US: The Mandalorian

Soldato
@AStaley The Zahn books are the true follow on Trilogy, Disney's sad efforts are the ones that belong in the Legends section.

I liked the episode but I have some concerns about the series. I like the fan service so far, Cobb Vanth and Bobba Fett (although I hadn't previously known of Cobb) were good nice to use existing characters to progress the story instead of making new ones. Using Bo-Katan to advance the quest and add some alternative Madolorian perspective and answer why Pedro wears the helmet, good. Using Asoka is good but using her only for one episode as it seems. Well this is then beginning to get annoying. I like that it's a stripped down series, I like the Kung FU tv series like Western quest thing. But I'm not sure I like the canon being mined for guest of the week or maybe soft pilots for their own shows. Nic Nolte's or the Armourer's characters were ace in the first season and we have no equivalents this year. Those characters rooted the character philosophically. I don't think this make's it a bad show I'm just hoping that some of the canon characters become more persistant.

edit: also I hope we don't get too much Jedi because they're too overpowered after the prequel trilogy and I also thought Asoka attacking Mando was off. I always imagined Jedi seeking answers and peaceful solutions except where it is not possible. And surprise attacking a stranger, even a bounty hunter grates against that, and yes I know Asoka isn't a true Jedi.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Yet another poor showing.

Hunting a Jedi, and he doesn't even bring his jet-pack lol. Just another example of the terrible writing that plagues what would otherwise be a decent show.

Caporegime
Yet another poor showing.

Hunting a Jedi, and he doesn't even bring his jet-pack lol. Just another example of the terrible writing that plagues what would otherwise be a decent show.

But he wasn't "hunting" a Jedi was he? He was looking for a Jedi that he was told about in the previous episode.

Don
I'm honestly not understanding the complaints certain people have in here.

It's a nigh on perfect series that I'd happily rate as highly as the original trilogy.

Even my wife is enjoying it and she has never liked star wars

I'd love to know what sci-fi series people honestly rate better than this in terms of family entertainment?

Soldato
The filler lines are highly odd I must admit. What exactly are folks looking for given every episode advances things a little bit and we learn lore about things we didn't know about? This obliterates the last 3 films unless folks are wanting more of that drivel.

It is a simple straightforward show from Disney. No stupid mini/sub etc storylines everywhere, game of thrones in space this obviously isn't.

Soldato

It's a nigh on perfect series that I'd happily rate as highly as the original trilogy.

I'd love to know what sci-fi series people honestly rate better than this in terms of family entertainment?

The Expanse

However, I do agree with you. I absolutely love the series so far and to see Ahsoka from Clone Wars absolutely made it for me. Not to mention the ineffectiveness of bescar against a sabre. That was jaw dropping.
They've got some incredible videography going on and I love it...so damn good! To me, this series is heaven!

Soldato

Meh, I thought 3 of the episodes last season were average at best and if I ever watched the series again I'd probably skip them. Same for episode 2 this season but in general it's been an improvement on the filler front. People try to use the 'It's a western' excuse for it but honestly I genuinely couldn't care less about some farmer planet being attacked by bandits. Keep the story moving, there's so many interesting plot threads already that get 15 minutes a season and then we have to wait another year for the next 15 minutes.

I think if seasons were longer and 40% of it wasn't unquestionably filler the complaints wouldn't be anywhere near as frequent.

Last edited:
Soldato
No stupid mini/sub etc storylines everywhere

But this is it. There's just the one story line, which barely moves and he's just doing side missions each week. Ep1, kill someone's beast (nothing to do with main plot). Ep2, transport fish lady (she's nothing to do with main plot). Ep3, we met 3 Mandolorians, but of course they were there just for that episode. He had to help them steal a ship, right? (nothing to do with main plot). Ep 4 He has to help Carl Weathers destroy a base, I think (nothing to do with main plot). Last week, he's helping this Jedi free a town (nothing to do with main plot).

