The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Associate
So, hopefully not trying to tempt fate... We look as though we finally about to buy a house. So hopefully my zwifting can become more (much more) consistent.

Not sure whether to look into an apple tv for the garage to run zwift or keep going with my surface pro. Would the apple tv run it better? I can always then use the surface for Netflix.

Soldato
So, hopefully not trying to tempt fate... We look as though we finally about to buy a house. So hopefully my zwifting can become more (much more) consistent.

Not sure whether to look into an apple tv for the garage to run zwift or keep going with my surface pro. Would the apple tv run it better? I can always then use the surface for Netflix.
I wouldn't bother, just get a larger screen you can plug into the surface? Unless going 4K is a requirement as the 4katv is meant to be pretty good I think? I've always been fairly anti-apple though.

I did the 6.6mile WBR weekend - stupid Strava only caught part of the race (but fortunately Zwift Power got the whole race and placed me properly). Lots of hurt despite the short length:

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=40639
You can get the full .fit file from the Zwift activity page, then upload it to Strava for the whole activity. If you want ;)

Soldato
I wouldn't bother, just get a larger screen you can plug into the surface? Unless going 4K is a requirement as the 4katv is meant to be pretty good I think? I've always been fairly anti-apple though.

You can get the full .fit file from the Zwift activity page, then upload it to Strava for the whole activity. If you want ;)

Yeah I did have a looksie, but the .fit file is short - it's 4.3, yet the race was 6.6.

Soldato
Pro contract is in the post? ;) :D

Emptied myself on the WBR 160km 3.0w/kg ride saturday morning. Good to see @One More Solo there too! :D

Stupidly did some keeping and then soon found myself in trouble. I could stick in the pack but it was such a big draft that whenever a gap opened (or I got distracted before a ramp) I found myself unable to hit and hold the 4.5w/kg+ needed to jump back quickly. Most of my chases then being 3.5-4.0w/kg sustained efforts and even those usually needing a ramp/climb and a lucky wheel or two to regain the group. I was cooked by around 45 miles and dropped back. Rolling around recovering solo I decided to push on and clock to 50, then to 62 miles so at least I'd done 100km. Playing around with cadences, efforts and sweetspot seeing how they felt on the Flux with tired legs. Hopefully some good volume to build from as I'm fairly sure that's key to what I'm missing at the moment.

If it makes you feel better I conked out on the final lap and was violently sick afterwards. :p It was a good 10w harder than last week's ride, the group was absolutely nailing it, especially after the leader dropped out.

In better news I'm down to 65kg so shaving 3kg off my Zwift weight. :D

Soldato
Quite an involved reply of mine in the main thread about Zwift racing & points etc.

I can't hold 260w anywhere near as long as you can Roady, I'm pretty sure I've seen you hold 260 Watts for 40 50 minutes or more.
I'm not sure I can anymore! :p :(

My old trainer I knew was over-reading, example I could hold 330W for 10 minutes (admittedly pretty much at my limit!). Rides since on my Flux show 263W & 266W. Although not quite the same extreme racing 'at the limit' levels... Hopefully later in CVR I will have some comparable numbers! ;)

With my outside power (when in some good form!) being closer to 300W for 10 minutes (on a climb from my powermeter which I would trust to be more accurate).

Well, I got on it like I said I would. Did 20 mins. Short and not very sweet but I had to get off to jump into a meeting. It was fine, thought I'd die a bit but I'll keep turning the pedals :p
Good work! How are the legs today? Keep it up, regularity is key buddy! :)

If it makes you feel better I conked out on the final lap and was violently sick afterwards. :p It was a good 10w harder than last week's ride, the group was absolutely nailing it, especially after the leader dropped out.

In better news I'm down to 65kg so shaving 3kg off my Zwift weight. :D
Yeah I'm not quite sure why Marius dropped without giving someone else the Leaders beacon, or even that Tom (doing all the earlier keeping) didn't have the sweeper beacon.

So you're joining the ranks of weight dopers?! That's 10kg less than me! :o

Soldato
No, I actually weigh that according to lab calibrated scales. :D I have myself down as 68kg at the moment. 99% sure the fact I can’t drink currently is making the weight fall off which is both good and bad (I’d sooner have a beer!). They should make people weigh themselves at the post office for Zwift to stop cheating. :D

Soldato
I've got my weight down to 69.9 kilos tonight but I need to see 3 or 4 days of that same weight before I celebrate by dropping my Zwift/Strava weight.

Please let me not wake up tomorrow and have gained a kilo in my sleep! :D

Soldato
Grrr zwift drafting.

If you were behind 3 guys would you ride on the opposite side of the lane in the wind. Would you balls,
so why does zwift do it all the time in small groups!

Lost 10 bike lengths before the little climb on London flat at the start punched up to the top but couldn’t make the first split. The second bunch was only 5 guys so we got caught by group 3 as that had about 25 in it.

Soldato
Grrr zwift drafting.

If you were behind 3 guys would you ride on the opposite side of the lane in the wind. Would you balls,
so why does zwift do it all the time in small groups!

Lost 10 bike lengths before the little climb on London flat at the start punched up to the top but couldn’t make the first split. The second bunch was only 5 guys so we got caught by group 3 as that had about 25 in it.

I've always assumed you should ignore the graphical representation of your position on the road and take it that you are drafting if you're tightly packed/tightly grouped so to speak.

Hmm, maybe that's me jumping to conclusions. Although it'd make no sense if Zwift you rode out of a draft situation, why would it do that?

Soldato
I should probably check/update my weight again. When I signed up in October I input 85kg to be safe, but i'm more like 82-83kg. [188cm tall for anyone thinking i'm fat :p ]

Soldato
I did the Korea cat & mouse handicap today. It’s a lunchtime ride for us in the UK. Done it before it’s a decent workout & fairly honest on the power front.

3-3.5wkg was the advertised watts for C grade & the leaders get pretty shouty if it splits on climbs due to people riding above that.

It was open season on the last lap and I got in a small split off the front of the C grade group. I got DQ for 3.3w from the main results but my ZP ranking has increased... *shrug*

Enjoyable workout regardless.

Soldato
I went on the waiting list for Virtugo beta about a month ago, a while ago I got an invitation to join, taking a while to download... Something else to try and play with over the weekend.

Soldato
No, I actually weigh that according to lab calibrated scales. :D I have myself down as 68kg at the moment. 99% sure the fact I can’t drink currently is making the weight fall off which is both good and bad (I’d sooner have a beer!). They should make people weigh themselves at the post office for Zwift to stop cheating. :D
Post office?! lol

Well ZADA do request real world evidence from riders holding 5w/kg , I think from a registered coach. Not sure if evidence from a Post Office also sufficed (selfie on the scales?) :D

I've always assumed you should ignore the graphical representation of your position on the road and take it that you are drafting if you're tightly packed/tightly grouped so to speak.

Hmm, maybe that's me jumping to conclusions. Although it'd make no sense if Zwift you rode out of a draft situation, why would it do that?
Zwift will randomly throw you onto the outside exposing you to more wind and removing some draft effect. I don't believe you get a 'bow wave' benefit from riders behind you as has been tested and quantified by some aero testing. There was some chatter which kinda hinted it was if you held a constant power more likely to happen, then if you eased you'd generally drop back into draft again.

The same way the cornering seems 'random' about the line taken. I believe the riders weight (size) enters into this and being a larger rider (75kg) I've found if I soft pedal on the lead in, I'll generally take a slingshot line through the corner - slightly middle and then cutting back through the apex. Lighter riders still keeping a tighter line, but 'beating' riders of a similar weight on the exit and carrying more speed... :cool:

I did the Korea cat & mouse handicap today. <snip> 3-3.5wkg was the advertised watts for C grade<snip> I got DQ for 3.3w from the main results
Annoying. I'd dispute this if you where concerned about the result? Most organised ride groups have a facebook page and it's the usual place to contact their admins.

For now there is no point 'hit' from being DQ. You get nullified from race results so can't lose points. Same with CVR. As some of the CVR riders have done - if you ride badly and are low down and afraid of losing points, you pull up before the finish and get 'DNF' as that doesn't carry any loss of points (nor does a DQ). This will get 'fixed' soon as there is quite a lot of backlash from valid riders, placing well in races and then losing points due to riders getting DQ/DNF from the results. Then as of course the ranking points are calculated against the points of those you raced against (only if they're not DQ/DNF) you 'lose' points as the race looks like it hadn't got many attendees... :(

Fun.

At WBR the admin team has started adding time to any DQ riders finish times rather than a DQ, at the moment I think it's an hour. These DQ riders lose points & valid riders gain points from them as they 'finished' and are shown in ZP results. Unfortunately admins don't yet have the tools to reclassify a rider DNF'd by ZP and excluded from results. :rolleyes:

Points is still in it's infancy, so it's all valid stuff and a steep learning curve for those using it for racing (also being very subject to lots of changes!) :cool:

Back
Top Bottom