US: The Handmaid's Tale

Soldato
Wow, I skipped this when it was on the BBC as I thought it was a period drama from the outfit in the screenshots.

Just came across it on Amazon prime. Did not expect what it was actually about at all!

Half way through season 2 and very good. Pretty messed up though. And what makes it even weirder is that things have gotten so crazy in the US the last few years, it makes aspects of the show feel far more possible than I would have considered when the show originally aired.

Great to see Rory Gilmore make a comeback too. Definitely not a feel good sequel to Gilmore Girls though!

Soldato
Finally got round to watching this recently...I'd kinda put it on the back burner as I'd assumed it was set in some medieval fantasy setting, from the limited images I'd seen.

But no, it's actually modern day with a really interesting societal upheaval as the backdrop. Lots of interesting threads about how good-meaning people can sleepwalk into doing terrible things.

Largely good performances and very well paced and written in S1 at least. Glad to finally find some a decent quality show to watch!

Soldato
Just got around to finishing this as it was a bit depressing on my first attempt.

It kept getting better though. Just watched the final episode of Season 3. Jesus, I can't remember the last time I felt that moved by a TV show. I'm an emotional wreck after that. On the edge of my seat the whole time.

Associate
Struggled with season 1 found it very hit & miss, season 2 I thought was brilliant, however I am working my way through season 3 and oh my god this is up there with the worst TV I have ever watched. I genuinely dont know what has happened, I am sick of close up shots of her face/eyes and literally long spells of episodes of nothing happening. I have been told the finale is good and season 4 is better, but my god I have been struggling haha

Associate
Struggled with season 1 found it very hit & miss, season 2 I thought was brilliant, however I am working my way through season 3 and oh my god this is up there with the worst TV I have ever watched. I genuinely dont know what has happened, I am sick of close up shots of her face/eyes and literally long spells of episodes of nothing happening. I have been told the finale is good and season 4 is better, but my god I have been struggling haha
So, knowing what you know now, would you have watched it ?
Asking as its on my watch list along with a hundred other things, trying to figure out what to watch next / invest time in and not waste it. Thanks

Associate
So, knowing what you know now, would you have watched it ?
Asking as its on my watch list along with a hundred other things, trying to figure out what to watch next / invest time in and not waste it. Thanks

Personally no, I persisted with season 1 because the gf enjoyed it, and season 3 was awful but im going to finish it because I have wasted so many hours already

Associate
Personally no, I persisted with season 1 because the gf enjoyed it, and season 3 was awful but im going to finish it because I have wasted so many hours already
Ok, thanks,
I'm like that too, once i've invested lots of time i end up finishing just because i've already sunk time into it - walking dead
will leave it for now and move on to other items on my list, may revisit if i run out of things to watch.

Soldato
I found the overall tone and themes just do dark and dreary to want to watch any more at the end of season one. It's all well done etc but it's very oppressive

Back
Top Bottom