The last game you completed, and rating.

Man of Honour
Fallout 4 - Absolutely loved this game a couple of years ago, turned sanctuary into a fortress. Had to stop playing in the end as the settlement was too big and it kept glitching. I don't think there was a set of Power Armour I didn't own.

Fallout 4 was the reason why I upgraded every part of my PC apart from the sound card and the drives. I have it modded for construction. Height limit removed, thousands of extra building items and, most importantly of all, the Place Everywhere mod. Absolute game-changer, that mod. All in all, I had dozens of building-related mods installed. I spent many hours scavving because I decided that I would acquire everything I needed for the building ingame. No free building, no resource-increasing mods, no console commands to summon resources. Also, no framerate :) It dropped under 10 fps in the settlement I was working on at the time. I think 4fps was the lowest I saw. Somewhere around that. That wasn't even Sanctuary, which would have been the biggest settlement. I turned that into a walled city, but it was the first settlement I worked on and it wasn't very complex. It was Starlight that prompted the upgrade. I'd turned it into a trading hub city, with a theatre, a library, a hospital, a tavern, an inn, a rooftop restaurant (called, unsurprisingly, Starlight), a laundrette (fully functional - one mod I installed created working washing machines) and, the main framerate tank, a block of flats. 36 sizeable flats, each one fully furnished and individually decorated. Do It Yourshelf and Creative Clutter mods are the dog's danglies for decorating Fallout 4 settlements.

I never did finish Starlight. I kept switching between my settlements (~30, IIRC) roleplaying as a benevolent but slightly unhinged dictator. So I'd improve the living standards for all my devoted followers settlers. Plus, of course, work on the massive museum and monument to myself in Sanctuary. In between slaughtering hordes of gunners to acquire enough combat armour and rifles to equip every one of my settlers and have enough spares to equip an army. Maybe more than slightly unhinged.

The last game I completed was Dead State Reanimated, which I'd give a solid 8/10. Looks very dated. Badly optimised. Buggy enough to have CTDs. Combat is very slow if there are more than a few enemies in the area as the game slowly churns through a turn for every one of them, including seconds of animation for enemies not even within view. But a very good game nonetheless.

Associate
Have recently finished the Mafia (definitive) collection.

Mafia - the updated graphics are impressive as are the other improvements. Really enjoyed this.
Mafia 2 - Feels a little dated now with regard to graphics but gameplay still good.
Mafia 3 - Took a while for me to get into this but when I did I really enjoyed it though am still not sure about the ending.

Overall, if I was to recommend just one of the Mafia games it would have to be the revised and updated first one. Great story and atmosphere.

Soldato
Days Gone - 9/10

Brilliant game overall and one which I'm now replaying in New Game+ mode.

The game consists of three stages essentially and a lot of llama reviewers got caught up in the first stage where the game is very Last of Us like, requiring a ton of stealth because you are so weak. In the 2nd and 3rd stages as the map opens up the gameplay goes in a different direction and is better for it. I had a blast playing through it and aside from a good few gameplay quirks here and there, my first run was completely bug free. Wish Sony still agree on a follow up.

Associate
Days Gone - 8/10

Awesome game, felt the ending was a bit underwhelming. I was hoping for more explanations but maybe the developers left room for a potential sequel.

Associate
Monster Hunter Stories 2
7/10

Affable characters, fun and tactical but not too tactical combat are plusses but a rushed and shallow plot and poor post story content put a little of a downer on it. That said, MH game plots are almost always just "monsters are going crazy because of some new Elder Dragon, find it and beat the snot out of it" so it's par for the course
I've yet to get my £1 per hour out of it since I paid full price, but 40ish hours so far is pretty good with plenty still left to collect. Not to mention it did what few games do for me anymore which is make me want to keep playing and playing

ne0

ne0

Associate
Shadow Warrior 2

Bought on a whim, what a game! Basically a cross between Doom, Borderlands, Cyberpunk and Serious Sam!

One of the funniest games I've ever played (Helps if you have a stupid sense of humour).

Fast paced, no nonsense FPS action with some awesome weapons and great humour. Has an old school sort of vibe running through it but the graphics are really impressive, especially with HDR (apparently it was the first HDR game on pc which is pretty cool).

If you love the aforementioned games and fancy some mindless, wise-cracking dumb shooting fun then highly recommended.

8.5/10

Soldato
I just completed Fallout New Vegas and its 4 DLCs.

Core gameplay look of explore, shoot, loot remains fun. The locations were varied and interesting and the characters interesting. I just wish I could interact with them more.

After about 30h into my save the crashes started and it ended up being every 30 minutes or so. The VATS system would also sometimes freeze after I have selected where to shoot leaving the bad guys to attack me whilst I stand there, and I can't exit out of VATS. The movement and animations are all dated.

I liked how the DLCs linked into the overarching plot and existing characters in the series. Like Veronica's girlfriend she mentions is the mute women in the Dead Money DLC, who tells a story of getting trapped in the Big Empty (from the Old World Blues DLC) by the old Brotherhood of Steel leader and you can find their camps and you meet the old BoS leader in another DLC.... it's all linked into an interesting narrative web, if you put the time in to look for it.

