The 'Hiper-Explosive' Club

Associate
Personally, I always try to get used off ebay, and am patient, looking for posts with mis-spelled names, etc, so there are fewer bidders. The current supply vs the demand is incredible...not a good time to buy, but good info from all!

edit: Quick shout out to @PDW and @hanluc and others....sorry that I don't visit enough...miss you guys!

Associate
One other one I stumbled across today, but couldn't find any decent reviews(!) is the Seasonic prime ultra 550, AnandTech reviewed the 650 & up models (as have others) and raved about them, but nowt about the 550w. Although the lowest price I found for it was £115, again rather high. The 650w one (prime or ultra) seems to be silly money, even if it's available.

Just found out when looking at Seasonic's article on streamlining their product names (hallelujah!), that the Prime ultra 550w isn't being renamed but discontinued! So it's £115 or it's not happening :(.

Associate
Anything over £100 is way too much for a 550w psu considering that you can get top quality 650w and 750w psu's in the £97-110 range

Hmm, looking more into this and whilst I found the gold rated EVGA SNG3 650 for £110 (550 for £100) +del, it 'only' has a 7yr warrantee. Vs the Seasonics 10yr for the Focus PX 650's (£130 incl del), or PX 550 (£115 incl del), and they're Platinum rated.
Or the disappearing Seasonic Prime Ultra 550's 12 yrs! (£115 incl. del. also Platinum rated).
But maybe the PX 550s will be cheaper when supply goes back to normal? Well according to Skinflint, earlier this year they were ~£105 (incl. del.), which was their lowest in the past year. Even if they go back to that price, I think the extra £10 for the Ultra 550's 2yr longer warrantee is a fair trade off.
Btw, whilst a Gold rated 550w would save me £16.81/yr, and Platinum 650w £20.93/yr [edit] figures corrected (a 550w Plat slightly more) on electricity bills (vs my old TX650), it seems the latter are worth getting due to my high run times & load (but not the pricey 650w models!).
Unless I've missed some PSUs? (I've checked out EVGA & Superflower, both have shorter warrantees). I think I've covered all options of Plat 550w PSUs with 10+yr warrantees (which their aren't many!).

Good luck, keep me posted. I like camelcamelcamel to give me a better idea on price trends.
I've since found that Skinflint.co.uk also gives historic prices (upto 1yr) and it isn't limited to Amazon.

Last edited:
Associate
750w is rather a too higher output for my rig & they'd be pricey, though I see the P2 650w has a 10yr warrantee and is Platinum rated :), but the only sane price I could find it at is £135 incl delivery (OcUK were doing it for £100+del), N'tech are doing it for £200!! :eek: lmao. Anyway, yea that would've been a viable alternative at it's typical pre-lockdown price of ~£100. I don't know how I missed that one..... (ah I see, I only searched for 550w Platinum PSUs :o). Oh well, too late now as I've ordered the Seasonic Ultra Prime platinum 550 (12 yr warr) for £115 (incl del), which is a slightly better deal for me anyway :). Just wished I'd caught them a month ago, I could've had one for £20 less allegedly! :rolleyes: But I wasn't even looking for a new PSU then.
Thanks for your input :).

Associate
Yikes! Any pics? (of course it's always the 1st thing you think of when something goes 'bang' and bursts into flames! lol :D).

New PSU arrived this morning, fitted it this afternoon, running Rosetta@home (same WUs) power draw from the wall went from 129w to 112w, a nice 17w reduction :cool:.
That's from my 11yr old Corsair TX650 80+basic rating to a Seasonic Prime Ultra 550w platinum. I calculated & hoped for a 15w reduction in wall power draw (that was with 650w platinum ratings), I guess the extra 2w is for getting a 550w platinum PSU ;). Btw, that also indicates that my old PSU's efficiencies are still pretty much spot on at that light load!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom