The England Cricket Thread

Soldato
I'm not saying this is necessarily my view, but there might be some who would argue that's what's needed for a bit to really stamp out racism and the like. The over-reaction makes people think twice and really question their behaviour "Can I say this? Could this be construed the wrong way?".

It's like when Tony Adams got banged up, just happened to coincide with a big drink-driving campaign for Xmas. Some felt his sentence was a bit harsh but maybe it made the difference between another pint or a glass of coke for one or two people.

That’s a really good point and one I hadn’t thought of to be honest.

Caporegime
Seems a bit strange for him to comment on it after some of the remarks he's made much later in life than these Robinson tweets.

To BoJo, all racism and sexism is just good bants, innit. It's the Eton way.

But, for once, I agree with him. In the past, these tweets would have been some crude comments in the pub: off colour but now long forgotten. Twitter turned them into a permanent record.

People shouldn't be getting their careers wrecked ten years later over comments made when they were barely past a child.

Man of Honour
It's a tough one, we now live in a society where more and more of what we do is recorded (in some form or other, both by choice and not). On the one hand that makes it impossible to live freely because you have to have your guard up all the time. On the other hand, some would argue that's a good thing because you can't get away with bad behaviour as readily. There was probably an era where much more serious misconduct was just brushed under the carpet.

Getting a bit silly now though, check out these atrocious messages:
Screen grabs of Buttler saying 'Well done on double 100 much beauty batting you are on fire sir,' to Alex Hales from August 2017, and messages from Morgan and Brendon McCullum to Buttler the following May, the former commenting 'Sir you're my favourite batsman' and McCullum adding 'Sir, you play very good Opening batting,' also came to light.

Associate
It's a tough one, we now live in a society where more and more of what we do is recorded (in some form or other, both by choice and not). On the one hand that makes it impossible to live freely because you have to have your guard up all the time. On the other hand, some would argue that's a good thing because you can't get away with bad behaviour as readily. There was probably an era where much more serious misconduct was just brushed under the carpet.

That takes me back to my original point- That's the ideal, not the reality- people from all walks of life get away with being overtly prejudicial and racist in action as well as word, yet professional sportsmen get dragged in front of the baying crowds and hung drawn and quartered for badly chosen words made in a different era. I realise it'll never change, but it's not right.

Man of Honour
That's what I mean by it's getting silly - if you can't say "Sir you're my favourite batsman" to a teammate then we may as well give up on any form of media coverage.

Caporegime
Things like this just dilute the important message in my opinion :(

I dunno, out of context I didn't pick up on the racist slant, but mocking people for the way they (supposedly) speak is pretty straight forward racism presuming that is what it was. It's kinda hard to tell taken out of context, isn't it, but I don't see anything that suggests that the batsmen responsible are making any claims that this wasn't what they were doing. I wouldn't call for them to be sacked or anything over this, but an apology and sticking to a promise to behave better in future seems in order.

Soldato
I dunno, out of context I didn't pick up on the racist slant, but mocking people for the way they (supposedly) speak is pretty straight forward racism presuming that is what it was. It's kinda hard to tell taken out of context, isn't it, but I don't see anything that suggests that the batsmen responsible are making any claims that this wasn't what they were doing. I wouldn't call for them to be sacked or anything over this, but an apology and sticking to a promise to behave better in future seems in order.

I guess you are right, but I genuinely didn't even realise as you say context is everything. ECB have made a rod for their back now though, staggering they don't have checks in place for social media posts. Even more so with them being that far back!

Caporegime
OP
I’ve seen the same thing on here before tbh.

People posting about Indian telephone support people and mocking them with things like “Hello, today I am being Richard”.

no one been pulled up on here for it.

Soldato
There's surely a line between harmful racism and harmless stereotyping though. I've worked in India, and loved every second of it. They do use "sir" incredibly frequently. But is referencing that any more harmful than referencing the purported love the English have for queuing, talking about the weather a lot, or drinking tea? It's hard to see how.

The other end of the scale was the Robinson tweet associating a certain religion with terrorism which, joke or not, clearly perpetuated a harmful and wrong stereotype.

Back
Top Bottom