Anyway 7/10 mainly due to age related annoyances.

Associate
Dark Souls III plus all the DLC.......one of the best games I have ever played. I found it a hard game at first almost quit within a few hours of play. However persevered with it and "got good".

Definitely in my Top 10 games of all time 10/10!!!

Previous to DS3 I completed Death Stranding, which was a very interesting game with a fantastic story. Wasn't too sure about it at first even though I love the Metal Gear Solid games, but it grew on me and got better as your progressed through the story. Ended up really enjoying it, felt like an interactive movie. A solid 8.5/10

Now playing Sekiro :) so far loving it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Continuing the above theme...

Sekiro
One of the best games I can remember playing. Different to the Souls games in many ways, but every bit as good. Possibly even better, it's a hard judegment to make.

Almost certainly in my top five PC games.

I will be plyaing through NG+ cycles at some point in the future.

10/10

Soldato
Continuing the above theme...

Sekiro
One of the best games I can remember playing. Different to the Souls games in many ways, but every bit as good. Possibly even better, it's a hard judegment to make.

Almost certainly in my top five PC games.

I will be plyaing through NG+ cycles at some point in the future.

10/10

You'll have to rate it 11/10 after NG+ cycles:D

BTW, I went back to DSIII, maybe it'll grab me this time:p

Soldato
You'll have to rate it 11/10 after NG+ cycles:D

BTW, I went back to DSIII, maybe it'll grab me this time:p

Ha, I didn't leave myself anyhere to go with that, did I?

spinaltap.jpg

:D

As for getting into DS3 - maybe it will just click this time. I hope it will since it's always pleasing to read other people enjoying the games as well, but it's hard to judge how dated the games are now.

I personally think the best way is to play the first one first. The atmosphere it builds, the pervading sense of hopelessnes and the hostility of the world, and the way the world interlinks were key elements of what drew me in, and the second and third games don't do that as well, even if they tidied up some gameplay elements. I'd already bought into the world and style and wanted more by the time III came along. If I'd played that one cold, though? I don't if I'd have given it the time to get into it, either.

Soldato
As for getting into DS3 - maybe it will just click this time. I hope it will since it's always pleasing to read other people enjoying the games as well, but it's hard to judge how dated the games are now.

I personally think the best way is to play the first one first. The atmosphere it builds, the pervading sense of hopelessnes and the hostility of the world, and the way the world interlinks were key elements of what drew me in, and the second and third games don't do that as well, even if they tidied up some gameplay elements. I'd already bought into the world and style and wanted more by the time III came along. If I'd played that one cold, though? I don't if I'd have given it the time to get into it, either.

Yeah, it might be because I started with Bloodborne and then did Sekiro. I haven't played DS1&2.

TBH, I find DSIII fine mechanically and visually, it doesn't feel terribly dated but BB felt more ferocious and oppressive and Sekiro was also a great thrill. I think I shot myself in the foot by playing those first and DS feels weird now:p

Soldato
Ori Will of the Whisps 10/10

One of, if not the best game I’ve played. An absolute masterpiece, visually, game design, breathtaking audio and soundtrack, a lovely story. I might have gotten something in my eye a couple of times. Very challenging and not usually my type of game, but it was worth persevering. Some of the chase segments were frustrating, but wow, what a game.
I'll second this, usually not my type of game, but was blown away by it. Absolutely stunning!!

Rob

Soldato
Yeah, it might be because I started with Bloodborne and then did Sekiro. I haven't played DS1&2.

TBH, I find DSIII fine mechanically and visually, it doesn't feel terribly dated but BB felt more ferocious and oppressive and Sekiro was also a great thrill. I think I shot myself in the foot by playing those first and DS feels weird now:p

Yeah, III is actually the fastest of the trilogy as well. You can make the game feel a bit faster if you go for a dex build and wear lighter armour. One of the strengths of the series is that different weapons actually feel very different to wield. Twinblades and curved swords are significantly faster than larger weapons, and enable a different playstyle. The enemies still aren't as fast, though, of course.

Or you could try something different and go for a sorcery build (I tried one in DS1 and it was okay, but not as exciting as playing with melee weapons, but maybe the change would be interesting?).

Soldato
Yeah, III is actually the fastest of the trilogy as well. You can make the game feel a bit faster if you go for a dex build and wear lighter armour. One of the strengths of the series is that different weapons actually feel very different to wield. Twinblades and curved swords are significantly faster than larger weapons, and enable a different playstyle. The enemies still aren't as fast, though, of course.

Or you could try something different and go for a sorcery build (I tried one in DS1 and it was okay, but not as exciting as playing with melee weapons, but maybe the change would be interesting?).

I went for knight, obviously:D Done High Wall of Lothric and Vordt and it's kinda clicking but I can't help bit think how much better Central Yharnam was as a starting area.

I'll see how I get on, don't want to derail this thread any further:p

Back
Top Bottom