**The Dragon Age Origins Thread **

Soldato
Release Date: 06/11/09

About:
As the spiritual successor to BioWare's Baldur's Gate, one of the most successful role-playing games in the industry, Dragon Age: Origins represents BioWare's return to its roots, delivering a fusion of the best elements of existing fantasy works with stunning visuals, emotionally-driven narrative, heart-pounding combat, powerful magic abilities and credible digital actors. The spirit of classic RPGs comes of age, as Dragon Age: Origins features a dark and mature story and gameplay.

Features:

Epic Party-Based Combat - Dragon Age: Origins will introduce an innovative, scalable combat system, as players face large-scale battles and use their party's special abilities to destroy hoardes of enemies and massive creatures.
Powerful Magic - Raining down awesome destruction on enemies is even more compelling as players apply "spell combos," a way of combining together different spells to create emergent unique effects.
Deep Customization - Players will develop their characters and gain powerful special abilities (spells, talents and skills) and discover ever-increasing weapons of destruction.
Your Story, Your Way - With its emotionally compelling story, players choose with whom they wish to forge alliances or crush under their mighty fist, redefining the world with the choices they make and how they wield their power.
Origin Stories - Players will select and play a unique prelude that provides the lens through which the player sees the world and how the world sees the player. The player's choice of Origin will determine who they are and where they begin the adventure, as they play through a customized story opening that profoundly impacts the course of every adventure.

Official Site
http://dragonage.bioware.com/

So less than 6 days im very excited, looks like its gonna be a great game. Very intersting characters, excellent story and gory as hell:D

Last edited:
Associate
This is the only game I'm actually looking forward to for the remainder of the year since Bioshock 2's been delayed. I must get round to pre-ordering the collectors edition, cloth map for the win :p

Notice that the only shop to offer CE in the UK doesn't have cloth map or steel book for that matter, their CE only has plastic box and no map. I'm so hoping the information on their website is wrong but they've replied to dozens of emails saying the CE on the site is correct and that UK is getting an inferior product compared to other countries. Why do I care? Because no one is selling the CE in Finland and in I always order from UK if this happens with a game I really want in CE form.

But this game.. it was my most wanted game year ago. Now I'm not so sure. Some of the media they've released along with the console announcement and I'm not sure if it's actually a new Baldur's Gate aka. a real computer rpg, or just another action rpg a'la Mass Effect. I'm not saying Mass Effect was bad because it wasn't by any means, but I'm just hoping Dragon Age is much closer to Baldur's Gate than Mass Effect. I want Dragon age to have depth and non-repetitive content, not action shooting gallery with repetitive planets that have no real content. Another thing that really disappoints me is the fact the game has only 3 classes. But then again Planescape Torment only had 3 classes for the main character, so it could work..

edit: Also notice that the game was slightly delayed again few weeks ago, the official EU release date is now 6th of November. Most shops have the old information still up on their site.

Associate
I wonder how long the 'intro' sections last for each different race/class before getting to the main game. I read somewhere recently that the game offers over 120hours gameplay, but this is total content so maybe a couple of hours for each race/class combination?

Just thinking in terms of replay value and wondering how far the story can divert from other strands depending on the choices you make or whether each significant decision meerly results in you having a different party member, or a different weapon etc.

I think I was more interested in it before the hype videos started appearing as well. Still be getting it at some point, maybe not day one though.

Associate
I wonder how long the 'intro' sections last for each different race/class before getting to the main game. I read somewhere recently that the game offers over 120hours gameplay, but this is total content so maybe a couple of hours for each race/class combination?

That sounds about right. I think that they said there will be a few hours beginning before you get to the 'main town' where all the origins coincide and then proceed with the main game, but that your origin should also affect the way everyone in the world reacts to your character for the whole game.

Just thinking in terms of replay value and wondering how far the story can divert from other strands depending on the choices you make or whether each significant decision meerly results in you having a different party member, or a different weapon etc.

Yeah, I'm hoping that they have large sections of quests affected by choices you make - like when you had to choose between the thieves guild and Bodhi in BG2.

I'm really looking forward to it. If it has the 'feel' and longevity of Baldur's Gate I'll be very happy.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

I think I was more interested in it before the hype videos started appearing as well. Still be getting it at some point, maybe not day one though.

120 hours per origin actually:)

Associate
As I commented in the other thread on this; anyone who is even remotely interested in this game owes it to themselves to read the novel prequel to the this: "The Stolen Throne" by David Gaider, the writer for Bioware. A really good intro to the universe imo and briefly introduces The Blight. Read this over the summer and I just wanted to play this as soon as I finished it.

Also, it has a map on the inside for those who are not getting the DE :)

Really looking forward to this game.

Soldato
I was quite excited about this game until I saw the combat, it seems uninspired and where as it could be flowing is infact very linear. Just my opinion. I'll be waiting for D3.

AJK

AJK

Associate
I was quite excited about this game until I saw the combat, it seems uninspired and where as it could be flowing is infact very linear. Just my opinion. I'll be waiting for D3.

Fair enough. The combat in DA isn't meant to be Diablo-esque, it's much closer to Knights of the Old Republic. For two very different experiences, I'll be playing both :)

Soldato
So the CE is gonna be cut-price crap without the cut in price? Screw that, I'll order from America. Cloth map ***.

Edit: Can someone explain why the initials for 'For The Win' are starred out?

Associate
Although it will probably be a good game I can't help thinking it will be overated big-time by some review sites, etc. My main concern with BW games these days is they seem more like just interactive movies/cutscenes with a sprinkling of actual gameplay in-between. Some people lap this sort of thing up but I find it OTT and goes against the grain of what a deep rpg should be.

At least there is a toolset though, which I end up messing with more than the game itself. Probably spent more time in NWN1-2 toolsets than playing those games, same with Oblivion/F3. Thank goodness modding was easy for the latter two as the base games were very mediocre. Hopefully mods will enhance DA:O as well.

And yeah, we sure got shafted here in the UK with the CE, oh well.

Soldato
Hopefully Bioware won't go down the same route Bethesda did and actually give us a good storyline (God did Oblivion's suck big time).

Yeah, cause Morrowinds was amazing. The whole point of Beth RPG's are to see the player try to live in this world, hence why the main quests are often boring, forcing you to branch out and actually try to live. You can pretty much fast travel the Oblivion main quest, completing it fairly quickly, though not as quickly as Morrowind (7 minutes).

I'm looking forward to Dragon Age and although its drawing negative comparisons to Mass Effect, I think I would enjoy a cross between that and Baldurs Gate.

Back
Top Bottom