The Last of US II Spoiler and story discussion thread.

Soldato
I would say that's a gameplay decision not a story decision which is what I was talking about. However though there's no right or wrong answer, just a manner of opinion. The game is brutal, it's on the verge sometimes for me but that doesn't make it a bad game. If your feeling bad about it, that's the whole point of it.

We might be on the same page. My issue wasn't with the story and that Ellie tortured that lady, rather that it required us to give the Ok to progress it. Imagine if you had to click square for Abby to smash Joel's skull in.

Soldato
I suppose it's down to opinion whether it's good story telling, hitting home the brutality of the situation/ Ellie's descent into the darkness or a cheap ploy to make the player feel bad. Either one is a valid opinion. IMO they wanted both characters to be in similar footing for the final 'fight'. As Joel was liked they had to be extra brutal on a bunch of characters that players care less to balance it out. Is that bad story telling/direction? Up to each player really.

Soldato
I do find it ironic that the point of the story is revenge for Joel taken too far she loses everything else she holds dear and now neckbeards are taking their revenge for joel dying too far by sending people death threats.
One of the death threats shown was from a fan of the game.

You can skim the first 6 mins to see the proof.

Soldato
Direct hate at ND not the actor's it's not their fault they carried the story :p

How long do you get it until her protector's turn on her and NG for white actors voicing black characters in game?

Also I don't think Ashley is part of the LGTB community.

Tisk risk ND

Soldato
What's going on in the world now... Can people just not cope with things being perfectly how they wanted them? It's "**** YOU ALL. ******* DIE OF X/Y/Z"

Can we just go back to playing what we like, talking about what we dislike, whilst batting the "games make people murderers" folk away like we used to?

Soldato
We might be on the same page. My issue wasn't with the story and that Ellie tortured that lady, rather that it required us to give the Ok to progress it. Imagine if you had to click square for Abby to smash Joel's skull in.

It's funny you say that, as my impression of the game when I was reading the advertising materials almost sold it that way. It was where I'd make these moral choices, rather than the script already being set. That for me, where the game could still follow down the path of revenge and ultimately have the aim of killing Abby and the Wolves, would have made for the better game IMO. With a moral choice at the end, where Joel could turn up on the beach, break up the fight and choose to either kill or spare Abby, like she had done to him.

I'd feel like that would have given proper closure to both Ellie's forgiveness of Joel, as well as the series.

Associate
I would say that's a gameplay decision not a story decision which is what I was talking about. However though there's no right or wrong answer, just a manner of opinion. The game is brutal, it's on the verge sometimes for me but that doesn't make it a bad game. If your feeling bad about it, that's the whole point of it.

So true. I didn't agree with Joel's predominantly selfish decision in the first game, the murder of the surgeon, because it didn't ring right with me. However, that was the story.

Abby was a few steps ahead in redemption than Ellie, with her developing compassion and letting go of the hatred. She found her salvation by being the salvation of surrogate family. Like Joel thought he was. I imagine Abby would break the cycle, risking her life selflessly for a stranger who gave her a reason to live.

I started to find Ellie repulsive to play. Her determination was self-serving, much like Joel's, in the vain hope that revenge would equal justice. Only she could free herself from her own self-imposed Hell by accepting what had happened, realising that her actions brought disaster to her friends.

You could see her steady decline by her interactions with Dina, the brutality of her murder and torture and general tunnel-vision. It wasn't easy playing, but car-crash gaming. She was no hero, but a force of retribution and destruction.

It was a bitter-sweet ending, but overall Ellie was a monster shaped partially by events and her own reactions to them. She was resentful that she didn't get a chance to make up with Joel. Nothing could make up for that and she dragged others down with her. She was, essentially, a tragic character who learned too little too late for some of her friends.

Not too sure if I can say I 'enjoyed' the game, some of the scenes made me very uncomfortable, but it was a masterpiece that still resonates with me.

Soldato
I've just this moment finished this.

I enjoyed it all, Ellie had become so twisted and by time she knew it was far too late.

She lost everything.

I'd say enjoy but that's wrong word as this isn't a happy game but how they told the story and made you feel for the new characters was very well done

I don't even mind the ending myself but I hope it stays ended there.

Soldato
I overall liked it, glad Ellie didn't kill Abby in the end, that doesn't mean its not got some plot issues though, like Tommy leaving without Ellie at the start and not showing up until half way through, multiple characters having been caught with their pants down (guns/knives are their necks) decide to try to fight back and obviously meet their demise including a vulnerable pregnant women.

I just feel like they went with the shock factor of killing Joel at the start now they have to fit the story around that, and too many flashbacks which I found jarring to the pace which then made the game feel overly long.

The ending, I dunno, no closure really for me, I guess they'll make another? or finish the story off in the TV show, which will probably be crap.

Soldato
I think the ending is apt, I mean it depends how you view the story it self.

I took it as a story about loss and it can twist you and in turn you'll ruin everything around you.

The ending was Ellie waking up to that fact, Abby as well but least she tried to stop before going too far unlike Ellie

This way game gave you two different perspectives
That was enough for me, will they do another? Probably.

I didn't even think the first game needed a sequel but they gave us this which I was more than happy with

Associate
What's going on in the world now... Can people just not cope with things being perfectly how they wanted them? It's "**** YOU ALL. ******* DIE OF X/Y/Z"

Can we just go back to playing what we like, talking about what we dislike, whilst batting the "games make people murderers" folk away like we used to?
I know the backlash against this game is absolutely ridiculous Naughty dog have said millions love the game but a small but very vocal minority are trashing the game because of its themes just look at some of the 0 out of ten reviews on metacritic SJW this SJW that lol pathetic little Incels.

