*** The La Cuisine 'General Discussion' Thread ***

Man of Honour
so getting rid of plastic on multi-pacs in tescos to 'save' 350 tonnes of plastic

- how much will the prices go up ie there are a reduced number of multi deals.
- how much longer will it take to scan stuff (which offsets the plastics gain ie you need more tills)
- beer ?

They're being replaced by multi-buy deals so you just pick up 4 cans and get them for the same price of a multipack.

Most likely they'll let you scan the one can and enter how many you have to speed it up. They can already do this on manned tills.

Soldato
Didn't know about this until farming today r4 this morning ...

Potatoes have pesticide sprayed on to prevent sprouting whilst in storage .. which have now been banned

https://www.nfuonline.com/cross-sec...rotection/chlorpropham-cipc-banned-by-the-eu/
The EU published the regulation this week that requires member states to withdraw authorisations for CIPC-based products by 8 January 2020 and ensure all existing stocks are used up by 8 October 2020.

usually eat poatoes steamed with skins on, & usually leave skin on, even for mash,
have always scrubbed them, but, nonetheless.

apparently they're considering nitrogen or some other gas as a retarder.

Soldato
Basic free range supermarket eggs all the same ?

Can usually purchase eggs, from nearish farm, but, everybodies exercising, so none available -

Last night, made spanish omelettes (whisking egg whites and then mix in) with Aldi free range ~90p/6 , taste/texture/airation were significantly inferior

Are all the supermarket basics the same ? (usually do use them for baking)

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Different breeds of chicken, different feed mixes etc. I'm a fan of the Burford browns you can get in a few supermarkets, lovely yolks.
That they are! The pack I had last week had some double yolks too! The week before I just had some normal Sainsbury's Large eggs (pack of 6) and every single one was double yolked. Definitely got my money's worth :D

Soldato
Apparently local farm chickens are off laying .... this seems to be a seasonal thing in hotter weather - no -

and they also can't get any new chickens ... because everyones now become a chicken farmer in their back garden,
... but maybe they'll all go the way of the coronation street plot

Soldato
Has anyone purchased from this web-site ? is it a legit https://thegrocery.shop/

I wanted to purchase some irish brands, hence the site grabbed my attention, but
- the telephone # doesn't seem valid
- no obvious T&C's
- not on trustpilot (I would never normally use the site, so maybe many, aren't there)
- waiting to see if they respond to an email

49995461377_af45caf934_c_d.jpg

Soldato
Irish delicacy arrived, below - one sauce to rule them all ?

just realised why Bake-off the professionals is so good
.... because teams of people are competing, so, a comaraderie that doesn't exist in all greg wallace stuff, or gbbo (original series - pre diversity)

50037606318_50edf274f0_c_d.jpg

Caporegime
Does anyone else who uses instant gravy match the gravy to the meat? My family just lump beef gravy on everything, but I prefer matching it to the meat, except for bangers and mash which is always onion gravy.

I just think it enhances the flavour of the meat.

Soldato
Does anyone else who uses instant gravy match the gravy to the meat? My family just lump beef gravy on everything, but I prefer matching it to the meat, except for bangers and mash which is always onion gravy.

Always, unless I run out and then just put a bit of everything in :p

Soldato

We've always used the meat juices to make the gravy. No idea how you think it enhances the flavour, as to me, it's more of an insult to the meat and to the taste buds.

Soldato
I ordered a few things from Pesky Fish yesterday, and arrived today and good cold packaging. 1kg of mussels steamed in cider and bacon were amazing, but were more of a starter size for two people. i ended up just letting my wife eat as many as she wanted and I dripped heavily buttered bread in the sauce at the end... aahh.

Their malt whisky hot smoked salmon is amazing, unbelievable.

Soldato
Roasted a lovely topside on the rotisserie at the weekend to give my new MEATER+ wireless thermometer a run out. Had the butcher tie extra fat onto each side which rendered beautifully, used the dripping for the roasties :D

Must say the MEATER+ did not disappoint, cooked medium-well to perfection (would have preferred medium myself but had family coming)

lC5eUhql.jpg
i88JMZAl.jpg
RX8egeJl.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
that's impressive for (seems) bluetooth transmitter to work ,wonder what max temp specs are for the Si in solar probes
The internal sensor can handle up to 212 degrees F (100 degrees C) and the external one up to 527 degrees F (275 degrees C). A klaxon will sound on the accompanying smartphone app if temperatures exceed those ranges, endangering to thermometer

Soldato
that's impressive for (seems) bluetooth transmitter to work ,wonder what max temp specs are for the Si in solar probes
Agree, I suspect the BT components are hidden towards the internal sensor where the heat is more bearable. Can see me using it in the oven too, i'm planning on using it for Christmas dinner!

Back
Top Bottom