The Good ol' days

Commissario
Prestel, Micronet 800, Compuserve.
TMMC - The Midnight Micronetters Club with the chat board which only held something like 35 messages before they wrapped.
The TMMC UK tour :eek:

Soldato
This has awoken some memories. There was RatherGood.com if I remember that had the tourette-ophone and animations to Destiny's Child called Alf Garnett. There was some viedo and image website the name started with a K instead of a C and had a ninja kind of motif. Can't remember the name though. First websites I went to you had to type in the IP address to get them. Netscape before Internet Explorer.

edit: Brainwave think it was Kontraband having checked the address now not the same website or anything like it.

Soldato
i loved the days of gamespy arcade! Just nothing like that anymore.

All See Eye was better :D

But now everything is "matchmaking", peer-to-peer servers and crap. It feels like we have gone backwards. I remember 64 player dedicated servers on many games (including old counter-strike) with no noticable lag. Now we get 8-16 on a tiny map and lag often.

Associate
OP
A bit of a longshot, but did anybody ever see 'My street cam'? basically some kid had his webcam showing on his street and it would take pictures every 10-15seconds. People would go nuts about it, and discuss images they had seen and upload screenshot etc and discuss what was potentially going on. Absolutely garbage if you think about it but I remember spending days on it discussing stupid things like the same car driving up and down the street. So odd thinking back

Soldato
Goatse and meatspin can never be forgotten!

I once linked a mate of mine Lemon Party, he wasn't very good with computers so he didn't know how to get rid of it.

His mother happened to walk in on him while he was furiously trying to close the window. He was banned from using PC's unsupervised for months, she actually moved it into the living room and put a password on it so he couldn't use it while she was out. His father that evening sat him down and gave him a 'birds and the bees' talk coupled with how old men weren't suitable partners for a teenaged boy.

I thought it was hilarious, don't think he ever forgave me for it.

Caporegime
I once linked a mate of mine Lemon Party, he wasn't very good with computers so he didn't know how to get rid of it.

His mother happened to walk in on him while he was furiously trying to close the window. He was banned from using PC's unsupervised for months, she actually moved it into the living room and put a password on it so he couldn't use it while she was out. His father that evening sat him down and gave him a 'birds and the bees' talk coupled with how old men weren't suitable partners for a teenaged boy.

I thought it was hilarious, don't think he ever forgave me for it.

Haha. When I was at college when someone used to leave their pc logged on we would go on the tubgirl website and wait for IT to come running up the stairs as it would flag on their network. :D.

Soldato
Usenet - alt.comp.hardware.overclocking, rec.arts.sf.written.robert.jordan - loved those groups and still have Internet friends from those.

As others have said more eloquently, the Internet has become as much of a curse as a boon. A complete lack of objective fact-checking has allowed every crazy an equal voice that then gets shared instantly around the world.

"Besides, as the vilest Writer has his Readers, so the greatest Liar has his Believers; and it often happens, that if a Lie be believ’d only for an Hour, it has done its Work, and there is no farther occasion for it. Falsehood flies, and the Truth comes limping after it; so that when Men come to be undeceiv’d, it is too late; the Jest is over, and the Tale has had its Effect…" - Jonathan Swift 1710

The tragedy with the Internet today is that the truth is much less interesting usually so never gets shared. "Joe Biden spoke unaided at the Presidential Debate" is boring; "Joe Biden had an earpiece and refused to allow his ears to be checked!" is much more interesting even if completely untrue.

Reddit is the new Usenet but with far more people and much less civility.
Facebook and Instagram and Twitter should just be shut down.

Back
Top Bottom