The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

Associate
That's normal, it was the same last year.

The B list is for players that have been at the club at least 2 years and are born before a certain date. They can play as normal and players can be registered to the B list at any point up to 24 hours before a game or something.

That used to annoy the heck out of me on FM.. Players didn't need to be included in the 25 man squad as they fit into the B squad rule (I think it's U20 or U21 in FM) and then the players were "why didn't you include me in the squad??" and you wanted to say "because you don't need to be registered in the squad to play due to your age" etc...

Man of Honour
OP
Our games between now and the 1st Nov:

Newcastle
PSG
Chelsea
RB Leipzig
Arsenal

If we play as we have done in the last few games, this isn't going to end well. Can see Ole being gone before too long.

In the past we've done well in these situations, but I'm not hopeful now unless Telles and Cavani can lift the entire squad massively.

Soldato
Utd have triggered Pogba’s one year extension. They must have been watching a different player.
Perhaps because of lack of interest they’re hoping it’ll pick up in another year...

Edit: Having just seen the Transfer thread and Baz, it makes a little more sense but they’ll be lucky to get big money...

Soldato
If we can get 60m plus for pogba I would take it.

i don’t think anyone is paying that though.

Realistically. He probably isn’t on our balance sheet for a big amount so financially we could sell him cheap and still not “make a loss”

It’s difficult but I expect he’ll end up leaving for free at the end of this extension in the end as we stubbornly keep hold of him.

Soldato
Shami will be pleased he’s possible staying another year.

I think realistically £40 mil minimum should be enough to offload him

unfortunately RM don’t seem interested so that doesn’t leave many options, Juventus maybe?

Caporegime
Aye, if he's willing to extend rather than bugger off on a free.....give us another year to get some money back. Sensible option imo.

Nothing about willing to extend, it's an option in the contract that can be activated by the club. We use them in most of our contracts, it rarely makes a headline but of course it's Pogba and the media are obsessed with him.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Aye, if he's willing to extend rather than bugger off on a free.....give us another year to get some money back. Sensible option imo.

It’s a forced extension by the club. Most contracts have an optional year in them. I guess it means they get an extra year they can take or leave depending on the players performance etc.

I assume we will lose big on Pogba but honestly, I don’t really care. He’s not a good fit for the club and the sort of player mentality we want. He’s exactly the sort of player Klopp would either sort out or get rid of within a few months.

He’s been afforded far too much respect considering his lack of effort so much of the time. He always puts his personal desires over the teams and doesn’t seem to care about the club. Seems like a great guy and I don’t dislike him but he’s an expensive luxury that we can’t currently afford.

We have enough players in midfield at the moment not to need him.

Soldato
Where do we go from here? Yesterday was yet another example of the two steps back the team seems to take after one step forward. Solskjaer messed up yesterday and in doing so resurrected all the questions around his ability as a coach. We saw a defensive approach applied at home vs a decent but not great Arsenal team. It failed and I think whilst we can point he finger at Pogba for the conceded penalty that gets away from the fact that he picked the wrong team / formation and was slow to react to the opposition dominating the play. When you lose 6-1 at home I get that you have to stop that repeating or you know you are out of a job, however I just don't know what system of play he wants the players to follow. Unlike most of the decent sides we don't press high. We don't even press low at times suggesting that we are happy to counter attack. I'm actually really doubting his (OGS) credentials again. In contrast what we see from Arteta is a work in progress but a work ethos that underpins everything else that comes after. For United to start the match the way they did yesterday is unacceptable and there should be consequences for that.

I still think at the core of the problems for this team is a lack of a commanding, quick centre back. MAguire was supposed to be that player but he is clearly not. Solskjaer needs the bottle to address this or he will be stuck playing two only slightly above average DCMs. He also needs more work rate from players like Pogba if they are to merit a place. Sadly what we will likely see is more of the same bumbling, a couple of flattering wins and then a crash to reality. It's not good enough. Sigh

Caporegime
Where do we go from here? Yesterday was yet another example of the two steps back the team seems to take after one step forward. Solskjaer messed up yesterday and in doing so resurrected all the questions around his ability as a coach. We saw a defensive approach applied at home vs a decent but not great Arsenal team. It failed and I think whilst we can point he finger at Pogba for the conceded penalty that gets away from the fact that he picked the wrong team / formation and was slow to react to the opposition dominating the play. When you lose 6-1 at home I get that you have to stop that repeating or you know you are out of a job, however I just don't know what system of play he wants the players to follow. Unlike most of the decent sides we don't press high. We don't even press low at times suggesting that we are happy to counter attack. I'm actually really doubting his (OGS) credentials again. In contrast what we see from Arteta is a work in progress but a work ethos that underpins everything else that comes after. For United to start the match the way they did yesterday is unacceptable and there should be consequences for that.

