The 'Hiper-Explosive' Club

Associate
Im now starting to get a bit worried guys. Just spwnt £400 on an upgrade and noticed the rear fan wasn't spinning, tried giving a bit of a flick but no joy. I have just RMA'd it and now getting a bit worried about re-installing it, dont wanna blow something up :eek:

Can't get another PSU at the mo due to the missus watching what i spend so i cant make a mad dash down to OcUK in the morning :(

Associate
sven said:
Im now starting to get a bit worried guys. Just spwnt £400 on an upgrade and noticed the rear fan wasn't spinning, tried giving a bit of a flick but no joy. I have just RMA'd it and now getting a bit worried about re-installing it, dont wanna blow something up :eek:

Can't get another PSU at the mo due to the missus watching what i spend so i cant make a mad dash down to OcUK in the morning :(

cant you test it with the minimal amount of hardware attached when you get it back?

although you do this at your own risk :p

:( i still haven't been added to the dead Hiper list by the OP

Associate
Looks like the hiper-explosive club has a new member.. :( had mine for about 8mths and its just died.. no bangs or flashes.. came home from work turned the PC on, went down stairs to make a coffee, came back up and PC was dead.. did the usual, power on/off ect.. fan did spin very slowly once, then gave up the ghost.. now all I get is a high pitched whining noise.. btw it was a 580 type-r Black.. I dont have another PSU so I have no idea if it has taken anything else along with it.. only just spent £700+ on upgrading my hardware after x-mas, so I will be very, very peeved if it has... ho hum! corsair here I come... :(

Soldato
Chris Beard said:
Did you just disconnect it or was the action more radical than that?

The first one I just took out and RMA'd.

The second I was really alert to the smell, so I quickly pulled the plug out of the mains. Being curious, I put it on an old machine I don't use, and it lasted 1 minute then the PC switched off. I then done the paperclip trick and everytime I "booted" it, it would put out an awful burning smell, and the fans I put on the molexes would spin up for 1 min or so then die down..

Got a Corsair HX 620 W instead, no point in RMA'ing it, I think it's in a box in my loft somewhere....

Associate
rafster said:
The first one I just took out and RMA'd.

The second I was really alert to the smell, so I quickly pulled the plug out of the mains. Being curious, I put it on an old machine I don't use, and it lasted 1 minute then the PC switched off. I then done the paperclip trick and everytime I "booted" it, it would put out an awful burning smell, and the fans I put on the molexes would spin up for 1 min or so then die down..

Got a Corsair HX 620 W instead, no point in RMA'ing it, I think it's in a box in my loft somewhere....

dude these have a 3 year warrenty RMA it and then sell the replacement.

Associate
Can I join. Lost one so far :rolleyes: .

580 modular my components survived.

EDIT: Just to let you know I have 6 friends who have the PSU's and 3 of them have had theres blown.

Last edited:
Associate
quick update.. spoke with hiper yesterday and they refered me back to seller.. couldn't find my reciept so thought bugger it, went and bought a jeantec artic 600w.. the good news was, nothing got fried on the m/b.. so am lucky there, typical I found the reciept this morning.. and it turns out I bought it on 16/04/06.. so was 2 days out of exchange warranty with seller .. jeezz it doesnt rain but pours in my house.. :rolleyes: so its back to hiper for RMA number... on a side note.. I have noticed that my PC is running a little faster than it used to.. so am wondering if the hiper was not up to the job in the first place.. :confused:

Teq

Teq

Associate
Add me to the list :( My 580 modular Hiper died a horrible death after a year... was partially working but only supplying barely enough power to post before shutting off, that was fun :p

Last edited:
Associate
let me know how the RMA process goes for you. I had a nightmare on last friday. Amtrack did not show up, they are totally rubbish, not that this is hipers fault, but it gives them a bad image. After waiting in from 8am till 6pm I ended having to drive 40 miles to mansfield from notts.

This has been a royal pain in the backside for me, and only rubbed salt in the wounds. my final replacement is now on the action site, gonna get a tagen or corsair. I am undecided between a HX520, or the 530 Modular one - Both should be able to cope with a single 1950 Pro.

Which leaves me with one final problem, I m now trying desperately to get my travalling expenses back, postage and losses. For what the 3 failed PSUS costs me I could have purchased a totally new one.

Associate
I'm quite curious how many of those in this club had surge protectors installed at time of failure. Especially those who noticed other hardware was negatively effected - be it death or just smoke :eek:.

I ask not to depreciate your loss - but for consern of my own Hiper Type-R 580W...

Back
Top Bottom