• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The improvement in ray-tracing in the past 2 years

Soldato
Associate
It's clearly going to be in widespread use in games and hardware fairly soon probably two more years. It took a while for tessellation to be widely adopted and the cards have to catch up and learn to walk before they can run.

Associate
Certainly making me think on my next upgrade (won't be for a while though!). Will keep tracking, but with the 2080ti, actually doing fairly well now, and with more improvements likely to come, a 2nd hand 2080ti may be enough to enjoy new games with rtx in the future, if not requiring 4k.
I can't see the 2080TI ever really being enough for RT in games other than the likes of Minecraft or at 1080p. Yes there will be the odd one or two but it's such entry level technology I reckon it will take a few more iterations before we see cards that take a negligible performance hit.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I can't see the 2080TI ever really being enough for RT in games other than the likes of Minecraft or at 1080p. Yes there will be the odd one or two but it's such entry level technology I reckon it will take a few more iterations before we see cards that take a negligible performance hit.

Its good to hear it from an nvidia user, we have a few preachers who describing it providing flawless gameplay at high fps on select games. What I am saying here is those championing it are misleading some buyers if you sugar coat it. The general word on the street is, that as you say, even the top end card in the 2000 series cannot cope with it for the majority of situations. It would be better to also hear back from the 2060 users and see if the RTX experience is enjoyable at that end of the spectrum.

Soldato

I think there'll always be a performance hit, no different to turning up the quality settings anywhere else.

I liked how the 2080ti managed in the opening video.

Soldato
He is a strange creature, think of it like that.

A quick scan tells me that:

OK. So when did nvidia release G-sync?:

Err OK then @melmac what did you say again?:

So quite frankly when I say your missing the point.. your missing the point (again).

:rolleyes:

Both Gsync and Adaptive Sync came from the embedded display port standard. On laptops and APUs it was used as power saving feature. No hardware or standard existed on the desktop GPUs as desktop GPUs did not need those kind of power saving features.

Then Nvidia released Gsync in 2013. It was a solution that did not need any hardware changes on the GPU, just a 1.2 compatible display port. As the hardware needed was built into the module.

AMD only sent their proposal to Vesa for adaptive sync on the 25th of November 2013. It didn't become part of the desktop Display port standard until May 2014 and only as an optional standard. This solution required both a compatible scaler on the monitor and hardware on the GPU.

Adaptive sync monitors weren't released until March 2015. They weren't supposed to be released until end of April but BenQ jumped the gun and other manufacturers followed. This caused problems in the first adaptive sync monitors, they were all suffering from ghosting and needed fixes. In some cases there was a recall.

So, what were YOU saying?

Back to the actual point. The current crop of Ray Traced games are developed using Microsoft's DXR or Vulkan. The future Xbox Ray traced games will be developed using Microsoft's DXR. And those people that have an AMD GPU or a Nvidia GPU that supports Ray Tracing will be able to play those games with RT turned on. At the moment only Nvidia have RT capable cards. It's not locked to Nvidia like Gsync was. Anybody that makes a GPU that supports Microsoft's DXR will be able to play Ray Traced games.

Soldato
When he cannot refute what you're saying all he will do is allegedly claim that you implied or said something that you didn't say. In which you have to stop what you're doing correct him and ask him to verify where you said whatever it is he's trying to claim you're saying.

He replied to me claiming that I said that bf5 now has TAA/2080ti 4k.:rolleyes:

No I didn't I said you were wrong. You said, when talking about DLSS, here I will quote you.

As its original use case in bf5 was to disable it for 2080 TI users.

DLSS worked on the 2080Ti, but it had to be 4K. Sure, it was a stupid mistake by Nvidia. But saying it had to be disabled is wrong.

My only summation is that Nvidia could not implement their version of TAA in bf5. .

And then you said this, which is also wrong. BF V did have TAA.

Soldato
Are people still trying to downplay ray-tracing because it isn't in many games currently? You know, on the first generation of cards to have the capability.

nVidia have brought us plenty of gimmicks over the years but this isn't one of them.

You think the number of games are the real reason some of the people in this thread are downplaying it??? :p

Soldato
So now bf5 didn't disable dlss for the 2080ti. Got it.
Oh wait it's at 4k now. Oh wait...nvidia did something stupid they never corrected in 2 years. Now you don't understand that they use TAA for dlss. Yeah, ok melmac :rolleyes:.
So much back pedaling, contradictions and denial all in the name of "your wrong". Never change melmac, never change. :D

Soldato
Oh wait it's at 4k now. Oh wait...nvidia did something stupid they never corrected in 2 years. Now you don't understand that they use TAA for dlss.:rolleyes:
So much back pedaling, contradictions and denial all in the name of "your wrong". Never change melmac, never change. :D

The explanation given is the 2080ti, at resolutions lower than 4k, it's faster/better to simply power through the calculations than use DLSS.

Soldato
okay will remember you said that !

You don't have to remember I said it. There are a number of games already announced for consoles that will have Ray Tracing. Ratchett and Clank, GTA 7, Pragmata, Cyberpunk 2077, Stray. And it's still months from launch.

Soldato
The explanation given is the 2080ti, at resolutions lower than 4k, it's faster/better to simply power through the calculations than use DLSS.
Oh course it does now, not earlier. Which is telling for dlss as they used it in other games regardless. That's the point I made earlier. The goal posts have been moved.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh wait it's at 4k now. Oh wait...nvidia did something stupid they never corrected in 2 years. Now you don't understand that they use TAA for dlss. Yeah, ok melmac :rolleyes:.

WTF? You are the one who that said DLSS was disabled for the 2080ti completely ignoring that you could use DLSS in 4K on the 2080Ti.

DLSS worked on the 2080Ti in BF V so that means they implemented TAA just fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
Because everyone plays at 4k. /s

You know, one doesnt have to specifically detail every aspect of a game in post in order to post. The correct post you need to ask is, "including 4k?" At which point I respond, "I didn't include 4k because I'm referring to online gaming not single player."

Having said that I still stand by what I said. As it's still disabled for the 2080ti. :D

You have figure out how to communicate better with people.
@melmac

Last edited:
Soldato
Because everyone plays at 4k. /s

You know, one doesnt have to specifically detail every aspect of a game in post in order to post. The correct post you need to ask is, "including 4k?" At which point I respond, "I didn't include 4k because I'm referring to online gaming not single player."

Having said that I still stand by what I said. :D

Basically you are moving the goalposts, the very thing you accused me of a few posts up.

Associate
Its good to hear it from an nvidia user, we have a few preachers who describing it providing flawless gameplay at high fps on select games. What I am saying here is those championing it are misleading some buyers if you sugar coat it. The general word on the street is, that as you say, even the top end card in the 2000 series cannot cope with it for the majority of situations. It would be better to also hear back from the 2060 users and see if the RTX experience is enjoyable at that end of the spectrum.
I'm only a user of whatever gives best bang per £ at the time. No Nvidia loyalty here in fact I'm gagging to have an all AMD rig for the first time ever. We'll see if AMD can get their act together.

Back
Top Bottom