The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I have not read this thread at all I will admit, and will do tomorrow. But for now, just wanted to say, I got on board the DE razor thing the other day when I bought a Merkur 34C. I just had my first shave with it and it was poor. Ok that's being kind. It was probably the worst shave I've ever had. I used the blade that came with it in the box. It just felt like it was either really blunt, or not enough of the blade was sticking out to cut. Overall just complete *****. I tried all sorts. At first I was scared to rip into my face and was very careful. By the end I was confident it would not cut me and was pulling and digging it in quite aggressively like a cartirdge just to get it to cut.
I have looked at youtube videos where the sheet weight of the razor is meant to be enough to cut. They tell you to be oh so careful as it's so sharp and to just get the angle right and let the blade do the work. Er... no.

Someone reassure me the supplied blade is utter tosh? I will try a different type and then make judgement. This is 100% not bad technique I swear.

:confused:

Associate
I have not read this thread at all I will admit, and will do tomorrow. But for now, just wanted to say, I got on board the DE razor thing the other day when I bought a Merkur 34C. I just had my first shave with it and it was poor. Ok that's being kind. It was probably the worst shave I've ever had. I used the blade that came with it in the box. It just felt like it was either really blunt, or not enough of the blade was sticking out to cut. Overall just complete *****. I tried all sorts. At first I was scared to rip into my face and was very careful. By the end I was confident it would not cut me and was pulling and digging it in quite aggressively like a cartirdge just to get it to cut.

I have looked at youtube videos where the sheet weight of the razor is meant to be enough to cut. They tell you to be oh so careful as it's so sharp and to just get the angle right and let the blade do the work. Er... no.

Someone reassure me the supplied blade is utter tosh? I will try a different type and then make judgement. This is 100% not bad technique I swear.

did you have plenty of lather and warm your face with a hot flannel /towel before applying lather? did you make short small strokes rinising the blade after each one? the merkur blades are poor, get some feathers or polsilver super iridiums, it is hard at first it gets a lot better when you get a solid technique. watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IuA8HGacJw

Soldato
did you have plenty of lather and warm your face with a hot flannel /towel before applying lather? did you make short small strokes rinising the blade after each one? the merkur blades are poor, get some feathers or polsilver super iridiums, it is hard at first it gets a lot better when you get a solid technique. watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IuA8HGacJw

Yes.
Yes.
My mate did say it was all about finding a blade that works for you so I was expecting that, but for the first shave to be so bad...hmm. Let me emphasize, I did not cut myself or give myself a rash. It was not painful. It was just not cutting. Honestly I have even watched youtube vids to ensure I was prepping right and all that.
If it makes any difference, with cartridge blades I was brutal and aggressive with them and my face skin could take it. It is very resistant to rash and cuts. My hairs are quite tough.
It's not to do with the 34C is it? Is it like too "safe" a safety razor? Do I need something more aggressive? It is not adjustable I mean.

I guess I will go order some sample blade packs.

Soldato

Yes like I say, that was to try anything to get it to cut. Read what I put. I know that's not the proper way.

EDIT. I didn't make that very clear sorry. I know to let the blade do the work and not dig in. I was just trying anything at that point to make a cut. Even being a tool it would not even cut me, as in, draw blood. Must be the blade. I just cant believe they would supply such a poor blade as it will put people off using the razor.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I thought the 34C was adjustable? Doesn't it have six settings?

Anyway, if your technique is 100% correct then you're a better man than literally everybody who starts DE shaving for the first time ;) Assuming your technique is at least not God awful then I'd suggest it's your cream/soap, application of said, or blade. My bet would be on the supplied blade first, the application of the cream/soap second, and the cream/soap itself third. Or maybe all three.

Soldato
The 34C is not adjustable no.

Almost sounds like you don't have a blade in at all! :p Are you sure you don't think the head you screw on is the blade? :p ;) Like you said, try some other blades, the supplied ones are rubbish!

