• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Soldato
My 6g I've taken a different avenue.

Ive realised that whilst the fans are very quiet. The best config is just to have the profile on default.

This raises the heat a bit, but I've upped the voltage a level, +13 makes it go to 1.212v and boost to 1449, with +95 on the core.

I quickly hit 60 which knocks the voltage back to 1.193 and takes 13mhz off the boost to 1436. But at least the voltage isn't going down to 1.17x which I feel is too low for a stable oc into 1400 on this card.

All this with the card on stock fan profile and it hit 73c. I've run Valley for 1hr and BF4 for 1hr. No problems. Just got to run witcher 3 allowing the fps to run as fast as it can to max it.

Every other option net me another 10mhz etc but with a load more sound. Sound is still low, but the default fan is too nice.

Associate
Looks awesome Razor, love a white build.
Thanks, I tend to get bored of white (painted my old Define R4 black after a few months) but is a perfect base colour with the Luxe strips (changing colour every day).
The card sags quite a bit (amp extreme was more rigid), but I'm looking for an excuse to replace the motherboard :o

Associate
lol
1535 Core, 3800mem, still testing.
The nice thing is that Vcore is locked @ 1.2 during load, which is the sweet spot for this cooler. Under water, I see people putting a different bios.

Converted plan to sli these and get the blocks when out. Just going on holiday at end of the week so probably will have to order when i get back.

Caporegime
It's a lot like the Titan X cooler, you can't hear it during general desktop use web stuff, movies etc. When in really demanding game like Witcher 3 the sound is like a gentle whooshing noise, not irritating, but certainly not quiet either, you can hear it with the speakers turned down but it's not deafening like the old 290X etc.

If I was using a larger case I would have opted for non ref, but blower or AIO is best type for my setup. If you have room go non ref, actually if SLI and non water reference is better then as well. Apart from that go non ref lol.

Nice to see you've got it setup, sounds really nice. What's the Node 804 like? almost went with it myself last week but the utter utter wideness put me off :D

Soldato
Nice to see you've got it setup, sounds really nice. What's the Node 804 like? almost went with it myself last week but the utter utter wideness put me off :D

I like it, styling suits my room better, as it's setup in Bay window.

About the same size (Bit smaller) than my Subwoofer, you can see it here, next to PS4 for scale lol.

PS4 is what I do most gaming on these days, sacrilege I know. Playing Witcher 3 on PC though, and it is sick :p

ojtwh8m.jpg
FdN56Gy.jpg
g4zcJ4i.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Dear God, she's a big bitch!!!! Class though :cool:

I'm just thinking of precious desk space, even though I have a massive desk :D

Cheers for the pics though, really like it tbh :)

CPU cooling you got in it m8? I have a H110i, do you have an AiO? Which section?

Soldato
Dear God, she's a big bitch!!!! Class though :cool:

I'm just thinking of precious desk space, even though I have a massive desk :D

Cheers for the pics though, really like it tbh :)

CPU cooling you got in it m8? I have a H110i, do you have an AiO? Which section?

You put your case on the desk?

No chance of that here lol, I've got two monitors, keyboard, speaker hub etc. And space for cups of tea :D

Half my room is tech now, other half belongs to the missus :rolleyes:

The CPU cooler is the shiznit, using a refurb H110 (Dual 140mm fans), only cost £49, At stock the 5930K is around 28C > 30C IDLE / Desktop, and 50C LOAD. Fans on lowest setting (Silent) in BIOS. Overclocked with 1.4V and 4.6Ghz my 5930K doesn't go past 79C. (Fans on High). Tis very fast as well this chip..

wcdcPQx.png

Peux659.png

Last edited:
Associate
So I'm now on the market for a 980Ti, but I really can't decide on which one to go for. G1 is out the window because too many coil whine complaints (a shame as my previous cards have been G1's). So it's a toss up between MSI 6G, Palit Jeststream or HoF.

MSI seems the safest bet, but the HoF would go with the white theme of my case. But it's huge and I dislike the 'HALL OF FAME' on the side, way to make the card ugly! Plus worried about card sag.

Palit seems a viable option, and is cheaper.

