Poll: The Great OcUK Distro/Derivative Poll III

What are your favourite distrobutions or UNIX derivatives?

• Red Hat

Votes: 160 40.7%
  • Mandrake

Votes: 104 26.5%
  • Suse

Votes: 66 16.8%
  • Debian

Votes: 39 9.9%
  • Gentoo

Votes: 66 16.8%
  • Slackware

Votes: 60 15.3%
  • LFS

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD

Votes: 36 9.2%
  • Other UNIX (Solaris, IRIX etc)

Votes: 25 6.4%
  • Other, please specifiy

Votes: 21 5.3%

• Total voters

Vai

Vai

Soldato
I would love a brand new Poll, I have moved from Mandrake to Gentoo and don't ever plan on going back ;)

sheol

S

sheol

Previously tried:
SUSE pretty good.
Debian fine if you like antiquated stability.
Mandrake not too bad at all.
Redhat not to my liking.
FreeBSD Liked as server not as desktop.

However I have been running Gentoo since I installed it about a year ago, and without something dramatic changing now I have found Gentoo I am unlikely to be installing any other distributions.

IceWindFire

I

IceWindFire

Another RedHatter here, sorry guys ;)

Set up a box (use it as well as my windows box ... KVM switches are cool) with it and its quite nice. Mainly use it for my "joyous" programming assignments at uni :(

hehe :D

JK1

JK1

Associate
I use Xandros 2

It's great for people like me. People who are just starting out in Linux. Getting 3D acceleration was a little tricky but I did so I am proud of myself. :) It takes about 10 mins to install, comes with OpenOffice, Crossover (Deluxe Edition) and Windows Server authentication (Business Edition)

www.xandros.com

Suppose that's a vote for "other"

Associate
Im not a novice, I use a *nix web server every day but I always struggle with installation and desktop config.

Is Gentoo really a lot more diffifult than Mandrake?

Is Mandrake a branch of Redhat?

What about Fedora/Slackware?

Soldato
Why on earth is everybody jumping on Gentoo? It's not an insult type question that's meant to be rhetoric, it's a genuine question, because I'm not sure what people are seeing it has advantages over.

What's wrong with Debian? I've been using it for ages with fluxbox, and haven't been happier. :confused:

Soldato
I was keen on gentoo because it's a very involved instal, I thought it'd help me learn about linux and it sure as hell has. It's also nice and light weight to run on my PII400 and everything is setup how I want it:).

richard_neil

R

richard_neil

Distro's used

I've played with RH, Fedora, Mandrake and Suse over the years and I swear by Smoothwall with three running at work and home beautifully. At the moment I'm working with Suse 9.1 personal at home which looks good having tired of problems with Fedora (quite probably more my problems than Fedora's!).

Have a Fedora running at work providing DNS and Apache (internal use only) on a small Windows network and it's been a little bit of a pig to me as a relative newbie in some ways but on the other hand it has been up and running without a reboot for any reason other than my ignorance since early January. It will have to go down soon though as the CPU fan is starting to sound a little unhealthy.

Back
Top Bottom