*** The La Cuisine 'General Discussion' Thread ***

Soldato
that would be an interesting thread - what do you use your microwave for ?
amongst friends use of a combo for baked potatoes is all I'm envious of (sponge puddings and xmas puddings would be nice though)
using a microwave at work for porridge is OK, but they seem to pulse (like some induction cookers) so can be boiling up one second and dormant the next.

edit ; so if you want a microwave thsat does not pulse get an invertor one like @Raymond Lin
Comparing Microwave ovens with and without an inverter

Unlike other microwave ovens, Inverter Technology delivers a seamless stream of cooking power –– even at lower settings –– for precision cooking that preserves the flavor and texture of your favorite foods. Other microwaves mimic lower heat settings by turning the power on and off repeatedly, which can result in overcooked edges and cool spots in the middle. With Inverter, you can poach, braise and even steam more delicate foods, all with the speed and convenience of a microwave. You'll enjoy delicious, healthy cooking results, and all in less time!

In inverter-equipped microwave ovens, the power transformer is replaced by a circuit board, which converts the 60Hz incoming line frequency to a variable rate of 20 KHz to 45 KHz. A relatively small transformer is then required to increase the voltage to the level required by a magnetron. By varying the pulse width, the output power can be linearly controlled for more precise cooking and defrosting levels. The bulky power transformer is replaced by a small, lightweight circuit board; and, because less heat is dissipated, power efficiency is increased. Conventional technology uses just a single power level, which is regulated by switching pulses. In contrast, inverter technology directly controls the power output. This constant soft penetration of microwave energy prevents the common problems of shrinkage, overcooking, and loss of nutrients. The result is even food temperature and textures throughout

Last edited:
Caporegime
that would be an interesting thread - what do you use your microwave for ?
amongst friends use of a combo for baked potatoes is all I'm envious of (sponge puddings and xmas puddings would be nice though)
using a microwave at work for porridge is OK, but they seem to pulse (like some induction cookers) so can be boiling up one second and dormant the next.

edit ; so if you want a microwave thsat does not pulse get an invertor one like @Raymond Lin

TBH, I wasn't sure what exactly what an inverter is!

My sister is coming to stay for a few days and she needed a microwave to sterilise baby bottles so I took it as an excuse to get some new toys. But as I am buying a microwave, I'd thought i get a good one instead of the basic.

The most important criteria was to be able to fit my dinner plates in, which are kind of square so will struggle in most microwaves. That was it really and this was a relatively good price too.

Associate
Impressive! Thanks for the comments guys. Now I want a full Wintersmith ice chest. :D :D
Seriouseats seemed impressed with it and it would be awesome to have clear ice.. not sure how much I use it for £80 though. Going to have look at some of the alternatives too.
Youtube tipsybartender clear ice shows easy way to make your own and the only fancy thing you need is a container to put some water in, Would link the video but i cant remember if it has swearing.

Soldato
Blender upgrade. Got a Magimix Le Blender with the mill attachment. Lovely bit of kit, although the glass jug weighs a ton, it's built to last.

Made peanut butter yesterday. Plain unsalted peanuts, 10-15 roast in the oven, cool a bit, then blend. Zero other ingredients, tastes amazing :)

Soldato
I fancy something from the Indian but I don’t fancy hot curry because of the weather.

What’s a good sort of thing to order in this weather? Tandoori chicken with salad?

What is your criteria for food in this weather. Does it need to be cold food? Not overly filling? I haven't changed a thing because of the weather.

Soldato
meanwhile in the millenial ecosystem - they they were discussing their food fads this morning

Dairy UK and AHDB have renewed their spoof public service announcement marketing campaign for a second year following a positive response from millennials
“We also want to remind people of the qualities of hidden dairy, for example in pizza and pasta toppings,” she said, while also pointing out Dairy UK was working on a separate initiative to target even younger generation Z consumers, with more details to be unveiled later this year.
“Our decision to move away from traditional media has shown that understanding your target audience and tailoring your messages accordingly is the best way to communicate your message successfully,” she said. “It’s fantastic to see so many engage with and enjoy our campaign and remember what it is that they love about dairy.”

I guess lack of 'home economics' / nutritional education, means some, just adopt what their most attractive blogger suggests is good for them ..
without knowing that bone density/vitaminD could be important.

Further re-enforces that social media/Zuck (and OC?) are responsible for election rigging and dietary decisions;
which, of the two, has bigger social/economic impact ?

Soldato
Peri Peri Super noodles + baked beans = game changer! I had half a tin of branstons baked beans in the fridge and decided to dump them in my super noodles so they didn't go to waste and expected it to be bad, but it was amazing. It actually felt like i'd eaten something as well, rather than just carbs and msg.

Anyone got any similar mish mash snacks that they have discovered by mixing things together that turned out to work well?

Soldato
OP
Peri Peri Super noodles + baked beans = game changer! I had half a tin of branstons baked beans in the fridge and decided to dump them in my super noodles so they didn't go to waste and expected it to be bad, but it was amazing. It actually felt like i'd eaten something as well, rather than just carbs and msg.

Anyone got any similar mish mash snacks that they have discovered by mixing things together that turned out to work well?

I don't know why but I love it when people do stuff like this lol. It never crosses my mind to mix foods and see what happens. My friend is the same, he will go in his fridge and just chuck random stuff together and see what happens.

There was a post on here that I've been meaning to give a go which was bread layered with cheese, sliced hotdogs, baked beans and then baked in the oven.

Associate
There was a post on here that I've been meaning to give a go which was bread layered with cheese, sliced hotdogs, baked beans and then baked in the oven.

I might have to give that a go!

Not really a mish-mash, but I've been getting into having beans and sacristy bread at work. Beans emulsified with butter and chilli flakes added. Then dip the bread like it's soup.

Soldato
(off the tv) anyone seen these before, interesting solution/secret ?

44452477535_0cb1a20cb7_o_d.jpg

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Picked up some Short Ribs from Waitrose as they were on offer again today. Unsure what to do with them though as of yet... Always open to ideas :D

Soldato
OP
Picked up some Short Ribs from Waitrose as they were on offer again today. Unsure what to do with them though as of yet... Always open to ideas :D

I bought some a little while ago with the intention of smoking them low and slow however I feel like I missed that window.

The above sounds like a great idea. Maybe throw a bit of bacon, onion and garlic in when frying them off then low and slow in the oven for a couple of hours, make a nice gravy out of the juices.

Soldato
Nice, that is quite the cut!

We are sorting out a Christmas dinner party between friends, there is about 12-15 of us but the issue is that there is a just a single combo oven (large oven + grill/oven). I am one of the volunteer cooks for the day and have decided that i will take one for the team and leave the oven mainly to the two other cooks. I'm going to do a maple glazed, cider and orange Ham and a Brisket on the BBQ outside. The ham i will cheat and and replace the simmering by smashing it in the electric pressure cooker for 30 mins and finishing the glaze in the oven for 20 mins.

Allows me to take it easy and drink with everyone rather than get tangled in the kitchens stress :D

Back
Top Bottom