The Fashion Thread... personal tastes, musings, and recommendations

Caporegime
OP
Personally I think il leave all of my All Saints shopping until the sales. The stuff is nearly all great, but I think some of it is pretty overpriced.

Associate
All of it is overpriced except for the jeans and boots. Logo-branded tops - especially t-shirts and v-necks - are where these big brands get all their money. Tiny production cost and a massive mark-up. You're a mug for paying for it! I have a few decent plaid/cotton/chambray shirts from them, but they're not really good for wearing everyday.

Caporegime
OP
Can someone please spec me some business shoes for winter that actually have a good solid tread... but without being too bulky or Doc Martenesque? Max budget £50 or so.

All of it is overpriced except for the jeans and boots. Logo-branded tops - especially t-shirts and v-necks - are where these big brands get all their money. Tiny production cost and a massive mark-up. You're a mug for paying for it! I have a few decent plaid/cotton/chambray shirts from them, but they're not really good for wearing everyday.

Agreed, with the only caveat being that I think the coats and jackets are very good quality. Yes, they are overpriced, but you get something pretty individual looking made form quality materials that not too many people will have.

Caporegime
Robbie where was this one from? Really like it.

Amazon, it's called Hugo Boss The Sintrax. There seem to be a few different versions floating around...colours, collar types, etc. 100% pure virgin wool with some kind of water repellant treatment. Getting comments on it at work, it's a nice coat.

Pic if you're interested. Got the 40 in the end:

Mv7ACl.jpg

Soldato
I haven't had a light coloured pair of Jeans for years so treated myself to some yeaterday along with a camo jacket.
Apologies for the miserable picture.

P1080421a.jpg

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
Is a dark grey / charcoal suit (smart white shirt, silk black tie) acceptable at a Christmas party where the dress code is "Smart - black tie optional (no denim)"? Worn the combo to a couple of weddings this year.

I have the alternative of a black shirt.

Soldato
Chipper - buy smaller jeans (not fitted girly jeans though) :p You look like a kid wearing his dads jeans.

Tad harsh, but t'is true :)

I can see were you're coming from I tried Levis 511's but they were just too tight so went for 501's, I couldn't get them any smaller as they wouldn't fit round the waist.

All my other Jeans are slimmer fitting I fancied some a bit more relaxed.

I usually wear my Strike Gold 2109 Pure Gold Jean, slim Tapered 17oz Unsanforized Japanese Selvedge Denim which as you can see are a bit tighter fit :)

P1070361.jpg

Associate
I can see were you're coming from I tried Levis 511's but they were just too tight so went for 501's, I couldn't get them any smaller as they wouldn't fit round the waist.

All my other Jeans are slimmer fitting I fancied some a bit more relaxed.

I usually wear my Strike Gold 2109 Pure Gold Jean, slim Tapered 17oz Unsanforized Japanese Selvedge Denim which as you can see are a bit tighter fit :)

P1070361.jpg

Those are incomparably more flattering. Levi 514s are a good fit, slim rather than skinny

Soldato
Anybody got any Timberlands? I have the Nubuck type and was wondering how you can make them a little more waterproof/stainproof??

The slightest bit of rain and they look terrible:(

Back
Top Bottom