**The Mental Health Thread**

Associate
Greetings All!

Welcome to the Mental Health Thread :)

I Think we need a dedicated thread to mental health where we can seek advice, support and just talk about whatever's on our minds regarding mental health.

A lot of people suffer in silence and this forum has a lovely community which should reach out to each other, so feel free to open up about what is on/in your mind.

I personally have a type of antisocial personality disorder, anxiety/mild panic attack, adhd, up/down depression but i know if i ever had a break down i could reach out to you guys.

So feel free to let it all out!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
both are really bad conditions. I have friends with both, but it seems the lass with bipolar really has a bad time. One week shes happy and everything is good in the world the next week shes been sectioned to a women's refuge :(

Soldato
When it comes to mental health, meds isn't always the answer but help and support from people is. Even if its a bunch of strangers off the internet.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Depends on how the thread goes I suppose. If it becomes "Yo, get off the generic-opram, St John's Wort is the new thing" Then I could see it getting closed.

If it's simply a mutual support/positive help thread I think that would be ok.
This. Please don’t discuss treatments or drugs and keep it to support messages.

Soldato
When it comes to mental health, meds isn't always the answer but help and support from people is. Even if its a bunch of strangers off the internet.
Sometimes it is just getting the feelings out there. I was on medication before for my anxiety and OCD and lost most of my hair making me worse and ended up with cuts...

3 years ago, I stopped the medication, learnt how to deal with the brunt of how I feel. Yes, I had bad days, and yes some days I want to give up. But it is liberating to deal with it on my own, anyone can do it, but everyone ticks differently.

I approve of this thread personally. :)

Soldato
I went cold-turkey on medication ~15 years ago, so I could appreciate good days more, rather than feeling like nothing made me feel good or bad. Not the cleverest approach, probably should have tapered off the meds.

This year, I've found cycling in addition to my commutes has really helped (from ~5 to ~85 miles, from pan-flat to ~4600 feet of hill reps earlier today), not only in getting me outdoors when not at work but also the aerobic exercise itself. When I don't get out for a ride for a few days, like recently with a cold, I notice my mood worsens.

Soldato
Genuine mental health problems are not nice. Seeing someone shout at things that don't exist is quite uncomfortable. I don't really think jokes about it should be made in this thread as it genuinely could impact someone...

Soldato
I have developed anxiety issues over the last few years which I have learned is because I have a highly analytical mind which is conflicted when I try to solve hyperthetycal problems in the same way as you would a practical problem.

GP was amazing, totally understanding and referred me really quickly to speak to someone. Talking about it and getting help was the best thing I ever did.

Soldato
Genuine mental health problems are not nice. Seeing someone shout at things that don't exist is quite uncomfortable. I don't really think jokes about it should be made in this thread as it genuinely could impact someone...

Exactly.

My uncle basically drank himself to death as he couldn’t deal with the voices he was hearing. He told me he couldn’t deal with it anymore and just wanted it all to end, he got his wish. Very stressful time for his wife and kids.

Associate
Sometimes it is just getting the feelings out there. I was on medication before for my anxiety and OCD and lost most of my hair making me worse and ended up with cuts...

3 years ago, I stopped the medication, learnt how to deal with the brunt of how I feel. Yes, I had bad days, and yes some days I want to give up. But it is liberating to deal with it on my own, anyone can do it, but everyone ticks differently.

I approve of this thread personally. :)
I have developed anxiety issues over the last few years which I have learned is because I have a highly analytical mind which is conflicted when I try to solve hyperthetycal problems in the same way as you would a practical problem.

GP was amazing, totally understanding and referred me really quickly to speak to someone. Talking about it and getting help was the best thing I ever did.

Have you guys had the psychical problems with anxiety or just the mental side? My GP was crap basically just gave me tablets did not tell me about any support etc he has since retired now as of last month, Not been there for a year or so.

Soldato
Have you guys had the psychical problems with anxiety or just the mental side? My GP was crap basically just gave me tablets did not tell me about any support etc he has since retired now as of last month, Not been there for a year or so.

For me it made me restless, irritable, stopped sleeping for long periods of time and basically not really that great to be around when I was suffering. It ended up with me self harming and pretty much not wanting to carry on (it got that bad). GP was amazing, I think he knew already there was something I needed help with and got me the help that was needed.

He was very "drugs as a last resort" and he knew I wasn't keen. I personally think I just needed a bit of prod in the right direction.

Soldato
Been on a slow spiral downwards since my 20's, now 36.

Decided to speak to a doctor 6 months ago, taking medication now for depression. I'm less snappy all the time, more relaxed and generally feeling better, however, it's opened up another can of worms for me in that old behaviour I had before the depression has returned.

My wife (been with her since we were 16) seems to be a major trigger for me, self-harming, had a really bad instance where I was suicidal, packed the kids off to my mother in laws while my wife was at a hen do. I feel asleep and felt better when I woke. Binge eating, risk-taking, fast driving, paranoia and generally self-destructive behaviour to name a few. Work is my constant, I'm doing very well in my new job but there have been a few cases of TL's and managers going off to meetings under odd circumstances. Always feel it's about me, what have I done wrong etc. It's not about me, everyone there loves me and I am being fast-tracked due to how fast I am picking it up.

Back to see my doctor at the end of the month to talk about BPD (borderline personality disorder) and talking treatments.

Generally, I can keep my behaviour under control, apart from instances and binge eating (it's like I am never full) but it's all mental power, forcing myself not to cut, not to hurt myself.

I think the most important thing is talking about it. I've been very honest with everyone about my depression, not really spoken about the rest yet because my wife isn't always comfortable with it. But talking helps, there are millions of people just like me and you, people with issues, people getting treatment. You aren't odd or broken.

Associate
For me it made me restless, irritable, stopped sleeping for long periods of time and basically not really that great to be around when I was suffering. It ended up with me self harming and pretty much not wanting to carry on (it got that bad). GP was amazing, I think he knew already there was something I needed help with and got me the help that was needed.

He was very "drugs as a last resort" and he knew I wasn't keen. I personally think I just needed a bit of prod in the right direction.

My Anxiety started when my dog died right in front of me in august of 2015, Never felt a sadness like it, it was crippling, I am guessing that's where the mental side of things has stemmed from, in November that's when the physical symptoms started, Adrenaline rushes out of nowhere, Panic attacks, Heart beating a million times a second, Trouble sleeping could stay awake for days feeling tired but unable to sleep, Trouble breathing with chest pains everything under the sun, I think my condition is like a hybrid between PTSD and Anxiety.

I am nowhere near as bad as that now I was having panic attacks about three times a day up until about second half of 2016, It was an absolute nightmare, I am still Anxious about my breathing a bit and I still get sad sometimes (I am just glad i'm not having many panic attacks nowadays) those are really terrible things, I've never been suicidal though.

When the doctor told me anxiety could be the cause I was dumbfounded as up till my dogs death, I was very arrogant in my ways of thinking, Like a hard layer of "Thick skin" was eroded away to reveal a million different emotions.

Back
Top Bottom