Soldato
I only wish the ending had some mention of where Dina went considering the entire game world has letters left by people for those they care about so back at the farmhouse there's not one to be found which was a bit of a shame.

I liked the fact there wasn't one, Dina was pretty clear when Ellie left that she wasn't going to put herself through all that so to leave a "Come find us at wherever" note would have been such a cliche. It's why she cleared out the entire house but didn't go near Ellie's room.

Soldato
I liked the fact there wasn't one, Dina was pretty clear when Ellie left that she wasn't going to put herself through all that so to leave a "Come find us at wherever" note would have been such a cliche. It's why she cleared out the entire house but didn't go near Ellie's room.
I think she put the records that they used to/had previously listened to in her room but didn’t touch anything else.

Edit. Fair play to Dina. She gave Ellie an ultimatum, and stuck to it. I think she’s back in Jackson. But I don’t think she will want to reconnect with Ellie again after all that happened.

I also think tommy wouldn’t be too happy to find out that Ellie let Abby go (I’m glad she let her go btw) As for where Ellie goes after the last visit to the farmhouse... who knows. But I’m excited to find out.

Soldato

I noticed it and so have many others, when Ellie leaves for Santa Barbara and even during the Abby fight at the end she wasn't wearing Dinas good luck bracelet, she also had a bunch of weapons on her backpack. In the final scene going back to the Farm she was wearing Dinas bracelet and had no weapons, now why would she of dumped her weapons trying to get back to the farm and where did the bracelet come from? Now it could be some kind of mess up with models or just forgetting about it, but ND have been meticulous throughout the game about the smallest details, so why do that now? Or is it some kind of bluff and Ellie had met Dina on the way back/some time after the Abby fight and was just going back for the guitar, the only thing left that linked her to Joel? Probably looking into it too much, but ND hasn't responded to the question on twitter as far as i know, and doubt they would confirm anything at this point anyway.

Soldato
Just finished it, still digesting the last hour or so but currently I'm not sure I enjoyed it. The combat became tedious long before the end and I just didn't feel it really improved on the original other than being longer. The first game was dark but had some relief whereas this game seemed to revel in its grim and violent nature. I don't need every game to leave me smiling me but at the end of this I was just kind of glad it was over and I'm not feeling any desire to replay it or seek out the collectibles I missed.

I did like the way we saw both sides of the story and how they tied together but the story itself was depressing without being moving. I hope they'll let the franchise rest now, I almost feel the first was such a perfect game that no sequel was ever going to feel good enough but this one just left me cold. Maybe if the world was a bit less messed up right now I'd feel differently.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I noticed it and so have many others, when Ellie leaves for Santa Barbara and even during the Abby fight at the end she wasn't wearing Dinas good luck bracelet, she also had a bunch of weapons on her backpack. In the final scene going back to the Farm she was wearing Dinas bracelet and had no weapons, now why would she of dumped her weapons trying to get back to the farm and where did the bracelet come from? Now it could be some kind of mess up with models or just forgetting about it, but ND have been meticulous throughout the game about the smallest details, so why do that now? Or is it some kind of bluff and Ellie had met Dina on the way back/some time after the Abby fight and was just going back for the guitar, the only thing left that linked her to Joel? Probably looking into it too much, but ND hasn't responded to the question on twitter as far as i know, and doubt they would confirm anything at this point anyway.

https://www.ladbible.com/technology...ail-that-changes-the-ending-20200708.amp.html

It all makes sense and is very cleverly disguised under the small detail type that only Naughty Dog seem capable of. On one hand those who only see the missing fingers and get caught up in the revenge part of the story will be filled with sadness and/or anger, whilst others who want a happy ending will see the bracelet and other details leading up to this moment and know Ellie is actually still with Dinah back in Jackson.

It also clarifies why ND recently said for them to go back to the story in a Last of Us Part 3 would be extremely difficult, because the revenge story is now done and dusted and everyone is living happily ever after.

Soldato
Finished the game late last night, got to that point where it felt like the end was coming and there was no way I could stop and complete it today.
With the exception of two frustrating points in the game (I say frustrating - just mechanics and combat causing me to actually rage quit at one point for the first time in a decade) it played so well, looked amazing.

What I am however confused about is what exactly I am supposed to be outraged about.
I avoided all the spoilers and have avoided all discussions on the game, so I went in to it knowing nothing and having seen only the single cinematic they released a few months before the game.
From what I did read I am supposed to be completely outraged, I'm supposed to be sending death threats to voice actors, rubbishing the entire game - giving it 1 or 2 out of 10 and then making sure I tell at least ten other people about how outraged I am.

Really enjoyed it. Put a lot of hours into the game as I didn't like to leave a room or house not searched (despite that I've missed collectables - they will be for NG+).
I found it emotional and quite hard hitting in parts. Fantastic follow up.

Soldato
What I am however confused about is what exactly I am supposed to be outraged about.
I avoided all the spoilers and have avoided all discussions on the game, so I went in to it knowing nothing and having seen only the single cinematic they released a few months before the game.
From what I did read I am supposed to be completely outraged, I'm supposed to be sending death threats to voice actors, rubbishing the entire game - giving it 1 or 2 out of 10 and then making sure I tell at least ten other people about how outraged I am.

Not outraged that there are different races, religions, genders or body types in this world and ND dared to represent them in a ******* video game? No, me neither.

Back
Top Bottom