The last game you completed, and rating.

Associate
Finished half life 1, very good game but dated graphics, and xcom 2 which was brilliant but difficult, will probably replay it a gain at some point.

Permabanned
Just completed Shadow Complex remastered, I used a 100% walkthrough as a guide because I wanted to get 100% of the items and ended up with everything except 1 grenade pack which was a gutter as I found that I was unable to reach the one I missed due to it being on the other side of the final boss battle :(

It's a good game though so I'll play it again sometime.

8/10

Associate
Mass Effect. 9/10

Incredible story and setting. Good characters, but a little on the short side for an RPG, so character developments and relationships don't get fleshed out much. The gameplay is also very good and some of the effects during battle are stunning.

I really can't stress how good the Sci-Fi setting is and how well Bioware captured the feeling of it all. Overall this game is epic and has some awesome moments. Bring on the next one.

Soldato
Primordia - 7/10

Really liked it - I loved the art style and interactions between Horatio and Crispin but the puzzles got quite obscure later on and I wasted a lot of time trying to figure some of them out. Annoyingly I got really stuck and had to resort to a guide a few times. :(

Associate
heavy rain on ps4!

great game, i really like games like this and didnt play it until now due to not being on pc, great story, finished it in 2 sittings, allthough i got the worst possible ending, i did some research and was impressed with all the possible endings and changable or missable scenes.

9/10

Caporegime
Grim Fandango: Remastered - 0/5

Loved the original but never finished it because of a game breaking bug. This looks practically the same and has many of the same bugs so I've no idea why they called it a remaster when it's essentially just a re-release of the original. Not going to give it a score because the bugs and endlessly reloading previous saves wound me up to the point I couldn't wait for it to be over by the end.

Caporegime
Life is Strange - 4/5

Started this immediately after finishing Grim Fandango on Thursday and played through most of it yesterday and finished it this morning. Thought it was a bit slow to get going but by the end of chapter 1 and all the way through to midway through chapter 5 I was hooked. The ending felt a bit rushed but it was otherwise a fantastic game with a great story :)

Soldato
GTA V - 9/10

Finally got around to playing it and it's one of the more enjoyable games I've played in recent years. Good story, good characters, largely interesting missions... no interest in the side stuff or GTA Online though.

Caporegime
Arsenal Overhaul mod for Stalker Clear Sky.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/arsenal-overhaul-clear-sky/downloads/arsenal-overhaul-clear-sky-121

+ very noticeable reduction in loading times / screens
+ no menu screen music (makes a change if nothing else)
+ a huge number of new weapons are available (as well a few more suits of armour)
+ weapon model design is very, very good
+ reloading animations
+ unlike with quite a number of mods, here you can trade items with most people you encounter
+ no grenade spam from enemies
+ big plus here for extremely well balanced respawning of items / enemies / npc's (a big gripe of mine, especially in CS)
+ very stable mod, though one of my quick saves became corrupted at one point, which nearly resulted in me quitting (note: hard saves for stability!)

- free play at the end was a bit barren / boring, but then it usually is after the first time or so
- could have done with at least one new map to explore / something of that nature

Most enjoyable CS mod I've played to date, 9.5/10.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dishonored

s8Yb.jpg

Well, so, technically I beat the main game plus Knife of Dunwall DLC a year ago, but I only recently realized The Brigmore Witches DLC was not only a continuation of Knife of Dunwall, but just as high quality a piece of expansion content. And I'm now *officially* done with the game after beating it today!

Honestly, it's one of the best games of last generation. Or at least one of the best new IP's of last gen. It is much like a Deux Ex/Thief-type game except I really think the gameplay is not just way better, but it matches and probably beats Deus Ex:Human Revolution in terms of story and world-building. This kind of blew me away because I was expecting a light and shallow stealth/action FPS, but this game has a whole lot of depth both mechanically and with its narrative.

