The end of selling game codes you get from buying a new GPU on the Members Market.

Soldato
Not sure if I am reading this incorrectly.

Form what I understand the only problem is that you cant activate an Nvidia code on an non nvidia based machine???

But surely Nvidia users can still sell to each other?

I suppose the next question is, could I activate a code that was given out with a 1070/1080 on a 900 series machine?

Associate
Personally, I'd prefer them to not give anything with the cards, as has been said we pay for the codes anyway (factored into the price, I guess).

Unless you're lucky and the game you get is one you was going to buy anyway, you're still spending more money on something you don't want.

(I got Warhammer Vermintide and Rainbow Six siege with my i6700K, played the warhammer game for all of 5 minutes before realising it's carp and gave Rainbow Six to a friend who would actually play it)

Soldato
From what I understand, you log into GFE, then connect your GFE account to your Uplay account, it then activates the game on your Uplay account.

Very little room for shenanigans, if you wanted to sell somebody your game you would need them to give you their Uplay login so you could link it to your GFE and redeem the game (AFAIK).

Soldato
I once got Incoming Forces on CD when I bought a Geforce 3 Ti200. I didn't realise it was a game and not some manufacturer shovelware until I dug out the box to sell the card (£5.99) 11 years later.

Associate
AHarvey;30474757 said:
Technically not true, if punter A buys a card and gets a game they get paid once.

If punter B buys from punter A they have just lost out on a second sale.

Do graphics cards have a unique identifier such as a MAC address for network cards? If so they may be looking at linking games to the ID of the card.

Yes but Punter A doesn't use the code, Punter B does. Dev/Pub gets paid once no matter what for one license use. What I think they are ******** about the loss of a possible higher payday from Punter B who didn't buy a card. I would argue that Punter B doesn't really want the game enough in the first place to pay for it at full price, so they will likely buy it later or in sales.

What it all boils down, to me its all about greed. Games with cards is stupid in my eyes for many reasons. Why Dev/Pubs do it is due to the fact that they get a confirmed amount of purchases from this process and Nvidia get a cheaper per license cost. Its great for small Dev/Pubs as they can know that they will have sales and cash coming in for sure.

I think they are hurting some possible sales from folks that can stomach the price of a card by reducing the cost via game sales.

Soldato
cheesyboy;30465579 said:
Suspect it'll be the game publishers pushing this, not Nvidia.

I mean, why would Nvidia care?

Yep I thought the same. They'll be charging Nvidia more if they dont take measures for their gfx sales to be effecting the wider game sales.

Then I started having issues with card and had to send it back. I was charged £45 for the 'free' game,
dam that sucks

Associate
I am an Nvidia fanboy, always have been and always will be..... but I really want AMD to nail it with their next release of cards. Come on AMD!

Its about time Nvidia got kicked off the throne... it will be long overdue. We badly need some competition in the GPU market.

Anyway, back on track. Yes this is pretty stingy from Nvidia considering how much they charge for the card in the first place. Shame on you!

Soldato
Not once has any game promotion swayed my decision to make a purchase, it might have been a nice extra or knock £20 off the price when I sell it on but in the grand scheme of things, that makes so little difference on a £500 plus card. If I was fretting over that amount so much, then perhaps I shouldn't be making such an expensive purchase in the first place.

Yes it sucks you can't give a game to your mate unless the circumstances line up but some of the moans on this are just pathetic. The card isn't going to be cheaper without these codes, it's a nice little extra you may or may not be able to take advantage of.

They will have reasons for doing this, probably because of idiots that take advantage of how its currently done selling on cdkey sites.

Soldato
Rifte;30474955 said:
Not sure if I am reading this incorrectly.

Form what I understand the only problem is that you cant activate an Nvidia code on an non nvidia based machine???

But surely Nvidia users can still sell to each other?

I suppose the next question is, could I activate a code that was given out with a 1070/1080 on a 900 series machine?

Sadly not, I believe the market is limited to qualifying cards only i.e 1070 and 1080

Which brings me onto my next point, surely in the MM someone can just log onto someone elses steam account, redeem the code for them, and then let them change password. Risky, but that's why we have the trust system in place.

Back
Top Bottom