Soldato
On a related note, can people lost their top three razor blade brands? :)

I haven't tried that many but mine would be:

Feathers, Sharks, Merkurs.

Associate
Yes like I say, that was to try anything to get it to cut. Read what I put. I know that's not the proper way.

EDIT. I didn't make that very clear sorry. I know to let the blade do the work and not dig in. I was just trying anything at that point to make a cut. Even being a tool it would not even cut me, as in, draw blood. Must be the blade. I just cant believe they would supply such a poor blade as it will put people off using the razor.

jaybee, the only thing i can think of is you actually did something that i did once when i got my first 34c -- you put the razor together incorrectly.

its a 3 piece yeah ?you unscrew the handle and are left with a curvy top bit and a flat-ish other part. ?? its actually possible to have that flatish part the wrong way up and if you assemble it back together this way its virtually impossible if not impossible to shave with as the blade is not curved enough to project beyond the guard.

i really hope this helps and it was the case; as i said i did it myself when i forst got my merkur and was very puzzzled why it wasnt cutting lol. GL m8y

Associate
:)Polsilver super iridiums, voskhods, sputniks are my faves, i have tried loads of others and these are the best 3 for me. I use taylor of old bond street creams and a badger brush ( only a cheap one the vulvix grosvenor, brilliant for a tenner from shaving shack with 10 free blades of your choice)

I had a shave with the 37c slant this morning and it is a fantastic razor, to the guy having issues you may want to buy a 37c slant or a open comb muhle or r41 or fatip grande. Much more aggressive than a 34c

Caporegime
I went through a huge list of blades I found on B&B years ago - almost none of which I can remember now - but I only use Feathers these days. They have no duration but they work really well for me so I order them in 100s.

Soldato
I bought 100 blades of Derby blades for £8.25 for my Edwin Jagger.

After using a blade once for a shave I throw it away and replace it next time I shave.

Is using a blade once and then throwing it away wasteful? But they're 100 blades for £8.25!

Associate
derbys are rubbish, get some decent blades, astra, voskhods, sharks, polsilver super iridiums, sputniks, rapira. i can tell you where to get 100 sharks or 100 rapira for under a fiver if you want to try them? then you really can throw em away after 1 shave, i get 3 shaves from 1 blade at least

Soldato
jaybee, the only thing i can think of is you actually did something that i did once when i got my first 34c -- you put the razor together incorrectly.

its a 3 piece yeah ?you unscrew the handle and are left with a curvy top bit and a flat-ish other part. ?? its actually possible to have that flatish part the wrong way up and if you assemble it back together this way its virtually impossible if not impossible to shave with as the blade is not curved enough to project beyond the guard.

i really hope this helps and it was the case; as i said i did it myself when i forst got my merkur and was very puzzzled why it wasnt cutting lol. GL m8y

I can't visualize this without it in front of me but all I did was:

1: Unscrew the end bit
2: Take curved top bit off
3: Put supplied blade in
4: Put curved top bit back on
EDIT: 5: Screw end bit back up

I don't think it's possible to muck that up is it? The bit you describe I didn't think moved and was fixed to the main shaft?

Last edited:
Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;24631881 said:
I went through a huge list of blades I found on B&B years ago - almost none of which I can remember now - but I only use Feathers these days. They have no duration but they work really well for me so I order them in 100s.

I agree with all points. The first Feathers shave is a delight.

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;24632340 said:
The first Feathers shave tends to go like this:

ME : this'll be easy!
F : no
ME : oops, cut myself a little bit there!
ME : dammit, nicked myself again!
ME : OH MY GOD I'VE CUT MY ENTIRE NECK OFF!
F: yes

:cool:

Ha ha, I thought that would be me so I was rather tentative with my 1st Feather shave and since then I've grow to be a little bit braver.

I did 'top' a mole off though with a 7 O'clock Sharp when I was rushing as I had a promise of a real ale sesh and was all excited (learnt that particular lesson!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom