The Last of Us Part II

Caporegime
I was thinking the same thing, sure she had a bit of a reason to dislike the Fireflies based on their plans for her in the first, but to go after them all?

Wonder what that motivation could be. I was thinking perhaps she finds out they killed her parents or something, but killing Joel could do it as well. Pumped to see what Naughty Dog have in store, without a doubt the best story telling devs on the planet for me.

Either way, I have a feeling Joel doesn't make it in/out of this one alive.

Soldato
Besides the Yakuza series and RDR, this is my favourite game ever and I'm not at all happy about it getting a sequel. I'd be cool with e.g. Uncharted 5 as I'd just be getting some quality mindless shooting/platforming with a cliché story but reviving a game so unique and with one of the most striking endings I've seen (if not THE) is not a good move.

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be a great game and I will absolutely play it but the conclusion to the first was perfect. They're somewhat diminishing its impact by continuing the story.

Soldato
Obviously too early to say but I've got the feeling Joel is dead from that trailer. Sure he was there, but the way he appeared out of the light didn't sit well with me. Ellie and the 'player' will need a huge motive for going against whatever enemy exists - Fireflies I assume for now. Maybe they've killed Joel?[/QUOTE]

It would be weird for Ellie to say the stuff she did in the trailer because of Joel's death if he hadn't already been dead but we see him alive, unless it's a sort of recollection. However, the game is supposed to be about "hate" between the characters so maybe that's why he's portrayed like that and we control Ellie for most of the game.

I guess she finds out about Joel's lie and is ****ed both at him and the Fireflies.

Soldato
But you don't know what the story is yet...

Of course I don't and I'm not writing it off, I'm sure it'll still be great. Just saying TLOU doesn't need a sequel IMO.
Even the devs said it was supposed to be the end of Joel and Ellie's story as it was self-contained and tied everything up perfectly.
Most likely, they've been pressured by fans as they've also said they were thinking for a long time but couldn't come up with anything worthwhile and almost gave up. Not every game needs a sequel.

Soldato
Obviously too early to say but I've got the feeling Joel is dead from that trailer. Sure he was there, but the way he appeared out of the light didn't sit well with me. Ellie and the 'player' will need a huge motive for going against whatever enemy exists - Fireflies I assume for now. Maybe they've killed Joel?

It would be weird for Ellie to say the stuff she did in the trailer because of Joel's death if he hadn't already been dead but we see him alive, unless it's a sort of recollection. However, the game is supposed to be about "hate" between the characters so maybe that's why he's portrayed like that and we control Ellie for most of the game.

I guess she finds out about Joel's lie and is ****ed both at him and the Fireflies.
My thinking was that she is or was imagining Joel's voice, and it is that which spurs her on. Later we find out that Joel is really dead. Too early to say obliviously.

Last edited:
Soldato
Of course I don't and I'm not writing it off, I'm sure it'll still be great. Just saying TLOU doesn't need a sequel IMO.
Even the devs said it was supposed to be the end of Joel and Ellie's story as it was self-contained and tied everything up perfectly.
Most likely, they've been pressured by fans as they've also said they were thinking for a long time but couldn't come up with anything worthwhile and almost gave up. Not every game needs a sequel.

So you don't trust the people who created the original to come up with a worthy sequel? Assuming it's done well (and let's face it, it will be) there's no reason at all for it to detract from the original in any way.

Quite baffling how negative people are about this already.

As for Joel, for a game that deals with so much death I don't think him appearing as a "ghostly apparition" is particularly likely or fitting with the theme. Who knows what his fate might be by the end of the game but I think it's safe to assume he's alive for the bulk of it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP

Druckman said theyd only do it if the story was worth telling.

I have 100% faith in them.

Soldato
delighted we will get a new game, I'm not sure it needed to be the same characters though.

There were art renders about a year ago that suggested the sequel may be set in Europe that looked pretty interesting, I guess they must have dropped that idea

Caporegime
delighted we will get a new game, I'm not sure it needed to be the same characters though.

There were art renders about a year ago that suggested the sequel may be set in Europe that looked pretty interesting, I guess they must have dropped that idea

Oh come on, logically speaking why would you drop such rich characters that people have such an emotional investment in? We nurtured Ellie through the entirety of the first game, cared for and protected her, and she is the natural protagonist for the second game.

Soldato
Oh come on, logically speaking why would you drop such rich characters that people have such an emotional investment in? We nurtured Ellie through the entirety of the first game, cared for and protected her, and she is the natural protagonist for the second game.

Why not?, I'd fully trust ND to develop something equally as good as TLOU1. I was satisfied with the conclusion we got, but again equally happy to see where they take it next

Soldato
Loved the first one. Probably one of the best games I played on the PS3. Yet to play the remastered version so I will have to give it a go before this comes out.

Is it just me though or is the trailer really quiet?

The remaster is stunning. I enjoyed it just as much if not more. So much smoother. I will play it again before this comes out.

Trailer was quiet for me too.

Back
Top Bottom