The Last of US II Spoiler and story discussion thread.

Soldato
It’s a shame some people won’t give it a chance, because it really is a great game. I’ve got not much else to add other than I really enjoyed it. One of my only gripes was it did feel a tad long. But that ending was excellent. Ellie finally letting go of the revenge, and letting Abby live, while also deep down finally forgiving Joel for the lie at the end of the first game too.

Soldato
I remember seeing the rage about transsexuals before starting it, the whole time wondering what the hell they were talking about. Still can't see the issue. People need to just make up their own minds.

Soldato
I remember seeing the rage about transsexuals before starting it, the whole time wondering what the hell they were talking about. Still can't see the issue. People need to just make up their own minds.

Not sure thats the right word but I get what you mean. People need to get a bloody grip and if anything ND should be praised for having the balls to include these issues.

Soldato
This is exactly it. Those moaning need to understand this is one of those games that bridges the reality of human experiences between virtual and real worlds and this is confusing those players who had one set agenda when starting the game.

It's a complex narrative that not even many films can manage it at all really. Years from now future gaming fans will look back and reference it maybe even as a benchmark on what other games should aim for.

I've just watched the 1st couple of minutes of the review, specifically the killing of Joel and how it will make you empathize with Ellie more and understand what she goes through. I'm not sure anyone denies the impact of seeing your father be murdered in front of you, the problem is that ND chose to get to that element by ignoring everything that they had already established Joel as being. That's not clever, deep, or indeed very good story telling. It's cheap, hackneyed crap.

Soldato
I've just watched the 1st couple of minutes of the review, specifically the killing of Joel and how it will make you empathize with Ellie more and understand what she goes through. I'm not sure anyone denies the impact of seeing your father be murdered in front of you, the problem is that ND choose to get to that element by ignoring everything that they had already established Joel as being. That's not clever, deep, or indeed very good story telling. It's cheap, pretentious, hackneyed crap.

But it isnt, Joel was not Ellies father and they had no relationship at that time, how does it ignore what they had established about Joel?
In the first one Joel "befriended" Henry and Sam, without much issue, it is also established that Joel has softened in his some what easier life over the last 4 years. In the log book, and conversation it mentions taking stragglers back to Jackson and dealing with passing groups, so pretty trusting of others. Joel also had no other choice but to listen to Abby as they was about to be overrun by infected, they knew the place they was staying at and new it was fairly well protected.

Soldato
But it isnt, Joel was not Ellies father and they had no relationship at that time, how does it ignore what they had established about Joel?
In the first one Joel "befriended" Henry and Sam, without much issue, it is also established that Joel has softened in his some what easier life over the last 4 years. In the log book, and conversation it mentions taking stragglers back to Jackson and dealing with passing groups, so pretty trusting of others. Joel also had no other choice but to listen to Abby as they was about to be overrun by infected, they knew the place they was staying at and new it was fairly well protected.
wow, out of curiosity did you ever play the 1st one? the entire games story is built around Joel (the father) and Ellie (the daughter) finding each other, yes they arent blood relatives, but they are father and daughter

Soldato
wow, out of curiosity did you ever play the 1st one? the entire games story is built around Joel (the father) and Ellie (the daughter) finding each other, yes they arent blood relatives, but they are father and daughter

Not played the second one then? The relationship is not the same, Joel is not the same, you would know this by playing the game.

Soldato
Not played the second one then? The relationship is not the same, Joel is not the same, you would know this by playing the game.
No, I'm not going to either as in my opinion it's trash story telling that's played for the shock value. I've no interest in playing a generic revenge story, with badly written characters, that have no resemblance to the originals just so they can get to where they want to be. Others have likened it to the last jedi and I think that's a very apt comparison.

If you want a game with a well written story twist that's not played for cheap shock gimmicks go play spec ops the line.

Soldato
Why would I play a game that I have no interest in because I have read, watched, and listened to reviews? I've already decided its not for me because I don't agree with how they've portrayed the characters from the 1st. I cancelled my preorder as I'm not going to drop 60 quid plus on something I won't enjoy. In this day and age you don't have to play something for yourself to know if you will like it, quite simple really.

Soldato
Why would I play a game that I have no interest in because I have read, watched, and listened to reviews? I've already decided its not for me because I don't agree with how they've portrayed the characters from the 1st. I cancelled my preorder as I'm not going to drop 60 quid plus on something I won't enjoy. In this day and age you don't have to play something for yourself to know if you will like it, quite simple really.
Its a lot different actually playing something the watching it. If it wasnt we'd just watch a film. I highly doubt you've watched 20+ hours of someone playing it and even then it just isnt the same as carrying out these actions yourself.

Soldato

Why would you feel the need to contribute to a thread all about a game you have no intrest in? With opinions that no one who has played the game cares about?

I was going to try and persuade you to give it a go but yeah I think it would trigger you actually playing it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its a lot different actually playing something the watching it. If it wasnt we'd just watch a film. I highly doubt you've watched 20+ hours of someone playing it and even then it just isnt the same as carrying out these actions yourself.

Well that's the thing, it's like a 25 - 30 hr playthrough time by all accounts.

Other than YouTube and triggered people like our Newbie007 here..

I've not heard of someone actually taking the time to complete the game coming away hating it, in fact it's been the opposite.

Everyone I've spoken too went in hearing the negative comments but decided they were grown up enough to make their own minds up and dove in. Having come out the other end glad they did feeling £60 and a day of their life was well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom