The England Cricket Thread

Soldato
Jimmy Anderson was never an out and out quick bowler. Being a quick bowler isn't necessary to being a good seamer. McGrath + Jimmy, relied on seam and bounce, and swing respectively. Not pace. Pace is far from everything, case in point Australia's Shaun Tait. Probably the fastest bowler since Shoaib Akhtar and he was pretty mediocre. Why? Because he had terrible accuracy and consistency. Consistency, control and subtle variation are the key to test bowling and it's exactly why Anderson and McGrath were so successful. Pace is not particularly relevant.

Caporegime
Strauss talking about Mark Wood being kept as an away-only test seamer is total BS in my view.

Let's play both Archer and Wood. Fast and nasty. It's not like they don't / can't swing it too. Why are we scared of selecting fast bowlers in England? When Anderson retires from test cricket, what will we do? Play Curran instead of Wood? Please.

Caporegime
Just an incredible innings. What a future he has ahead of him. I wonder if they'll promote him to open if Burns's poor run continues.

That said we need a strong #3 whilst Root is going through a dry spell, which he certainly appears to be.

Why are the Sky commentators talking about us declaring? 1-0 up and this is the last match in the series...surely we bat and bat and bat? I don't get it, unless they're talking about entertainment reasons.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Pointless declaring may as well just send everyone one like it's a 20/20, smash as many runs as quickly as possible.

I agree though, stay in as long as possible and think about the series.

Back
Top Bottom