The Last of US II Spoiler and story discussion thread.

Soldato
https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/last-part-ii-actress-bombarded-22299790 - wow!

It is indeed way too long, I would have been happier if it ended at the farm house with Ellie realising that killing Abby wouldn't solve anything. Instead travelling all that way only for a 2 second flashback to change her mind.

Yup - i was waiting for the credits to roll.

I only wish the ending had some mention of where Dina went considering the entire game world has letters left by people for those they care about so back at the farmhouse there's not one to be found which was a bit of a shame..

Yup! So MANY letters/notes and they couldn't write one from Dina?

Can see why people dislike this game now...

my interest in finishing the game has dropped to virtually zero after realising I am basically playing as Abby for half the game. Have no interest in her character whatsoever, despite the obvious intent of the game to make me feel some kind of empathy towards her. Will probably not go back to it now and just read the rest of the story

I think I've got to the bit that a lot of people are complaining about.
Even though I haven't finished the game yet, I have found my desire to keep playing severely dented.

I get what ND tried to do, but...
I do not want to play as Abby
I have no desire to search the world and all its nooks and crannies as Abby
I don't want to upgrade her stuff or gain extra skills
There MUST have been a better way to learn all this stuff about the WLF without having the game stop dead in the middle and start again !!

Aaaaanyway, I'll keep going.
Maybe I'll get that spark of fun back.

Yup!

Soldato
Finished this in about a week – 37hrs and was able to avoid any spoilers, yey!

• Take on Me – awesome version

• Some very tense and scary moments throughout – in particular The Descent – eek!!

• Scenery – amazing, so impressed.

• Abby and the Scars fleeing through the woods in the rain at night with the torches was incredible, the sound and graphics were jaw-dropping.

• Skywalk – I am terrified of heights and the way it was written and looked – my heart was racing.

• Mansion – unchaining the infected and leading them to the bad guys was hilarious!

• I wish the ending had some mention of where Dina went considering the entire game world has letters left by people for those they care about so back at the farmhouse there's not one to be found which was a bit of a shame.
Abby – for many hours I was hunting her down, was full of rage for what she did and was ready to put a bullet between her eyes – but then we switched to playing as her, protecting her, hunting down Ellie etc for another SEVERAL HOURS!! I hated this switch to start with and every opportunity threw Abby off a cliff etc (lol) and I can see why some people gave up at this point, I too had lost any investment in the game, but I stuck with it and although I prefer playing as Ellie/Joel, I did start to enjoy playing as Abby and it worked.

Overall it did get a bit ‘Walking Dead’ – humanity is the bad guy etc. Too many battling humans/factions/groups – I wanted more infected battles.

Ending...................................

I get Ellie couldn’t let it go, so i understand she sets off to hunt her down from the farm. I would have preferred to have seen that when she starts fighting with Abby at the boat, Abby tells her Joel killed her father – Ellie realises they are both the same and have lost people close to them by each other. They both learn to be at peace with what each other has done.

• Ellie – back to Jackson and can have happiness with JJ and Dina
  • Abby – I am sure I have seen images of Abby as a sort of hybrid infected/human. I was hoping that after Ellie bit Abby in the theatre, Abby would gain some form of mutation/immunity. She is a bad ass, so we see maybe an after credit roll of her battling infected when she is bitten and realises she too is immune – there is now hope between Ellie and Abby for a cure. Maybe we see Abby go under the knife and die to complete the circle of her fathers work – after all, she did say if it was her that was immune, then she would sacrifice herself.
But no, lame ass and totally wasted ending.

Over all 9/10 - lost a point for the nonsensical and no pay off ending :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Its a lot different actually playing something the watching it. If it wasnt we'd just watch a film. I highly doubt you've watched 20+ hours of someone playing it and even then it just isnt the same as carrying out these actions yourself.
I've watched enough to know I wouldn't enjoy it, I've read enough to know I wouldn't enjoy it, I've seen multiple reviews from people I know who share similar tastes to me to know I wouldn't enjoy it. I bought and enjoyed a fair few games that I originally had no interest in simply by watching someone play a game because it spiked my interest. Everything available (bar buying) did the exact opposite for me.

Would you carry on watching tv series if you didn't enjoy the pilot?

Why would you feel the need to contribute to a thread all about a game you have no intrest in? With opinions that no one who has played the game cares about?
I loved the 1st one, the story resonated with me, this is a story discussion thread for the sequel, the continuation of the story is it not? Or is it just a discussion for those that enjoyed it ? Maye you should ask the mods to amend the title if that's the case?

I was going to try and persuade you to give it a go but yeah I think it would trigger you actually playing it.
Other than YouTube and triggered people like our Newbie007 here..
The only person that seems to be 'triggered' is you because someone didn't like your modern masterpiece, if was as triggered as you seem to imply I would be throwing spoilers left, right and center in the non-spoiler discussion no?
Everyone I've spoken too went in hearing the negative comments but decided they were grown up enough to make their own minds up and dove in. Having come out the other end glad they did feeling £60 and a day of their life was well worth it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got wind of the 'Hate' for the game. A departure from the first one, gay sex, transgenders, What? I ignored those and avoided everything I could and just played. I'd had it on pre order for 2 years ;)

I think ivrytwr3 pretty much sums a lot of it up for me as well.

Killing of Joel. :( Even playing as Ellie hunting Abby and her friends down, I was seeing things from Abbey's side more and more. It reminded me of Rick and the Gang from The Walking Dead. I was always rooting for them until they started killing people in their sleep. After that I stopped caring as much. That crossed my morality line in the apocalypse world ;)

So two sides to this story and what do you know, you get to play the other side! At this point I will admit it took a while but I warmed to Abby as a character, slightly different weaponry and her journey won me over. At one point I expected I would be killing Ellie.

