The 'Hiper-Explosive' Club

Associate
They cover it under warranty to be replaced but I have to pay a leg and an arm to get it to them?
This type of thing makes you wander whether it's worth paying any attention to the length of warranty a PSU comes with. By that I mean, what's the point of having a warranty when it costs you a packet to ship a power supply back to the manufacturer, whereas you could just put this money towards the cost of a new PSU? A decent PSU is heavy, so carriage charges aren't cheep.

Associate
My 2 year old Type-R 580 blew a couple of weeks ago, however I found something interesting.

Came home and my pc wouldn't start, tried a different kettle lead and switched it on, PSU switch lit up and immediately went dead. Took the PSU out and put it in an spare pc that I had laying around tried another kettle lead and turn it on. Bang! Sparks and everything! Lets just say I was left sat on my arse totally shocked. I noticed that the first 2 kettle leads had 5amp fuses in them and the third had a 13amp fuse in. I'm guessing the 5amp fuses stopped the Hiper from blowing itself to kingdom come.

I only had the mobo plugged in and luckily it didn't take it with it, but I think ill be running 5amp fuses for now on. Anyone think that's a decent recommendation for anyone running a Hiper?

Personally I shouldn't need it though I've now replaced it with a Corsair HX 520W.

Associate
Hah! can't believe I didn't see this thread sooner.

My Hiper Type R 580W started to fail in February, shortly after some power cuts.
I replaced it and chucked it in the bin before it died and took anything expensive with it.

Soldato
Mines just started to prove not up to the job so I have now replaced it with a Corsair TX 650w for a very attractive price :D Hiper was RMA'd last month though....no explosion.....sad days :(

Caporegime
My 2 year old Type-R 580 blew a couple of weeks ago, however I found something interesting.

Came home and my pc wouldn't start, tried a different kettle lead and switched it on, PSU switch lit up and immediately went dead. Took the PSU out and put it in an spare pc that I had laying around tried another kettle lead and turn it on. Bang! Sparks and everything! Lets just say I was left sat on my arse totally shocked. I noticed that the first 2 kettle leads had 5amp fuses in them and the third had a 13amp fuse in. I'm guessing the 5amp fuses stopped the Hiper from blowing itself to kingdom come.

I only had the mobo plugged in and luckily it didn't take it with it, but I think ill be running 5amp fuses for now on. Anyone think that's a decent recommendation for anyone running a Hiper?

Personally I shouldn't need it though I've now replaced it with a Corsair HX 520W.

Well technically you only need a 3 amp fuse for a 580w psu. I wonder how many people out there ever check the fuses in their kettle leads? You get them with almost everything and I have a drawer full, not just from computers and most people will just grab one when they need one.

Associate
Haha @ this thread, but my Hiper Typr R 580w Modular PSU stopped working a few months back. It would power up my fans, but not anything else. I was luck y it didn't take any components with it. Fair does to Hiper, they replaced it under warranty, but I had already bought a different PSU.

Soldato
Well mines gave up last week. Had a strange high pitch squealing noise coming from it for a while now. It was a 580 Modular jobbie, bought in November 2005 so it's lasted a good couple of years. Don't know if anything else has gone with it yet, just a lot of burnt smell coming from it and no power. Waiting my rma!

Soldato
im declaring mine dead aswell. died last Thursday.

think ill just upgrade instead of sending off, its starting to make a lot of noise, and thats not cool when you want a quite system.
was using the type R 580, (in red)

Last edited:
Associate
Mine started to make high pitched noise,especially when it had been running an hour or so. It was two and a bit years old. RMA'd it and the replacement is being delivered to me on Monday.
Meantime I snapped up a brand new Thermaltake Toughpower 850W for £50,so I wont be using the Hiper! :)

Associate
My two-and-a-half year old 480W Hiper died in Feb - does that count? Started randomly cutting out and took ages to pin down! Luckily they supply a three year warranty, and their RMA process was superb. I now have the 580W model...fingers crossed!

Also big thanks to OcUK: I couldn't find my receipt, so they faxed me a copy! Get in!

Associate
Mine died last week, 2 years 5 months old. Still under warranty though so I'm getting a new one for just the £9 P&P. Not risking it though, bought an OCZ 600W StealthXStream as a replacement and gonna keep the Hiper replacement as a backup.

Associate
Mine died last week, 2 years 5 months old. Still under warranty though so I'm getting a new one for just the £9 P&P. Not risking it though, bought an OCZ 600W StealthXStream as a replacement and gonna keep the Hiper replacement as a backup.
Probably get shot of my replacement via an online auction ;)

Back
Top Bottom