Hmmm, decisions. Any reviews on the HoF relating to temps/noise?

Associate
My first G1 Gaming came with coil whine, so I RMA'd it, got a replacement less than 48 hours later, heard coil whine again - Turns out it was my Corsair PSU causing the noise, not an uncommon problem so I have learnt. Still not sure if OcUK gave me an RMA just to humour me or not :p

The MSI 6G seems to be one of the most common cards, same with the Zotac AMP!, both of which have mostly positive reviews, unless you are Gerard.

I actually like the HoF - But it's not me owning the card at the end of the day.

Associate
The HoF looks better in person, but yes that "Hall of Fame" is ridicolous.
With both at 575 I do think the HoF offers more though (as far as I can tell it is a binned card, never seen people with less than 70% Asic).

Associate
My first G1 Gaming came with coil whine, so I RMA'd it, got a replacement less than 48 hours later, heard coil whine again - Turns out it was my Corsair PSU causing the noise, not an uncommon problem so I have learnt. Still not sure if OcUK gave me an RMA just to humour me or not :p

The MSI 6G seems to be one of the most common cards, same with the Zotac AMP!, both of which have mostly positive reviews, unless you are Gerard.

I actually like the HoF - But it's not me owning the card at the end of the day.

Yeah I've just been reading about and I'm actually tempting myself into the G1 again hah! Out of all the cards I like I think it looks the best, and great temps too. Bit louder though.

I have a n OCZ ZX Series 850W PSU... so could be in the clear with the coil whine too.

Such tough life decisions :p

The HoF looks better in person, but yes that "Hall of Fame" is ridicolous.
With both at 575 I do think the HoF offers more though (as far as I can tell it is a binned card, never seen people with less than 70% Asic).

I take it as Binned means the opposite of what I think then... hah.
But yeah I do actually like the look of the HoF bar the side. But that's the most obvious bit unfortunately - plus it looks like it sags more compared to others. Does it run silent in idle? Your set up does look real nice in fairness.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes it's silent (the fans do spin, but I keep All my case fans off and still can't hear it. Only one always running is the Noctua's of the cpu).

Honestly just go for the looks, few Mhz mean nothing.

Soldato
The CPU cooler is the shiznit, using a refurb H110 (Dual 140mm fans), only cost £49, At stock the 5930K is around 28C > 30C IDLE / Desktop, and 50C LOAD. Fans on lowest setting (Silent) in BIOS. Overclocked with 1.4V and 4.6Ghz my 5930K doesn't go past 79C. (Fans on High). Tis very fast as well this chip..

Peux659.png

That is some voltage going into that chip though XD, I thought mine was average with a 1.295v at 4.5ghz and 1.328v for 4.7ghz. But I don't know maybe it's better than I thought.

I have my pc on my desk :D, directly to the right of me aswell as 2 monitors in front. Had to mod the desk to fit the case on and hold the weight, it has like 4 extra legs on now lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
That is some voltage going into that chip though XD, I thought mine was average with a 1.295v at 4.5ghz and 1.328v for 4.7ghz. But I don't know maybe it's better than I thought.

I have my pc on my desk :D, directly to the right of me aswell as 2 monitors in front. Had to mod the desk to fit the case on and hold the weight, it has like 4 extra legs on now lol.

Yeah was a quick dirty overclock :cool:, that was my point being 1.4V and max temp on one core was 79C in CB. The H110 does a great job, especially at refurb price.

Once I've had more time with this new setup, I'll tweak everything to find sweet spot. I know 1.4V gives stable 4.6Ghz, now just need to work downwards lol.

Associate
Yeah was a quick dirty overclock :cool:, that was my point being 1.4V and max temp on one core was 79C in CB. The H110 does a great job, especially at refurb price.

Once I've had more time with this new setup, I'll tweak everything to find sweet spot. I know 1.4V gives stable 4.6Ghz, now just need to work downwards lol.

Boom 1.4 is far too high, I would turn that down now, I am running at 1.27v at 4.5 to give you some idea, personally I would not go above 1.3 unless you have some serious custom cooling.

Back
Top Bottom