The end of selling game codes you get from buying a new GPU on the Members Market.

Soldato
Free game that your worried you can't sell? Damn some of you are acting like right crybabies.

They finish by saying light on details so wait and see how it turns out.

Caporegime
Free game that your worried you can't sell? Damn some of you are acting like right crybabies.

They finish by saying light on details so wait and see how it turns out.

"Free gifts" that you get by buying something aren't actually free.

The vendor factors the cost of doing business into the cost of the product they sell (obviously). Part of the cost of doing business is the cost of promotions, such as "free gifts".

Surely everybody understands this.

Soldato
OP
"Free gifts" that you get by buying something aren't actually free.

The vendor factors the cost of doing business into the cost of the product they sell (obviously). Part of the cost of doing business is the cost of promotions, such as "free gifts".

Surely everybody understands this.

correct, I know after checking myself that the average price for a load of codes for any new major AAA release game is around £15 per code for a manufacturer to buy (can vary slightly depending on the publisher). So these costs have to be absorbed somehow, it may come from a marketing pot of cash, but ultimately that affects the bottom line for the business. So product pricing is affected by the costs of these games.

Soldato
I am going to guess it is the publishers Nvidia deal with rather than Nvidia doing this. I think at first they estimated that the giveaway stops a fraction of sales that would have come from people who bought a GPU but it would work to market both the game and the GPU brand, whose customers inhabit the same circles.

This would have worked well because it serves to market the game and very few would have actually ended up with a free game if GPU buyers used codes as intended, as not all the GPU buyers would have got those games and compared to games, not all that many people buy GPUs frequently. It would have also worked well to promote new flashy titles that dont have the usually COD or BFx title on it. This backfired massively when GPU buyers that didnt want the game ended up selling it to people who were going to go out and buy one anyway.

I wont hate on the decision, as its pretty obvious that it likely has caused more harm to the game companies than good.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think people will just factor it into their buying decision for the card or the game.

- Do I buy this card at £600 now that I can't get 30-40 quid back via the MM, fleabay etc
- Do I buy this game now, or wait until I'm buying a new GFX card. Or stuff it, wait a year for it to be on sale at under a tenner.

I think they're going to fall afoul of the law of unintended consequences and both the publishers and card vendors lose sales.

Suspended
I think people will just factor it into their buying decision for the card or the game.

- Do I buy this card at £600 now that I can't get 30-40 quid back via the MM, fleabay etc
- Do I buy this game now, or wait until I'm buying a new GFX card. Or stuff it, wait a year for it to be on sale at under a tenner.

I think they're going to fall afoul of the law of unintended consequences and both the publishers and card vendors lose sales.

Why would £30-£40 make any impact on a £600 purchase decision? It's not even 10%.

Soldato
OP
But there is no evidence to prove that it is the publishers doing this? That is just speculation.

At the end of the day the publisher gets their money from Nvidia for the game code, so why do they care where the game goes?

Soldato
If you upgrade your system and need to reinstall the game, would you need the same gfx card too or would it be a one time registration?

I don't think this will help AIB partners, as which games are bundled might actually affect a person's brand choice of gfx card (I doubt it has previously as they could be sold on) - e.g. a person who prefers Asus might have to go with another brand as they already have the free games that are bundled with the Asus card so it doesn't make sense to "waste" the extra £60 or so that they could "save" by buying a Zotac with free games they don't have.

Soldato
This is just for code activation, so if your lucky and have a mate or a work PC with a 1070/1080 you are set still.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are peeps working on tricking GFE thinking you have X card when you really have Y

Back
Top Bottom