The Last of Us Part II

Soldato
RDR2 probably edges it in some areas like the horses, but otherwise it sets a new bar visually, which is pretty incredible when it's nearly 7 year old hardware.

Yep that's fair and also I can't penalise RDR2 given it's a massive open world but with TLOU2 the level of detail, physical interactions, animations/mocap, lighting and depth are seriously impressive and even moreso in HDR on OLED. As a staunch PC Gamer foremost the PS4 generation of first party titles have really been impressive and makes me excited for the PS5.

How far can people see on the lower difficulties with the listen mode?

I'm on moderate and even with the extended range it isn't particularly far (I can regularly see enemies that are out of range). I use it more for assessing movement patterns in stealth and also when I go full guns blazing and want to plan my assault on easier targets.

Associate
Now I am not a prude by any stretch of the imagination, but is this game somewhat on the violent side? I don't mean comedy or fantasy violence, but simply nasty, vicious brutality. I checked myself
when Ellie was on day 2, slaughtering a bunch of WLF people by stabbing them in the neck.

Certainly one of the most graphic games I have played and I'm not too sure what I think about that :eek:

Soldato
I finished it and overall its a 7/10 from me mainly for graphics, production and creative direction, which is top notch, PS4 impresses me to this day.

Now the good is out of the way, time for the bad.

After 15 hours of the same lets go here, oops route is blocked let's take the dark enemy infected way around, it became a chore. I didn't find the fights fun, the human enemies had the AI of a Metal Gear Solid game...the 1st one from 1998 (On the bright side you could say Hideo Kojima was ahead of his time). But one of the real let-down was the story, I didn't like Ellie's character at all...and that ending...man...that ending.

Ellie was just a cold blooded murder that went on a rampage even when she knew that the people that she was killing were trying to find a vaccine to save the world. All the times I was playing as Ellie I actually wanted her to dead, I lost count of the amount of times I just didn't press the button to attack or defend myself because her dying would be my desired outcome.

Then there was Abbys playthrough, which I didn't mind so much as a character, but did drag on and in the end it was for nothing, which felt like slap in the face. Which pretty much sums up how I feel, a massive slap in the face. Ellie did all that, murdered all those people only to realise in the end that she would rather forget about Joel...wtf

Last edited:
Soldato
Now I am not a prude by any stretch of the imagination, but is this game somewhat on the violent side? I don't mean comedy or fantasy violence, but simply nasty, vicious brutality. I checked myself
when Ellie was on day 2, slaughtering a bunch of WLF people by stabbing them in the neck.

Certainly one of the most graphic games I have played and I'm not too sure what I think about that :eek:

Yeah, it's pretty brutal. But then, murder is pretty brutal.

V F

V F

Soldato
Not far, as @Mobius 1 says, it's not that useful in this one. Which is a good thing, as you can just play the game without being in weird monochrome filter mode.

It's very easy to get spotted by people that are nowhere near showing up on the listen mode....and I'm playing on normal.

Yeah, I stopped using it early on as I can barely detect anything beyond 6ft. It's handy for things behind vehicles, dumpsters, bookshelfs and such.

Soldato
But not all big name reviews were positive, so explain that, and while you're at it, please provide the sauce that all the positive reviews were bought for, thanks :)
I finished it and overall its a 7/10 from me mainly for graphics, production and creative direction, which is top notch, PS4 impresses me to this day.

After 15 hours of the same lets go here, oops route is blocked let's take the dark enemy infected way around, it became a chore. I didn't find the fights fun, the human enemies had the AI of a Metal Gear Solid game...the 1st one from 1998 (On the bright side you could say Hideo Kojima was ahead of his time). But one of the real let-down was the story, I didn't like Ellie's character at all...and that ending...man...that ending.

So a masterpiece yeah? Doesn't make the 90 odd mainstream publications giving it near perfect scores AT ALL suspicious? lol.

Soldato
After 15 hours of the same lets go here, oops route is blocked let's take the dark enemy infected way around, it became a chore. I didn't find the fights fun

That's pretty much how I felt about the first one. Wonderfully pretty, great music. I didn't really care for the story that much, which is why it's not even close to one of my favourite games.
I've no interest in playing this one and never did.

Soldato
So a masterpiece yeah? Doesn't make the 90 odd mainstream publications giving it near perfect scores AT ALL suspicious? lol.
Thus far I give it a near perfect score, THAT is all that matters.

I couldn't care less what reviewers, players, lovers, haters, you, or your next door neighbor's cat thinks of it, I'm loving it.

V F

V F

Soldato

Ellie was just a cold blooded murder that went on a rampage even when she knew that the people that she was killing were trying to find a vaccine to save the world. All the times I was playing as Ellie I actually wanted her to dead, I lost count of the amount of times I just didn't press the button to attack or defend myself because her dying would be my desired outcome.

Then there was Abbys playthrough, which I didn't mind so much as a character, but did drag on and in the end it was for nothing, which felt like slap in the face. Which pretty much sums up how I feel, a massive slap in the face. Ellie did all that, murdered all those people only to realise in the end that she would rather forget about Joel...wtf

What I've noticed compared to the first they're forcing you into fights or some form of takedown because if runners don't see you, people will. Somebody is going to spot you unless you clear a section as there is also items around that they will spot you taking.

It's not bad but compared to the first you could sneak through lots of sections entirely unnoticed saving all your molotovs. Granted I've only used one molotov so far but I've seen clickers and runners on fire for ages burning like crazy and lived. What the heck...

Soldato
Soooo....I've finished the game, about 22hours for me. I'd give the first game a 9/10 and this one an 8/10. Absolutely brilliant game and really enjoyed it. Some really hard to play scenes at times.

I'm really struggling to find the bits where people got to angry about and gave it 1/10, those people can't have played the game.

had my code come through from my steel book edition.
"Ammo Capacity Upgrade: Instantly unlock an ammo capacity upgrade for Ellie’s pistol.
Crafting Training Manual: Instantly unlock the Crafting Training Manual, which provides access to new crafting recipes and upgrades"

I never used it, does anybody else want it?? First to reply gets it.

Associate
Soooo....I've finished the game, about 22hours for me. I'd give the first game a 9/10 and this one an 8/10. Absolutely brilliant game and really enjoyed it. Some really hard to play scenes at times.

I'm really struggling to find the bits where people got to angry about and gave it 1/10, those people can't have played the game.

had my code come through from my steel book edition.
"Ammo Capacity Upgrade: Instantly unlock an ammo capacity upgrade for Ellie’s pistol.
Crafting Training Manual: Instantly unlock the Crafting Training Manual, which provides access to new crafting recipes and upgrades"

I never used it, does anybody else want it?? First to reply gets it.
Can I take them please?

Soldato
I think I'm tantalisingly close to the end now, but I'll save it for tomorrow.

Gobsmacked at some of the visuals...the part where you're running through the woods in the rain at night is ridiculous, on an end of life console...

Looking forward to playing through again on a harder difficulty, normal is a bit too easy, no real consequence for 'going loud' as there's always enough ammo to restock. Also not exploring everything as I want to see the ending.

Back
Top Bottom