However after the Farm which could have been a fine ending it dragged a bit as Ellie wouldn't let her demons go and went on the hunt for Abby. It looked like the two would reconcile their shared trauma and maybe in a way they did. Not a fan of the ending but I get it. It's a grim and unforgiving world.

Yes the story wasn't the strongest but I feel it was more about our characters journey and development.

Unfortunately it's easier to hate these days, so many will miss out on a great game. The action is fantastic, graphics, sound all top notch. So many great moments.

One thing that I found strange was there was no render unconscious option. You pretty much murdered everything and everybody.

Overall 8/10.

Soldato

As someone who loved LToU (probably my favourite game) and who played and loved LToU 2, the Angry Joe review is awful to the point of being embarrassing. The pandering to the herd is obvious and the repeated missing of the point, intentionally disingenuous. You're one of many people on the internet who judged the game without having played it, based on negative feedback that was born and gained momentum before anyone had played it. You couldn't make this stuff up. I would bet money that if you lived in a social vacuum and had played the TLoU2 without preconception or spoilers, you would have been blown away. It wouldn't have been comfortable and you may not have liked how the story panned out - Naughty Dog intended to make this a challenging ride - but you would have been blown away. Unfortunately, the boat's sailed now and you'll never know. Welcome to the herd.

For what it's worth - i'd avoided all gaming related social media months prior to launch and didn't know anything about a leak or the prelaunch outrage. Just turned off the lights, bought a pizza, and played it from start to finish. When Joel was being beat down I fully expected to save him at the last minute as Ellie. That's what happens in video games, right? Then the realisation hit and I actually felt a little sick. And hated Abby more than i've ever hated a character in a video game (book or movie, for that matter). It's weird writing this as games don't resonate with me on an emotional level, but TLoU2 did. Then Naughty Dog took me on an exploration of revenge and forgiveness with a maturity (bar a few scenes that were OTT and just too brutal) yet seen in video gaming. There was a point when I genuinely wanted Ellie dead at the hands of Abby. How crazy is that?! That a video game could do that. If you want to watch an intelligent, unbiased and well thought out review, watch the excellent one ivrytwr3 posted earlier:

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want to watch an intelligent, unbiased and well thought out review, watch the excellent one ivrytwr3 posted earlier:
I've watched it already, I don't think its 'intelligent, unbiased and well thought out'

As someone who loved LToU (probably my favourite game) and who played and loved LToU 2, the Angry Joe review is awful to the point of being embarrassing. The pandering to the herd is obvious and the repeated missing of the point, intentionally disingenuous. You're one of many people on the internet who judged the game without having played it, based on negative feedback that was born and gained momentum before anyone had played it. You couldn't make this stuff up. I would bet money that if you lived in a social vacuum and had played the TLoU2 without preconception or spoilers, you would have been blown away. It wouldn't have been comfortable and you may not have liked how the story panned out - Naughty Dog intended to make this a challenging ride - but you would have been blown away. Unfortunately, the boat's sailed now and you'll never know. Welcome to the herd.

No, I would not have been blown away, for me its a badly written revenge story with characters that act completely opposite to how they've already been established, you may think that's storytelling at its finest, I have a different opinion.

There was a point when I genuinely wanted Ellie dead at the hands of Abby. How crazy is that?! That a video game could do that.
That's how you've been conditioned throughout the game to feel. From making Ellie and the rest of the 'good' guys thoroughly unlikeable to the Abbey sections being framed as way cooler and exciting (better weapons, better level design etc). It's touched upon from the critical drinker video I posted above, but an example of framing the narrative so Ellie is seen as bad would be the death of the pregnant chick at her hands. Every single time she is 'onscreen' her pregnancy is a major factor, from the character interaction - omg you're pregnant - to her clothing highlighting this fact. Then when its time for her to die, it's hidden for the 1st time in-game so you can have a cheap moment of a prenant woman dying at Ellies' hand. Is that a well-written death? No, its cheap and bad storytelling with the narrative forced so you are subconsciously adding yet another bad deed done at the hands of Ellie as you are supposed to empathise with Abbey over Ellie.

Being forced to do something within a video game and then being told you are a bad person for doing it isn't clever storytelling. Its trash tier.
I'd be interested in why you think its a well-written story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
@Newbie007 - you are just like the majority of sheeple in the world today, triggered on other peoples behalf.

I understand you are a little upset about the game, but without actually playing the game and experiencing it for yourself and most importantly using youtube reviews/videos as your references (lol) your opinion is worthless.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you should/must be open to the viewpoints of others.

Soldato
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you should/must be open to the viewpoints of others.
Ironic
@Newbie007 - you are just like the majority of sheeple in the world today, triggered on other peoples behalf.
I understand you are a little upset about the game, but without actually playing the game and experiencing it for yourself and most importantly using youtube reviews/videos as your references (lol) your opinion is worthless.

How about rather than a broad attack the poster not the content post you address any of the points I've raised?

Last edited:
Soldato
just wondered if there were any games in there that took choices away from you for the sake of a story that you might not particularly agree with.
All games have a certain degree of agency unless they are the likes of FiFa, champ managers etc. The difference is that games with good storytelling don't make you do something and then constantly berate you as a bad person for doing what the game has made you do, they let you make that decision. The ending of TLoU for example, some people agreed with the decision to save Ellie, some didnt agree with it. Its open ended in that it's up to you to decide if its the right thing to have done. The sequel could have explored that decision in far better ways than the silly revenge, its humans that are the real monsters story they went with.

Soldato
Take read dead 2 as another example, there's certain story beats that are inevitable, however you can choose the actions you take before and after that don't impact the overall theme of the story but they do impact the version you will get. As a story rd2 is miles above tlou2.

Back
Top Bottom