The Expendables

Soldato
Saw this last Thursday and OMFG it was awesome, the action is brilliant, the all star cast is fantastic, to those who dish the story it actually does a very good job of exploring multiple characters backgrounds and life, we see Christmas's relationship with Charisma, we hear Rourke tell his backstory, we see the downfall of Dolph, plus the main story of being tricked by the CIA into toppling the puppet dictator of a rogue CIA agent is pretty cool.

The action is awesome, The cast is awesome, however the are three faults I found with it:

1: The CG effects, oh...my...god, did they get the guys from Mega shark vs Giant Octopus in to do them? the blood splatter from Stallone's knife to the throat looked like it had been lifted from Resident Evil 2, the fire "burning" Austin when he died was super lame and the exploding mansion at the end was sub 1980's standards for exploding buildings

2: Jet Li Vs Gary Daniels (moustache guy) for those who didn't recognise him Gary is one of the most successful British martial artists ever, and he's the guy dressed as Ken in that Jackie Chan Street Fighter clip from City Hunter you used to find all over the net, I was looking forward to this inevitable showdown and it really saddened me it was ruined by another expendable getting involved (btw for those of you who don't think Dolph could take Jet down in real life watch his movie where he fights Bruce Lees son, he is pretty damn good)

3: Terry Crews didnt make a reference to the P-P-P-Power of that shotgun, missed opertunity for a legendary one liner :p

Apart from that awesome movie, my fav of the year

Soldato
Seeing this tonight :D Looking forward to it :D I am not - however - looking forward to the queues on Orange Wednesday just to save a few pounds :(

Associate
Truly awesome!

Absolutely loved it, I thought the action was amazingly over the top and done to perfection with just the right levels of relentlessness and violence and as always OMG the shotty!

it made me feel the way I did when I was a kid watching Commando et al on worn out videos, looking forward to seeing my friends the next day to say how awesome 'this' death scene was and 'that' characters gun and 'those' cheesy one-liners.

It genuinely took me back, movies aren't fun in that way any more, sure I love a good comedy and all the hybrid genre's there are nowadays, but there's something about the ridiculousness of the action this film holds that had me sitting with a big stupid grin on my face through every action scene.

Soldato
Loved the film! Favourite two bits
- Terry Crews: "Remember this **** at christmas time!"
- Randy Couture being the one who does in Stone Cold, after all he is one of the hardest people ever and the hardest actor in the film!

obviously it can't be using normal shotgun shells at 280rounds per minute. impossible to throw them out
Tis a real gun, uses normal shotgun shells in reality (although I agree the film made it look like it was the explosive ones taking out the towers)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atchisson_Assault_Shotgun

Last edited:
Soldato
Tis a real gun, uses normal shotgun shells in reality (although I agree the film made it look like it was the explosive ones taking out the towers)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atchisson_Assault_Shotgun
Awesome film.

Love this site for action movies > http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Expendables,_The

Hale Caesar (Terry Crews) uses a AA-12 with drum magazine and flashlight attachment. The weapon is loaded with Frag-12 explosive rounds (described in detail at the start of the raid).

frag12projectile1.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The scene in the church was a great cameo. 3 greatest action stars under one roof! (arnie, brucie and stallone) Best scene:

Schwarzenegger : Give this job to my friend here. He loves playing in the jungle, right?
Stallone: [sarcastically] Right.
Bruce: [as Arnold leaves; confused] What's his ******g problem?
Stallone: He wants to be president.

Stallone has already talked about ideas for the sequel :D

Last edited:
Associate
I don't understand how this film is getting so much love it's utter garbage
the action is the selling point but that sucks too.

Soldato
I thought it was awesome.. Cheesey as hell.. But awesome! :D

One of the better films I've seen this year. Didn't take itself to seriously and some of the action scenes and one liners were great! :D

Soldato
Saw it last night and it was proper popcorn stuff.

Bad story, bad acting, bad script mixed in with some ridiculous action scenes and over the top fighting.

It aint never going to top anybodies list of great films but at least I got what I was expecting, that being a cheesy action flick with which to digest some nachos too.

Associate
I liked it, yes the story is bad and the acting even worse but i liked the silly in jokes and over the top action. Reminds me of how action movies used to be, hope he makes a second.

Associate
Thought it was poor. Admittedly that's because I didn't take to the over-the-top action sequences or repetitive cheese of it all.

Some one-liners were good and Terry Crews with the shotgun was a brilliant moment.

Back
Top Bottom