The Last of Us Part II

Associate
Finished it just now.

Great gameplay the graphics and effects are superb. Other than a couple of clipping issues it’s extremely polished and looks stunning. The sound is also really good.

But......

The story is horrendous and tbh cringeworthy. No idea what Druckmann was thinking it’s really bad with some outright parts I just wanted to switch off. The game is dark no problem with that but it really pushes you into situations you as a player would not want to be in especially if you loved the first game. It needed more player choice rather than forced by the game. At times it really shone (Flashbacks) but it’s then back to one mans dark very disturbed fantasy that pretty much destroys all the first built up. Don’t even get me started on the ending......

It’s a 6.5/10 from me seriously stunning gameplay and simply a visual and audio masterpiece ruined by a horrendous story.....

I think I will play through the first again to refresh my brain why I loved the game so much.
Mate the game is amazing 6.5 don't talk rubbish stick to call of duty and fortnite.

Associate
I just completed it and loved it!! one of the best games I've played in a long time. So glad I managed to avoid any spoilers on it and not read all of the hate before it was released.

I'm not sure how long it took me to complete, probably 35 hrs or so I guess as I was in no rush and just enjoyed exploring every inch of it.

Some people had decided on their score way before the game was released and have never played it, others just believe what they read and base their opinions on that... their loss on missing out on the experience.
Me too one of the best game i have ever played laughing at all the crybabies who dislike something to try and be all cool and edgy.

Caporegime
The bit about the fireflies dismissing the issue of killing a child is patently wrong and you would know that if you'd played the second game.

The irony of calling others a snow flake when you and a few others are foaming at the mouth about a games story not being up to your discerning standards is hilarious.

I will say the story is not as good as the first game. No question but its still better than most games and gameplay and everything else is defintiely a notch above the first game which was to be expected. Im not far off the end now so will see if it nosedives. The first game was a 9 out of 10 for me. This is an 8.

I'm having the time of my life right now, the meme content is legendary, who thought GOT/freefolk could be topped :D

Soldato
And finally finished! It's almost too ambitious for it's own good, went on a little too long....but overall, loved it. I'd put it at least on a par with the first game, so many improvements on top and a much broader canvas.

I really don't understand all the fuss about the ending, pretty much as I suspected just a lot of internet drama. I thought it was completely fitting with the game and the characters. Anyway I'll pop on over the spoiler thread and see what's going on :p

Soldato
And finally finished! It's almost too ambitious for it's own good, went on a little too long....but overall, loved it. I'd put it at least on a par with the first game, so many improvements on top and a much broader canvas.

I really don't understand all the fuss about the ending, pretty much as I suspected just a lot of internet drama. I thought it was completely fitting with the game and the characters. Anyway I'll pop on over the spoiler thread and see what's going on :p

So you don't really see any problems with the ending, the way the story operates, placeholder characters and the underhanded revenge motive? The game does it over and over again and you have to switch your brain off to not notice. I can trim all my complaints about the story and focus on 4-5 things and it's still hard to take it seriously. Some decisions genuinely made me laugh.

I admit I complained too much in the spoiler thread in the beginning because I didn't know where to start but it's really easy to just focus on a couple of things and dismantle the plot. By all means pop in that thread and I'll summarise in two paragraphs.

Soldato
I’m not allowed a different opinion to yours ? A bit of an immature comment tbh.

Tbh whilst your score is on the harsher side I think, I do agree with some of the points you raised. I'm nearing the end so will reserve my final score for then.

I'd ignore that comment definitely immature

Soldato
Im not far in...i dont think anyway im in Seattle day 2 but i dont see anything that would be perticularly controversial. Unless it drastically changes i dont get why people are feeling the LGBT message is being forced.

Soldato
Im not far in...i dont think anyway im in Seattle day 2 but i dont see anything that would be particularly controversial. Unless it drastically changes i dont get why people are feeling the LGBT message is being forced.
The message is right at the end and I personally don't see what the big deal is.

Caporegime
OP
Is anyone else playing this on a base PS4 with HDR enabled on an OLED?

Im playing on a C9 and some parts are just pitch black, so much so that if my flashlight isn’t shining on an area I cannot see anything outside of that FOV and it’s killing my enjoyment of the encounters because I get swamped from enemies I don’t know are there.

It’s great for atmosphere and immersion but sucks for playability.

Associate
Seems to me the people giving really low scores don't like the story you have not picked up on the message you seek revenge better dig two graves and as for the walking bits every naughty dog games does that.

Caporegime
OP
I’m on Pro on C9 and it was dark but still ok. Have you done the HDR setup in settings ?

When you say HDR setup? You mean slide a few things around? Yes I setup HDR when I first played.

Same here, the game was quite dark, but it was never really pitch black.

My game has had moments of complete pitch black, the only way I have resolved it is to turn HDR off and whack the I game brightness up to 10, leaving it at brightness 10 with HDR still gave me the issue of it being too dark

Soldato
When you say HDR setup? You mean slide a few things around? Yes I setup HDR when I first played.

My game has had moments of complete pitch black, the only way I have resolved it is to turn HDR off and whack the I game brightness up to 10, leaving it at brightness 10 with HDR still gave me the issue of it being too dark

Yep that bit. Seems strange I found it dark but not too dark if that makes sense. Are you using game mode and have you adjusted hdr game mode settings on the tv ?

Caporegime
OP
I think the TV switches to game mode automatically yes, I haven’t fiddled with tv brightness as I’ve never had to with any other game. Maybe I need to with this.

Soldato
I think the TV switches to game mode automatically yes, I haven’t fiddled with tv brightness as I’ve never had to with any other game. Maybe I need to with this.

Might be worth a look at the settings HDR affects contrast too. Make sure you are in HDR game mode when fiddling not just game mode as they are separate settings....

Back
Top Bottom