Presentation levels are really fantastic. It feels like a top flight AAA game and I think the painterly art style looked great when it came out and has also aged well, still looking good today. It certainly helps that I can play it at a rock solid 60fps at 4k with a mere GTX970(honestly), but it still looked great at 1080p, too. The voice acting is a bit 'gruff', but it is not grating at all(unlike Adam Jensen....) and fits the tone of the game perfectly, while also being very competent and believable. The dialogue itself is far from your average cliche'd banter, too. Sound design is really good, with all your magic and weapons and whatnot all with quality, satisfying sound feedback.

Traversal and just getting around is a huge part of the game, especially if you're playing stealthy. Thankfully, this is not only a ton of fun with the mechanics you have, but the level design is *magnificent* for facilitating it. There's always fun and interesting ways to tackle navigation, often with multiple, viable routes to take. Verticality is used to great effect and you're rewarded well for looking up and around to see what kind of options you have available to you. There's also loads of worthwhile hidden loot to find for those who are thorough. Cant say it enough - this aspect of the game is absolute top-tier. As in, I'm struggling to think of a single game that I would easily put above it in terms of level design.

The mission design is pretty snazzy, too. You're typically given a goal of infiltration or assassination or whatever and just thrown into a level where you are basically then free to figure things out on your own. There are usually optional tasks and goals if you want to go out of your way to find them, which are almost always worth doing. Some of the missions are quite fun and you're mostly given different ways in which you can accomplish your goal, including offering up different outcomes based on choices you make.

I think the combat itself is not one of the strongest aspects of the game, but also not bad by any means. The sword-fighting can be a bit awkward at times, but the AI is competent and just hacking and slashing like mad is a bad way to do things. Where it gets better is mixing up your magic/skills and ranged weapons and everything. You can go devastating guns and explosions-style or sneaky, assassin-style(or any mix). Either way, it's a lot of fun to make your plans for attack. Getting caught while being sneaky also leads to some tense moments where you can get creative while thinking on your feet.

Progression system feels satisfying and keeps you going for most of the game, which is something I always value in a game. Exploring the environments definitely pays off here.

The whole consequence system could be done better. The game clearly gives you tons of fun tools to go around killing enemies and whatnot, but it kind of punishes you for it by making things more difficult as your playthrough goes on. Sneaking around is still fun, but the tolerances for what constitutes 'high chaos'(which is what causes the game to consider you a 'bad person' kind of) is very low and so unless you want to save scum a lot, it's hard to do a low chaos playthrough.

Anyways, all in all, I'm enamored with the game. I'll give it a 9.5/10 as most of my criticisms are really largely nitpicks. I find it hard to say any aspect of the game is anything less than 'good', and mostly landing in the 'great' arena.

Dishonored 2 is my most hyped game this Fall/Winter, easily.

Soldato
I agree completely with all that. It is in my top 5 games ever. I don't think it does anything that doesn't work almost perfectly. I think the real strength of the game is how it allows you to decide how deep you want to get in to it. You could easily run through killing everything, talking to nobody, not listening to conversations etc, but if you do you get so much more out of it. And as for combat, I always play complete stealth in these types of games bit I actually found myself wanting to be seen so I could do some of the cool sword fighting!

I also think the story in it is very underrated. It is nothing groundbreaking, but it is exactly what it needs to be and there is depth there if you look hard enough.

Associate
GTA V (single player)
9.5/10

+ Huge, varied sandbox environment, even having played over 200 hours you can easily find something of interest every session
+ Superb graphics, huge improvements made over original console version particularly implementation of first person view, in general excellent PC port
+ Amazing range of vehicles, all with unique handling, superb range of air vehicles
+ In game internet and in particular stock market is a great addition, much better than the GTA IV internet
+ Storyline for the most part very good, long and varied campaign

- Very stale humour, talk radio stations and DJ commentary (with the exception of Bless Your Heart which is hilarious), Rockstar really needs to ditch the ironic self-referencing and pompous social commentary and go back to the more amusing, crass humour of GTA III and Vice City - GTA IV and V are both just a bit up their own arse unfortunately. Finally getting rid of Lazlow would be a good start.
- Would have benefited from more substantial side quests, particularly in relation to property purchases
- Can't see why so many DLC vehicles have to be online only

Back
Top Bottom