I still think at the core of the problems for this team is a lack of a commanding, quick centre back. MAguire was supposed to be that player but he is clearly not. Solskjaer needs the bottle to address this or he will be stuck playing two only slightly above average DCMs. He also needs more work rate from players like Pogba if they are to merit a place. Sadly what we will likely see is more of the same bumbling, a couple of flattering wins and then a crash to reality. It's not good enough. Sigh

To be fair he understood that after the first half and changed the formation around and we were back on top or at least equal with Arsenal. The substitutions were far too cautious and not risky enough. Also look at the post by Robbo. We have come out of that with 3 wins a draw and a loss.

Soldato
As it stands Ole is safe for better or worse, I think the next few games will determine his fate I.e. he can't afford many more losses especially at home.

For some reason we ways start games so badly and slowly which isn't showing any signs of changing.

For the high press we definitely need better and quicker players I.e. tuanzebe in defence and pogba wouldn't fit in such a system.

I think VDB warrants a start he's just the most intelligent player we have at the moment.

I propose:
Rashford
Martial Fernandes Greenwood
Fred VDB
Telles Tuanzebe Lindelof AWB

Last edited:
Caporegime
As it stands Ole is safe for better or worse, I think the next few games will determine his fate I.e. he can't afford many more losses especially at home.

For some reason we ways start games so badly and slowly which isn't showing any signs of changing.

For the high press we definitely need better and quicker players I.e. tuanzebe in defence and pogba wouldn't fit in such a system.

I think VDB warrants a start he's just the most intelligent player we have at the moment.

I propose:
Rashford
Martial Fernandes Greenwood
Fred VDB
Telles Tuanzebe Lindelof AWB

Tuanzebe is key to the whole puzzle tbh. It is just whether Ole has the balls to implement it. He also needs to address the situation where Pogba and Fernandes cannot start a game together.

Soldato
Tuanzebe is key to the whole puzzle tbh. It is just whether Ole has the balls to implement it. He also needs to address the situation where Pogba and Fernandes cannot start a game together.
He had the balls to drop Pogba initially but somehow he starts after one good game.

Also starting Maguire after the whole Greece incident was more to support Maguire, rather than the team as a whole. Just looking at Maguire in interviews he's no captain unfortunately. Good as a backup defender or team like Burnley.(no offense Burnley, Dyche great guy)

Shaw works better as a LCB in a back 5. As an out and out LB he just isn't cutting it.

Caporegime
Imagine watching yesterday and thinking Pogba was the problem, or did you lot just read the match report? Tactically we were set up completely wrong and Ole waited until half time to change what was obvious after 5 mins. We badly missed Martial's holdup play and Cavani is clearly not ready yet.

Shaw was one of the only players to play well yesterday along with Lindelof, bit weird to pick him out.

Caporegime
Imagine watching yesterday and thinking Pogba was the problem, or did you lot just read the match report? Tactically we were set up completely wrong and Ole waited until half time to change what was obvious after 5 mins. We badly missed Martial's holdup play and Cavani is clearly not ready yet.

Shaw was one of the only players to play well yesterday along with Lindelof, bit weird to pick him out.

Shaw has been Solid. He will be even better once Telles is back from Rona and can push him even further. People just over-react with yesterdays result like it was some super tactical mastery by Arteta. The game was decided by a silly foul by Pogba which could have easily gone the other way if Matic's one was given the other way. The whole narative would have been flipped on its head then. If we win our game in hand we are still only 2 points off Arsenal and Chelsea and 6 off the top.

The core problem with Arsenals game and Chelsea as well is Ole is scared to death of our defence and in turn has to play two defensive midfielders. If Tuanzebe can get his foot in we can drop to a single defensive midfielder, Fred would be my choice then play a midfield of Fernandes or Pogba and VDB. Would be far more balanced.

I am pretty sure anyway that now we get Martial back from his 3 game ban that things will be a lot better in the next month which in all fairness have been pretty decent this month. If we can win our back to backs with the Turkish team Ole can rest players for the final group stages and concentrate on the league.

We went backwards when Martial was out last year for three months so cannot wait to see him back playing in the prem.

Caporegime
We weren't really playing with two defensive midfielders yesterday, it's just McT was constantly out of position. He was supposed to be the right side of the diamond. There is a good analysis by Utdarena on twitter about how Fred and McT should have been switched. Fred is better in a box to box role and McT wants to play centrally.

Caporegime
We weren't really playing with two defensive midfielders yesterday, it's just McT was constantly out of position. He was supposed to be the right side of the diamond. There is a good analysis by Utdarena on twitter about how Fred and McT should have been switched. Fred is better in a box to box role and McT wants to play centrally.

Which is what Ole did for the second half no and we played much better? The point is Mctominay is not attacking enough and with Fred brought onto the right side of that midfield it would have been better to play VDB in that position anyway. Ole really has a problem as he is over saturated with midfielders and he isn't ruthless enough to pick the right formation rather than the big names. tbh it is nice that it is a problem with us since MF has been a major problem since Scholes and Carrick retired. We essential have two very strong midfield line ups essentially.

Back
Top Bottom