The IT Crowd

beh

beh

Associate
Echoing what other people have said, the first episode was truly awful. We might be the subject but were blatantly not the target audience from the material used.

And wow, if it really wasn't canned laughter they must have been using nitrous oxide on the audience.

Soldato
OP
ramirez said:
In my missus' school they call the IT department 'middle earth'

:D
At ours they call it 'bag end' not sure why all this relates to lord of the rings though! :p

Hopefully the 3rd ep will be on soon so I can enjoy the delights of Richard Ayoade, the only funny guy on the programme :)

Associate
mortals said:
Well I managed to get the 3rd episode working and it was slightly different to the first 2, altho it still wasn't even a tiny bit funny again.

Good stuff, I've been frustrated that I couldn't download it even though the website said I could!!

I hate badly done sites, grrrr!

jonc

Soldato
Mohinder said:
I don't think priests enter Eurovision very often, but Father Ted's still funny, dude :p
Bah I didn't get that for a second :rolleyes:

I didn't really watch father ted, after watching the first 1 or 2 I decided it wasn't funny. I watched some of the re-runs but I could only stand to watch them for 5-10mins.

But I know loads of people loved father ted, which is why I said the it crowd will never be good as long as people compare the two.
Altho saying that it's not good anyway.

daz

daz

Soldato
What would have been interesting to play on would be "in" jokes, featuring O RLY owls and facts about chuck norris etc. I imagine that due to the time it takes to cut and edit episodes though, that the bandwagon would be long gone by the time the joke appeared on the TV.

Soldato
I've been writing stuff on the c4 forums, which seems to be the only place on the net where people say it's funny.

I just hope there might be some possibility that the writers or even some administration of c4 will see it.

I would think that geeks would be the easiest thing to research online :D

I like the idea of "facts about chuck norris" hehe :D but don't feed them meterial dammit!! :p

daz

daz

Soldato
They wouldn't even have to use them, just make a passing reference to such geeky things and it would immediately give the show a little more depth.

The computer geek on "The Office" is probably one of the best portrayals so far of a geek on a sit-com. :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
daz said:
The computer geek on "The Office" is probably one of the best portrayals so far of a geek on a sit-com. :)

You're not wrong:

“What you doing with my computer?”
“It’s not your computer is it? It’s Wernham Hogg’s.”
“Right. What you doing with Wernham Hogg’s computer?”
“You don’t need to know.”
“No I don’t need to know but could you tell me anyway?”
“I’m installing a firewall.”
“OK what’s that?”
“It protects your computer against script kiddies, data collectors, viruses, worms and trojan horses and it limits your outbound internet communications. Any more questions?”
“Yes. How long will it take?”
“Why? Do you want to do it yourself?”
“No, I can’t do it myself. How long will it take you out of interest?”
“It will take as long as it takes.”
“Right, er, how long did it take last time when-”
“It’s done.”
“Right thank you.”
“Now I’m gonna switch it off, when it comes back on it’ll ask you to hit yes, no or cancel. Hit cancel. Do not hit yes or no.”
“Right.”
“Did you hear what I said?”
“Yep.”
“What did I say?”
“Hit cancel.”
“Good.”
“Thanks.”

It's the classic 'Techy hates user because user knows nothing and doesn't listen to instructions' combined with 'User hates techy because he's condescending and treats user like idiot'. Pretty much sums up the ongoing conflict twixt the species :D

Suspended
Didn't enjoy it much to be honest. Father Ted is one of my all-time favourites, Black Books was alright in places and mostly saved from being poor by the talents of Bill Bailey, The IT Crowd is worse than Black Books by a longshot.

Associate
Having seen the first episode of the Office and not really liking it (except for the stapler in jelly joke :D), I was really inspired by the first 2 I.T. Crowds, my favourite character being the boss.

However I was really disappointed by episode 3 - there were a few places which made me laugh a little, but overall quite poor. Maybe it's due to the absence of the boss.

Ah well, I'm keeping my hopes up for the next one. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom