The Great OcUK Rock Music Questionnaire - 20-28yr olds

Man of Honour

A. Five favourite bands

1. Oasis
2. Goo Goo Dolls
3. R.E.M.
4. Stereophonics
5. Counting Crows

B. Most influential bands of our generation.

1. U2
2. The Stone Roses
3. Nirvana
4. Pulp
5. Radiohead

C. Most influential bands of all time.

1. The Beatles
2. Nirvana
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. Joy Division
5. The Kinks

To be honest I'm not sure about several of my choices - ask me another day and I'd probably give you different lists of influential bands. Heck, even my favourite bands aren't set in stone, I haven't listened to an REM or Stereophonics album in months.

Soldato
Age - 27

A. Five favourite bands.

This one is as simple as it sounds. List your five favourite overall bands, not just the latest bands you like at the minute but the five bands you consistently find yourself listening to. Rate them as follows:-

1. The Flaming Lips
2. Talking Heads
3. The Orb
4. Pixies
5. The Beatles

This one is a bit more involved. List the top five bands who you think have made the biggest contribution to music since you've been listening to music.

1. Nirvana/Pixies (Can't decide)
2. Public Enemy
3. The Stone Roses
4. The Beta Band
5. Bjork

This one encompasses all the bands since Chuck Berry first picked up a guitar Again, top five.

1. The Beatles
2. Kraftwerk
3. Nirvana
4. The Sex Pistols
5. Public Enemy

Ta!

Associate

A. Five favourite bands.

This one is as simple as it sounds. List your five favourite overall bands, not just the latest bands you like at the minute but the five bands you consistently find yourself listening to. Rate them as follows:-

1. King Adora
2. The Wildhearts
3. At the Drive In
4. Soulwax
5. Sublime

This one is a bit more involved. List the top five bands who you think have made the biggest contribution to music since you've been listening to music.

1. The Stone Roses
2. Nirvana
3. Green Day
4. Queen
5. Metallica

This one encompasses all the bands since Chuck Berry first picked up a guitar Again, top five.

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Eric Clapton
3. Sex Pistols
4. The Beatles
5. David Bowie

Soldato

A. Five favourite bands.

1. Queens of the Stone Age
2. Deftones
3. Cold
4. Rage Against The Machine
5. System of a Down

1. Nirvana
2. Rage Against The Machine
3. Tool
4. The Prodigy
5. Nine Inch Nails

1. The Who
2. Black Sabbath
3. Sex Pistols
4. The Beatles
5. Jimi Hendrix

Associate

A. Five favourite bands.

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. The Doors
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Eric Clapton / Cream
5. Libertines & Babyshambles

1. Guns n Roses
2. The Beastie Boys
3. The Libertines
4. Arctic Monkeys
5. Oasis

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Rolling Stones
4. The Beatles
5. Black Sabbath

Associate
I wouldn't count some of the entries as rock, but was this supposed to be a questionnaire purely on rock music?

As for the Arctic Monkeys, I'd say having sold in excess of 100,000 albums in one day is quite influential.

Soldato
aix0 said:
I wouldn't count some of the entries as rock, but was this supposed to be a questionnaire purely on rock music?

As for the Arctic Monkeys, I'd say having sold in excess of 100,000 albums in one day is quite influential.

What bands have they influenced?

Soldato
aix0 said:

I'd have to disagree. I've yet to hear a band influenced by them. Selling 100,000 albums in a day doesn't make them influential. It just makes them popular (and the general public stupid).

Soldato
OP
aix0 said:

How many copies did the Spice Girls album shift in the first day? Sales popularity neither indicates musical quality or being influential.

I don't see how a band who were signed less than a year ago can have influenced any bands at all, let alone been influential enough to make a top 5 of bands from our lifetime.

Associate
Really, it's down to personal opinion but i'd say that seeing a band comprised of 4 mates who just wanted to play in a band together, not perticually strong musicians and chart to success the way that they did smashing album sale records. It 'will' be influential to non-signed and up and coming bands.

Associate
You can't really compare a manufactured, purposely made girl-group that was put together with the sole intentions of making money. That's not what they set out to do.

Permabanned
Pretty much every band that has ever been formed consists of 3/4/5 mates wanting to play music together

Associate

A. Five favourite bands.

1. Radiohead
2. Dj Shadow
3. Super furry animals
4. Primal Scream
5. Bob Marley

The last 3 are in no particular order and took me ages to decide apon. still not sure if they are right. too many to choose from.

1. Orbital
2. Dj shadow (and james lavelle)
3. leftfield
4. Massive Attack
5. Nivarna

This one encompasses all the bands since Chuck Berry first picked up a guitar :) Again, top five.

1. jimmy Hendrix
2. Lee 'Scratch' Perry or perhaps the Mad Professor - can't decide
3. Orbital
4. The rolling stones
5. joy division
6. Happy mondays
7. Bob marley
8. leftfield

in particular order, and to name but a few.

sorry i didn't follow the rules, but it was just too hard to choose.

Last edited:
Soldato

A. Five favourite bands.

1. Radiohead
2. Nirvana
3. Sigur Ros
4. Bjork
5. Beck

1. The Smiths
2. Sonic Youth
3. Nirvana
4. Radiohead
5. The Stone Roses

1. The Beatles
2. Elvis
3. Bob Dylan
4. David Bowie
5. The Smiths

Last edited: