The Good ol' days

Associate
We've just been having a chat in the office about the good old days of the internet.

Discussing rushing home from school to sit on MSM messenger or Habbo hotel etc. . .

Between the office we managed to prompt each other to remember the websites we used to spend endless hours on like Tucows or Ebaums world!. Which ones did you spend a silly amount of hours scrolling through?

Capodecina
Soldato
Which ones did you spend a silly amount of hours scrolling through?

This one. Which was way better in the 2000s, now the forums are just a shadow of their former self.

As for other sites, 4chan [which was also a lot better in the 2000s] and MySpace. MSN Messenger was fantastic but it got assimilated into Skype, and then everyone left it for Facebook. There were a load of other sites I went to regularly but no-one here would have heard of them.

Basically the internet was better before smartphones came along.

Associate
MSN, and using the 3rd party tool where you could said infinite nudges to people and then their computer would crash

Associate
OP
This one. Which was way better in the 2000s, now the forums are just a shadow of their former self.

As for other sites, 4chan [which was also a lot better in the 2000s] and MySpace. MSN Messenger was fantastic but it got assimilated into Skype, and then everyone left it for Facebook. There were a load of other sites I went to regularly but no-one here would have heard of them.

Basically the internet was better before smartphones came along.

I agree, I always loved hearing about new websites, Looking back it was great to be apart of the internet when it was raw and new.

Capodecina
Soldato
I agree, I always loved hearing about new websites, Looking back it was great to be apart of the internet when it was raw and new.

If you grew up in the '70s or '80s, it was a great time to be alive from the point of view of the ascendancy of digital technologies. You were able to experience home computing and the tech-crazy '80s, as well as the offline life before the 1990s came alone, as did the internet and mobile phones AND you were able to experience the internet in all its anarchy before tighter regulation came along in the 2010s. No-one born from the 1990s onwards will have been able to experience life offline or away from the clutches of the digital megacorporations.

For instance, just think of p2p clients like Kazaa, Limewire and eMule, and how the record industry was in panic for years because of Rapidshare and Mediafire downloads. They literally had no idea what to do for years about the downloading. It was a total free-for-all.

Back
Top Bottom