself. If it has all the issues of TD1 all over again I'll laugh and find something else to play.

Man of Honour
I've put in 1100 hours and a lot of that is in only a few months :s but for all that I'm still loath to reward the developers for the attitude I've seen over the year I'd owned the game for. They will have to knock it out the park for me on release or I simply won't buy the game even if I'm depriving myself. If it has all the issues of TD1 all over again I'll laugh and find something else to play.

I admire your strength of determination and principle, but with life being as fleeting as it is, the one thing I will not budge on is having fun in my life, for me, I am just as unwilling to deprive myself of the hundreds of hours of fun in TD2 as you are unwilling to reward them by buying the game. We're opposite ends of the deprivement spectrum it seems :D

Man of Honour
I admire your strength of determination and principle, but with life being as fleeting as it is, the one thing I will not budge on is having fun in my life, for me, I am just as unwilling to deprive myself of the hundreds of hours of fun in TD2 as you are unwilling to reward them by buying the game. We're opposite ends of the deprivement spectrum it seems :D

Over the years I've come to have zero tolerance for the approach of a lot of software developers both gaming and stuff like Windows :( and it can hurt - I stopped playing Eve Online on principle so to speak despite being heavily invested in the game both the game itself and having a love for that kind of game.

Man of Honour
Over the years I've come to have zero tolerance for the approach of a lot of software developers both gaming and stuff like Windows :( and it can hurt - I stopped playing Eve Online on principle so to speak despite being heavily invested in the game both the game itself and having a love for that kind of game.

Yeah, I gave up a long time ago trying to influence game companies, my pennies are such a tiny contribution that any impact I might have is beyond trivial. So these days I operate by simple formula when it comes to purchases...

X number of hours of enjoyment = Purchase.

If a game, no matter the company or dev behind it has a significant value for X, then I buy. Equally, if a game, no matter how good the company or dev behind it doesnt have a significant value for X, then I dont buy it.

Its not the most moral of formula, but it does ensure that I get maximum enjoyment :D

Associate
I'll deffo be getting it, nothing really grabbed me as much as TD around that period.
I don't see many issues with the game overall, you can nit pick all you want over little things wrong in the game, but it's not going to change the way the games are overall, all games have issues.

I'm hoping the story lines are just as good in TD2 as they were in TD1. All this is dependant for me pulling myself off PUBG. :)

Caporegime
I’m sure they’re well aware of the issues with the inventory management in the game. It’s clear it’s been designed with a controller in mind and has been made to only be as functional as necessary. My personal thought is parts of the game were rushed to meet the release date and the inventory management is one of those parts. It’s flat and barely functional and could be from a game five or even ten years ago. You couldn’t even lock items so they couldn’t be sold or deconstructed when the game launched and there was no ‘buyback’ either at the vendors. The system looks much better in D2.

Back
Top Bottom