The Last of Us Part II

Soldato
But you don't know, right? You're guessing.
Remove the game world assets, the character textures, maybe even the motion capture and you're left with the same killing, stabbing, shooting that's for the most part the same formula that's in most other games like this one.

I'm guessing you have enjoyed some video games.
Looking back I am not really sure to be honest, just something to pass the boredom factor? a means to an end maybe? some flying and driving games are ok but no lasting appeal, quite bland really.

TLoU2 is up there with the very best i've played.
I'm not here to take that away from anyone, each to their own.

cinematic experience.
I like cinematic music like the orchestral ensemble and maybe some depth of field effects, that's about it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just looked at your post history. Considering you post in a lot of Call of Duty threads.
From years ago maybe? If you claim I have been posting just lately and a lot can you actually prove that? I hate those games, same repetitive rubbish if I'm honest.

Soldato
Completed it. Really keeps you thinking, playing over events in the story.

If someone had told me I was playing a ps5 game I would have believed them. The graphics were insane. The combat cycle was incredibly satisfying.

9.5/10 for me. I feel exhausted. What a violent and emotional rollercoaster.

Soldato
For the most part yes it's the same violence as many other video games portray.

I sort of get what you mean here. I don't mind the uber violence in the TLOU2 because it's a post-apocalyptic game so you would expect people to have to kill to survive, but I personally found the amount of killing in the Uncharted games really jarring and it frequently ruined the immersion for me. They portray this happy-go-lucky, one-liner delivering, Indiana Jones-esque main character who seems to have a good heart, then all of a sudden he's murdering dozens of mercenaries. Can you imagine an Indiana Jones film where he kills dozens and dozens of people in one segment, it would be laughable, yet we seem to accept it with games. I wish game devs would have the guts to make a game like Uncharted that isn't so dependent on combat and killing.

Soldato
I like cinematic music like the orchestral ensemble and maybe some depth of field effects, that's about it.

I could touch on the things you mentioned, but we'll end up going in circles. This one does miss my point, though. Which is understandable as the only way to understand it and agree/disagree would be to play the game, which you won't. I'll put it this way. Unlike other games, TLoU2 feels more like controlling and, to some extent, directing a movie. The subtle video grain is a cool touch too. Of course, it's a video game that's blurring the lines between the mediums, but that's what it achieves so well and one of the things that makes it special.

V F

V F

Soldato
Completed it. Really keeps you thinking, playing over events in the story.

If someone had told me I was playing a ps5 game I would have believed them. The graphics were insane. The combat cycle was incredibly satisfying.

9.5/10 for me. I feel exhausted. What a violent and emotional rollercoaster.

The way they've captured real human movement is really creepy with some of the encounters. :D

Associate
-why are they idiots :confused:
-will the game be any different if you play it in a couple of years rather than right now :confused:
-it's already going for £35 posted used and only been out 2 weeks so 2 years, really :confused:
Because you could buy it now and trade it in and get most of your money back anyway why wait for a sale that's the beauty of console games and this game is worth playing now the only people giving it bad reviews are crybabies.

Associate
I sort of get what you mean here. I don't mind the uber violence in the TLOU2 because it's a post-apocalyptic game so you would expect people to have to kill to survive, but I personally found the amount of killing in the Uncharted games really jarring and it frequently ruined the immersion for me. They portray this happy-go-lucky, one-liner delivering, Indiana Jones-esque main character who seems to have a good heart, then all of a sudden he's murdering dozens of mercenaries. Can you imagine an Indiana Jones film where he kills dozens and dozens of people in one segment, it would be laughable, yet we seem to accept it with games. I wish game devs would have the guts to make a game like Uncharted that isn't so dependent on combat and killing.

This honestly never crossed my mind until I saw it discussed online somewhere a while ago, but I was thinking about it earlier as I'm currently playing through the series again. How would a developer make a game in this way? I'm almost certain that it would sell very little compared to what the series has sold over the years if they made it into some kind of platformer/puzzle thing with no combat.

Soldato
Because you could buy it now and trade it in and get most of your money back anyway why wait for a sale that's the beauty of console games and this game is worth playing now the only people giving it bad reviews are crybabies.
Well, that answered none of those points. In your world people who don't like something you do = crybaby, well done you :rolleyes:

Soldato
The first 1/4 is the weakest. From then it picks up to levels the first can't match. Story/character wise it's subjective and your mileage may vary. For me, the story was good, if too damn brutal and bleak at times. If you thought the first was bleak - you haven't seen anything yet! In terms of the gameworld, gameplay, graphics, just the sheer goddamn epicness of what happens, TLoU2 is leagues ahead. You should absolutely play it through.

Thanks mate! 15 hours in now, and yeah, it has picked up nicely :D

Can anyone confirm how far through I am please?

Just got to point where Abby has been attacked by Scars and she escapes with the two ex-Scar members, I've just left those, and Abby is almost at the ferris wheel.

Soldato
Thanks mate! 15 hours in now, and yeah, it has picked up nicely :D

Can anyone confirm how far through I am please?

Just got to point where Abby has been attacked by Scars and she escapes with the two ex-Scar members, I've just left those, and Abby is almost at the ferris wheel.

Good stuff!

I reckon 2/3 through? Maybe half way. So much happens in TLoU2 and the timeline jumps about that i'm finding it hard to place. One thing is sure - there's a whole bunch of great moments still to come.

Soldato
Remove the game world assets, the character textures, maybe even the motion capture and you're left with the same killing, stabbing, shooting that's for the most part the same formula that's in most other games like this one.

Disagree. The Last of Us has a level of brutality to its combat and violence that few other games seem to manage to achieve to the same effect. Even things like enemies calling out to downed buddies by name adds immersion that you don't see in many other games.

If you've long since established you won't like the game and refuse to play it, it seems weird to me to want to keep discussing it.

Soldato
This honestly never crossed my mind until I saw it discussed online somewhere a while ago, but I was thinking about it earlier as I'm currently playing through the series again. How would a developer make a game in this way? I'm almost certain that it would sell very little compared to what the series has sold over the years if they made it into some kind of platformer/puzzle thing with no combat.

I think it would actually be quite popular with the Uncharted games. I've seen a lot of people say that the exploration and characters are their favourite parts of the Uncharted games, I don't see that many people saying that the combat is their favourite part. I think the violence is essential and believable in TLOU1 and 2 because of the setting, there is huge amounts of violence in the Walking Dead as well, and it's believable that with society as we know it having disintegrated you'd have people fighting each other for resources, territory, etc.

I just think it sticks out like a sore thumb in Uncharted, where one minute you've got the main characters bantering with each other and Nate delivers some funny one-liner, then the next minute he's bulldozing his way through a bunch of mercenaries. It's really jarring imo and the more the Uncharted games evolved and developed in other aspects the more it stuck out for me.

Soldato
Uncharted is more akin to an action movie with exploration. Mowing down all those mercs is unrealistic for sure, but I don’t think they’re going for realism in those games (unlike TLOU). they could go the tomb raider route, but then I think it would probably be less cinematic ? I actually like the gun fights and set pieces in UC

Soldato
Nope.

People were even buying the first several weeks ago playing it to get ready for this and they didn't know anything at all about it.

I did this solely from recommendations. I rarely play this genre and don't rate anything where you need to evade zombies.

:confused:

You're describing COD. I'm not sure how your complaints fit about a game having a storyline, numerous different locations with some rather excellent scenery as well as a map you need to explore from time to time. Yes, there is a flaw in the design that stops a lot of the tactical sneaking around on this one, but at no point was the fighting a total chore.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom