The last game you completed, and rating.

Permabanned
Firewatch. Was browsing Total Biscuit's old reviews and remember this from some time ago. Not normally a huge fan of the 'walking simulator' type experience but I fancied something different from what I normally play and gave this a go. Short but perfectly executed and a great story. Loved the experience. 8/10

Associate
^^^^^Loved the ending of Bioshock..still remember it.

Just finished AC Valhalla..felt more like I was playing The Witcher. In any case..It was waaay too long! Months way too long with a backlog of other games building up. (Sales on Epic etc don't help!).

Associate
Days Gone 8/10. Really enjoyed this after finding it a little slow to get going. After the first 10 or so hours though it gets really good and has a good story as well.

Soldato
Firewatch. Was browsing Total Biscuit's old reviews and remember this from some time ago. Not normally a huge fan of the 'walking simulator' type experience but I fancied something different from what I normally play and gave this a go. Short but perfectly executed and a great story. Loved the experience. 8/10

One of my favorite recent(ish) games. The story was brilliant and definitely touching. I'd love something similar to it but it seems out there on it's own.

M.

Soldato
Prey (The new one) 8/10

I was surprised how good this was. Very unique and original like the first Prey but in a completely different way.

The game was a good length, not overly long and good pacing with optional sidequests. I like the way they have done the map/world, again very original. Graphics are pretty good but i added a few Reshade filters to make it pop.

Since inishing it ive been a bit stuck on what to play next.

Soldato
Prey (The new one) 8/10

I was surprised how good this was. Very unique and original like the first Prey but in a completely different way.

The game was a good length, not overly long and good pacing with optional sidequests. I like the way they have done the map/world, again very original. Graphics are pretty good but i added a few Reshade filters to make it pop.

Since inishing it ive been a bit stuck on what to play next.

Dishonored 1&2, if you haven't?

Prey was superb, one of the better games I've played probably.

Associate
Dishonored 1&2, if you haven't?

Prey was superb, one of the better games I've played probably.
Never got around to trying out the 2nd but I liked the first one when it came out. Been meaning to pick up the 2nd when it drops in price during sales but keep forgetting.

Prey is a great game as well and most often cheap to get yet quite underrated.
The common theme in both is you can progress in various different ways and with different power ups etc. Which can make each playthrough unique.

Soldato
The common theme in both is you can progress in various different ways and with different power ups etc. Which can make each playthrough unique.

Absolutely agree, one of their biggest strengths along with stellar level design and lots of optional areas with interesting lore to uncover.

Dishonored 2 really shines in these areas as well. The levels are big, intricately designed and full of often well hidden optional stuff that enriches the experience. I think you'd enjoy it tremendously.

Associate
Absolutely agree, one of their biggest strengths along with stellar level design and lots of optional areas with interesting lore to uncover.

Dishonored 2 really shines in these areas as well. The levels are big, intricately designed and full of often well hidden optional stuff that enriches the experience. I think you'd enjoy it tremendously.

Will deffo pick it up. Have you tried the Prey Mooncrash DLC ? Also offers a unique gameplay using 5 characters but I did find that I was running out of patience towards the end to just finish the story and find out the ending.

Soldato
Will deffo pick it up. Have you tried the Prey Mooncrash DLC ? Also offers a unique gameplay using 5 characters but I did find that I was running out of patience towards the end to just finish the story and find out the ending.

No, I didn't get Mooncrash in the end. Seemed like great content but I was already done with the main game, finding all crew members etc. and also felt the rogue-like nature of the DLC wasn't for me. Had my fill with the base game:p

ne0

ne0

Associate
Assassin's Creed Valhalla.

My word....this game was torture. Yes, I forced myself through the whole thing as I kept uninstalling it through boredom and then for some reason reinstalling it after a break.

Tons of bugs. Sub par graphics. Easy, easy combat even with all the difficulties cranked up including the new enemy levelling. Ridiculously repetitive missions. Stealth is completely POINTLESS in a game about Assassin's? The heck?

