1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the linux window manager debate!

Discussion in 'Linux & Open Source' started by Hate, 6 Jul 2006.

1. Hate

Soldato

Right, now, I know the selection of window manager generally splits lots of linux users.

Most of the crowd are familiar with gnome / kde and a couple of the more lightweight "pro" ones.

My question is this, are there any more window managers out there that aren't completely basic, but are also quite fluffy to boot :)

Its a shame theres no OSX style window manager out, or is there?

I personally like gnome, what do you guys use / like ?

2. Una

Wise Guy

I use fluxbox or XFCE normally. KDE is too bloated, gnome is pretty decent though.

3. Hate

Soldato

anyone use XGL?

4. AJUK

Man of Honour

When I first started using Linux I was an avid KDE fan, cold turkey from Windows brainwashing I suppose. Now, Gnome all the way.

5. 900I

Gangster

Used KDE for donkeys years, but now a Gnome fan. Also really like XFCE on older hardware.

6. Doug

Mobster

Don't get me started, blasted Radeon X700 :mad:

7. Dunky

Gangster

GNOME mainly for me although my laptop uses Fluxbox. Fluxbox is great for small systems but I like the eye-candy of GNOME. I haven't tried KDE lately but the one thing that put me off was QT - made applications look horrible in my opinion.

8. Mark JB

Hitman

Gnome here although i have just switched to xgl and think its brilliant. It took a little configuration work using ati drives but it wasnt more than an afternoons work and now i couldnt be without it.

:D

Anyone know much about enlightnment ?

9. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

OSX is KDE, just all jazzed up with fancy extras.

I use XFCE, and sometimes Gnome. I use fluxbox when I'm using my DSL USB stick.

10. punky_munky

Mobster

I thought Safari was based on Konquerer but that's as far as it went?

11. Augmented

Soldato

I tried XGL, but couldn't manage to get it working over two monitors (dual-head nvidia card). Switched back to Gnome not because of the dual-monitor issue, but because I found the abundance of animation slowed my productivity. I'm aware you can configure what effects are enabled, and the speed they occur. I found it simply too 'busy' to be working at as I'm switching between windows/workspaces very frequently and quickly.

Still, it's a fantastic implementation and very smart looking. I'd happily install it on a media pc or such where you want to want to show off the interface.

As much as I like XFCE, I didn't get on with it. Gnome suits me. Simple, but with enough optional bell-and-whistles and the traditional interface requires little thought to be able to dive straight in with it.

12. Augmented

Soldato

They shared the same underlying engine - KHTML. Just like how Gecko is used by Netscape, Camino, Firefox etc. However Apple now have their own implementation for Safari, with Webkit :).

13. BillytheImpaler

Man of Honour

I'm bloody addicted to it. I go to work and use a Mac and a few Windows boxes and I feel cramped in having one desktop and no spinning cube.

14. punky_munky

Mobster

Desktop Manager for Mac does all the snazzy spinny cube nonsense.

15. Mark JB

Hitman

Indeed only having one desktop is like so 1990's :p

16. riven

Wise Guy

I'm an openbox user. Whenever I try to switch, I always come back to openbox. It's light its fast, and its very configurable. My desktop consists of openbox, pypanel, conky and devilspie for a couple of things.

One of my favourite things about openbox is it support custom keys and mousebuttons so well. On my MX1000 I use the horizontal scroll to switch desktop, which is just slick. The only feature I wish it had is workspace warping.

17. MiggyMan

Wise Guy

Im a windowmaker man myself, just like riven i've tried others and I just keep comming back :)

I love the simplicity of just having a dock on the side, program icons on the bottom and nothing inbetween :)

I run my system here at work with dual head but I use 2 seperate desktops rather than xinerama, both have their own set of docks and each gets used for differing tasks (i like it that way).

Alas, I only have the one 20" tft at home (for now) :p

18. Hades

Caporegime

Gnome for me.

19. lovedaddy

Gangster

Seem be the odd one out here

I use KDE...

KPart
    KIOSlaves
    DCop
    Nice app integration

Ideal desktop to me...

20. eatmuchpie

Associate

I use KDE, and my experience with it has improved recently due to 2 new programs I installed:

Katapult: Press alt+space and type what you want. You can tell it to put on a specific song, or show you a specific folder, or run a specific program, etc... very cool. It's in the debian repository.

Kompose: Based on Mac's Expose, by pressing a button (or moving the cursor to a specified corner of the screen), the windows are tiled and shown to you. You then click on the one you want to focus on. Again, in the debian repository.

Have fun!