The dreaded rolleyes.

Wise Guy
Permabanned
iCraig said:
:rolleyes:

Why is this little fella seen as such a taboo on this forum?
I think it's because of context and implication.

It's because people read something like

"That's the argument I'd expect from you. :rolleyes: "

as meaning something like

"That's the moronic level argument I'd expect from a poophead like you."

If it is used in that sort of context, then people are going to read it an an insult, and I see it used in that sort of context so often that I'm convinced that that is exactly how it was intended to be interpreted .i.e. as a not-too-subtle way of bypassing the rulesabout not insulting other members. Some people say "why get upset over a smiley?" It isn't the smiley that's offensive, it's the insulting intent behind it.

Personally, I think it usually says far more about the user than it does about the person using it. ;) :D

Oh, and there are times when I think it's perfectly valid to use it, but that (in my view) is generally when it's about a situation, rather than targetted at another member. An example might be the dumb cluck who was recently reported to have been attempting to open a rocket-propelled grenade with a sledgehammer .....with predictable results. Now that merits a rolleyes. Or, indeed .... several.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Rich_L said:
Couldn't agree more :)

I think your opinion is really great :)

Let's use this smiley loads as it can be really patronising instead :)

Don't you think? :)

:p

You've used so many smilies I can't add any more, you will have to work out my intention all by yourself. I'm quite sure you will manage.

har har :D

Man of Honour
iCraig said:
It's bizzare, anybody know why?
It's because it gets misused/misinterpreted.

Sarcasm is one of those things that very few people do well. Get it wrong, and you'll insult people (or at least they will think they are being insulted). In fact, even if used properly it can be interpreted as an insult. That inevitably leads to the emoticon itself being interpreted as an insult, rather than it's intended use.

There are of course some people here that can 'do' sarcasm incredibly well, but by that time it's too late. The emoticon has gained it's association with insults, and that's the end of it.

I'm one of those who can't do sarcasm well, so I just avoid it, and the emoticon, most of the time.

Soldato
It is a bit of a taboo emoticon that seems to get people annoyed.
Ive found that im using the ' :o ' emoticon in its place if i need to. Does seem to insult as much, and imo, just shows bordom.

Soldato
BoomAM said:
It is a bit of a taboo emoticon that seems to get people annoyed.
Ive found that im using the ' :o ' emoticon in its place if i need to. Does seem to insult as much, and imo, just shows bordom.

You know that's the emoticon for embarrasment right?

Permabanned
We know the rolleyes is supposed to indicate sarcasm, but it *looks* like he's thinking "you're an idiot" or "what you just said was stupid" :)

(because smiley icons think, yes they do :p)

Associate
Ladies and gentlemen, I present you with the new and improved rolleyes, edited for political correctness:

As you can see, rather than rolling its eyes towards the back of his head in indication of sarcasm or exasperation, the emoticon is now rolling its eyes to the left and right in an effort to embrace all its interlocutors and include them in the discussion.

Associate
redyeexn8.png

Soldato
I used to use it on myself.. until that got me into trouble.. someone took offense at me saying something along the lines of..

Stuck it on the wrong setting :rolleyes:

People see the rolleyes and think... :eek: he discredits my ocuk forum popularity with this emoticon... i must retort and make it amusing at the same time in order to reaffirm my position in the hierarchy... :rolleyes:

Associate
Believe it or not I met someone who really was THAT cross-eyed on Saturday. Spent 2 hours talking to him and it really made my head hurt trying to meet his gaze.

PS. Nice chap though, demoed a game of Warmachine to us, but if I'm gonna start turning up regularly to their group I'm gonna make him wear sunglasses.

Back
Top Bottom