I did kind of enjoy some aspects of it like some of the story arcs were kind of ok but overall a big fat MEH.

5/10

Soldato
Assassin's Creed Valhalla.

My word....this game was torture. Yes, I forced myself through the whole thing as I kept uninstalling it through boredom and then for some reason reinstalling it after a break.

Tons of bugs. Sub par graphics. Easy, easy combat even with all the difficulties cranked up including the new enemy levelling. Ridiculously repetitive missions. Stealth is completely POINTLESS in a game about Assassin's? The heck?

I did kind of enjoy some aspects of it like some of the story arcs were kind of ok but overall a big fat MEH.

5/10

Man, I totally agree, this series needs a MASSIVE overhaul. I loved Origins, it felt fresh and had a beautiful map and atmosphere but I couldn't bear the sequels.

Valhalla has a few great vistas and interesting arcs but it gets stale soooo quickly.... I couldn't bring myself to finish it honestly. It's way longer than it should be and after a while starts resembling the cookie-cutter nature of Odyssey. The combat is rubbish, I went back to Origins and it feels less clunky and hits have more impact with better animated finishers.

Caporegime
Doom 2: the Way id Did (megawad).

+ some very good level design; I can see why its regarded as one of the best megawads available
+ has to say something about the overall design when I can play through 30 levels without any additional mini-mods like Beautiful Doom or anything else for that matter
+ addictive

- usual end level that I never liked in Doom: where you have to fire rockets into an exposed segment of the demonic brain (that's when I turn on God mode)

Man of Honour
Unreal Tournament 3 Black edition 10/20

I played this back in 2009 (going by the date on my savegame) but stopped for some reason during Act2, picked it up again over the past week:

+Looks reasonable considering its age, decent gore etc
+Runs well 150-450fps maxed out
+Decent range of weapons albeit not that innovative
+Deathmatch is good fun, some of the CTF not bad
+Cutscenes are quite well designed from a visual perspective....

-....however the dialogue is terrible, horribly cliched and you don't build any rapport with the characters really
-Plus the ending is terrible, I won't post any spoilers but it feels like the sort of turning point you'd expect three quarters of the way through something, not right at the end, and leaves lots of questions unanswered.
-Rocket launcher is rubbish, rockets far too slow
-Some of the Warfare maps are a massive chore, very attritional where you are constantly running/surfing back and forth between nodes. I tended to use my Cards on those to speed things up a bit
-Likewise one or two of the vehicle-oriented CTF levels dragged quite a bit, I think I won one of them 1-0.
-The campaign mostly feels like what it is, a bunch of random levels strung together and the token voiceover between missions doesn't really do anything to tie it together into a cohesive story. Of course, that's not really what the UT series is about, but it's one of those situations where you kind of wish they handn't bothered and just make the levels selectable by number from a menu.

Overall it doesn't feel like a game I will come back to, one of those you grind to the finish and then put down forever.

Last edited:
Soldato
Code Vein
Not the best Souls-inspired game I've played, but not a totally bad one either. The anime style and companions made the formula feel a bit fresher for a while, even if it got a bit repetitive over time and didn't really develop.

There's a lot of build and skill variety and the game encourages you to swap out your build frequently, which I liked. I was using a strength two-hand build for exploration and mage-type build for bosses for a while, but about a third of the way in I just went all in on my strength build since that was what the later bosses seemed to call for almost exclusively, and that killed a bit of the game's variety.

The bosses are definitely sub-par when compared with Dark Souls or Sekiro, and even with other Souls-likes like Nioh or Remnant. Janky hitboxes, OP companions and abilities, worse camera than DS1 at times, too many one-shots.

An interesting take on the genre in some ways, but I have no motivation to finish the DLC or do any NG+ runs. 6.5/10

Back
Top Bottom