Maybe I'm being harsh saying they're nothing to do with the main plot as sometimes for doing his side mission he gets a new name or new destination, but still...

As I've said, I do still watch and I do enjoy, but it's certainly no masterpiece, it's mainly style over substance.

Anyway, I feel we can move nowhere with discussion in here, some seem very defensive, so I'll bow out.

Caporegime
It doesn't matter. The Jedi didn't know this, hence her ambush.

Still wouldn't have made a difference given the way he was attacked. If you want to be pedantic about it then why didn't he just fly around in his ship til he found her? There's always going to be questions about why didn't they do this or that, the episode was better for the brief confrontation between the 2 than it would have been without it.

Last edited:
Soldato
But this is it. There's just the one story line, which barely moves and he's just doing side missions each week. Ep1, kill someone's beast (nothing to do with main plot). Ep2, transport fish lady (she's nothing to do with main plot). Ep3, we met 3 Mandolorians, but of course they were there just for that episode. He had to help them steal a ship, right? (nothing to do with main plot). Ep 4 He has to help Carl Weathers destroy a base, I think (nothing to do with main plot). Last week, he's helping this Jedi free a town (nothing to do with main plot).

Maybe I'm being harsh saying they're nothing to do with the main plot as sometimes for doing his side mission he gets a new name or new destination, but still...

As I've said, I do still watch and I do enjoy, but it's certainly no masterpiece, it's mainly style over substance.

Anyway, I feel we can move nowhere with discussion in here, some seem very defensive, so I'll bow out.

I think your just looking at each episode individually and missing how each of those episodes are linking together. It's starting to become clear who is going to feature in the final showdown of the season but what's not clear is how. It looks like where going to see one more significant character this season, possible in the next episode.

Episode 1: He got the second set of armour and a new ally which will no doubt feature in the final showdown the season (also Boba Fett hint - twice now).
Episode 2: He made contact with the new republic which will do doubt feature in another episode later in the story.
Episode 3: Those 3 Mandalorians clearly have a campaign against the empire which will no doubt feature in a future episode
Episode 4: There was some key plot elements in that base which you must have missed ;)
Episode 5: Not sure what your missing here, this was clearly the most important episode to date. Contact with a Jedi, the Child has a name, beskar spear and potential training.

I expect were going to see Moff Gideon again next time round too

Remember season 3 already confirmed and is almost certainly written at this point, this storyline is split across those three seasons (24 episodes in total). All of these people he is meeting a long the way will be a key person by the end of season 3. This is the way. :p

Soldato
I think your just looking at each episode individually and missing how each of those episodes are linking together. It's starting to become clear who is going to feature in the final showdown of the season but what's not clear is how. It looks like where going to see one more significant character this season, possible in the next episode.

Episode 1: He got the second set of armour and a new ally which will no doubt feature in the final showdown the season (also Boba Fett hint - twice now).
Episode 2: He made contact with the new republic which will do doubt feature in another episode later in the story.
Episode 3: Those 3 Mandalorians clearly have a campaign against the empire which will no doubt feature in a future episode
Episode 4: There was some key plot elements in that base which you must have missed ;)
Episode 5: Not sure what your missing here, this was clearly the most important episode to date. Contact with a Jedi, the Child has a name, beskar spear and potential training.

I expect were going to see Moff Gideon again next time round too

Remember season 3 already confirmed and is almost certainly written at this point, this storyline is split across those three seasons (24 episodes in total). All of these people he is meeting a long the way will be a key person by the end of season 3. This is the way. :p
The leader of the 3 Mandalorians is after Moff Gideon too, she wants the DarkSaber

I think the main issue is that there's a bunch of main threads getting very little time to develop. Eight 30-40 minute episodes just isn't enough for the story they seem to want to tell. Episode 2, despite introducing a new important element to the story, ends up feeling like filler because they're basically a 2 minute cameo and the rest doesn't really matter in the end.

It's similar to The Clone Wars but doesn't have 22 episodes a season to tell it's story.

Back
Top Bottom