1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Future of the Human Race

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by anarchist, 14 Aug 2006.

1. anarchist

PermaBanned

Eye-catching thread title but, misleadingly, my scope is actually slightly narrower than that :)

Given the fact that, in Britain at least (and possibly most developed countries), professional working people have less children and later in life than their opposites, at what point will this start to affect the gene pool - if indeed it ever does?

2. CircleFaust

Mobster

i dont think it'll affect the gene pool. professionals offspring are not necessarily any more intelligent than anyone else. they are just more likely to follow in their parents footsteps because they are given the opportunity.
    if they are having less children these spaces will just be filled up with people from other sections of the community.

3. Surfer

Capodecina

your question links in with another timebomb issue. (certainly one in which the French are a wee bit concerned about)

Reduced birth rates among indigenous population = increased immigration = more diverse culture = diluting of traditional values? = a threat to status quo? = increasing tensions = conflict

today's War is War of cultures and how globalisation perhaps is leading to the homogenization of the planet?

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20050222/1229214.shtml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/ma...nuId=242&sSheet=/money/2005/08/31/ixcity.html

4. AJUK

Man of Honour

The Death of the West by Pat Buchannan is a must read on this subject. The planned immigration of breeders from all parts of the world will eventually lead to the the reduction and elimination of indigenous people. We should all look forward to the dull, homogenious, uncreative and culturally sterile future world inhabited by people of all one colour, a result of deliberate racial dissolution.

On a side issue with the proposal for a Euro-centric search engine to rival Google's dominance and the Anglo-Saxon 'cultural imperialism'. One of the partners is Duetsche Telecom, a German company. How it ios possible to be any more Saxon than a German, I don't know. :p

5. starscream

PermaBanned

Would that be the book that he blames the decline of birth rates as down to homosexuality, suggests that abortion in all cases should be made illegal, and would scrap discrimination laws so that women don't earn as much as men in an attempt to force them into housekeeping?

Breeding between different races leads to uncreativity? :confused: Although perhaps if society is not able to rid itself of preduces, maybe a homogeneous society would be a positive thing.

6. Meridian

Man of Honour

Ah, this old myth rears its ugly head again.

Right, in no particular order...

1) Please don't confuse intelligence with education: the poor are not necessarily poor because they are stupid, and their children are certainly not like that. But many people who bring up this argument seem to think that all poor people must be below average intelligence. AFAIK the difference in IQs between the various classes is lost in the background noise.

2) Intelligence generally follows a process called (IIRC) "precession to the mean". Essentially, children tend to have more average intelligence that their parents. So if two people with IQs of (say) 80 had children together, then their children will have an IQ closer to 100, as will a couple whose IQs are both 130.

3) In general, the children of immigrants have as many children as the norm for their adopted country, because to a very large degree the amount of children is decided by factors other than tradition. In fact, the single biggest factor in birthrates is the level of female literacy. This means that an immigrant family might well arrive with an uneducated mother and ten kids. But all her daughters will be educated (the level required for this to work is essentially average literacy) and thus will have far fewer children.

Remember that the population of Britain is made entirely of immigrants and their decendants, so we would expect to have seen the effects suggested by the OP centuries ago if they were true.

And before anyone starts pointing out exceptions, please note the use of the words "in general".

M

7. Rancidelephant

Mobster

We seem to be assuming that the numbers of humans will continue increasing exponentially, when infact it will come to a point where it will level off and drop. When this will be is about as touch as when peak oil is but it is similar in that it will happen.

The fact that developed nations tend to have less children is a huge help to slowing this effect but at some point everyone in a really cramped nation will move to a much less cramped one. i.e. France.

Other factors will come into play such as economic strength of nations but there has to be some point where there is just no more room and even France may be a better option than living on the streets in England.

If China scraps its one child per family (as economists say is almost mandatory) then we are all in deep doo doo sooner, but we are going to be in the doo doo anyway.

8. Sharknose

Wise Guy

Just goes to show that Economists talk out of their rear-ends. China's economy is completely unsustainable at their growth rates in the short term. (Mind you, in the long term, ANY growth is unsustainable ;) )

9. Nix

Capodecina

China's population is going to half within a generation's time, so I wouldn't worry too much about them.

10. anarchist

PermaBanned

I didn't mention, or even hint at immigration or intelligence. I was referring to the difference between working and non-working people really (or rather the work ethic and the non-work ethic).

Not that I want a thread about immigration, but surely increasing immigration from multiple countries reduces the homogeneous nature of our population, not increases it?

11. Bar

Mobster

I did a thread about this in SC a while ago - and it all centred around whether attitudes towards work are inherited or not.

Council estate breeding factories are pumping out babies by the thousand who generally all end up on the dole and parents themselves by age 12. (Slight tangent but I was deeply upset when my niece was visiting her cousins down south, she met her cousin Emily and when she was told she was 15 she asked in all honesty where her baby was!)

Whereas those who have the work ethic tend to work longer and establish careers before having children. It is a lot harder to have children after your mid to late 30's and this is what people are experiencing.

12. aardvark

Sgarrista

i don't see it as a problem - if anything the gene pool is healthier than its ever been due to more inter-racial families.

i think the human race has far bigger problems than this! ;)

13. Meridian

Man of Honour

You are correct - I was actually thinking of the third post here.

But again - you seem to be assuming that there is a straight correlation between working and IQ, which there isn't - it's much more complex, as most things are.

M

14. Surfer

Capodecina

ehh???? i mentioned immigration but not intelligence and not the poor either...uhmm care to explain for me thanks! :)